Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How to learn Glide Kip

Jurre

I want to say Reisports men's grips are all about $50 a pair. No idea what that amounts to in Holland or if there are import taxes and what not.

Definitely make up some tape grips that can be reuseable by just slipping them on and wrapping a piece of tape around your wrists.

Daniel Burnham

Several people in my gym have learned up to Giants with tape grips only.

The other day I actually saw a guy do 3 giants to a release move without grips. Also in tennis shoes :)

Katharina Huemer

I also think grips are not necessary if you can't do a kip or doing bigger circling skills. Anyways, I can recommend "Ginnasta". their grips are awesome, they are sooo soft from the beginning on so they take no time to break in. they are around 35$ plus shipping is about 15$ to Europe. They also sell wristbands which you should get!

Will go for the tape grips than!

That´s insane Daniel. 

Can´t wait till I get to some more impressive skills.

So got some more questions after class yesterday.

I think this slowly will turn into a thread where I ask questions about gymnastics all around instead of just the glide kip lol.

Anyway,

Is there anything to lose the pain in upperarm swings? Or should I just toughen up? I can take pain, but this felt as if my skin was getting torn off.

... Is there anything to lose the pain in upperarm swings? Or should I just toughen up? I can take pain, but this felt as if my skin was getting torn off ...

Incredibily painful at first isn't it?   ;)

Don't worry your arms will toughen up over time with these.  Just be sure to build up to them gradually.  When your upper arms have had enough upper arm swings for the day, move on to something else.  There is no benefit with trying to push thru the pain.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 1

Owh boy, this is going to be rougher than it thought!

Did about one swing and got some bruising on my upper arm lol.

Everytime I get home from class i'm bruised up, good times.

Katharina Huemer

Oh, that's a hard question.

Having strong shouldes, triceps and a good core/hip flexor strength definitely helps with a glide kip.

I have seen some boys, who sometimes go to open gym, who kip at their first few tries but really this is not even a kip. It looks like a kipping muscle up.

The better the technique, the less strength you need!!! Like with all skills!!

Stronger is always better. But if I had to guess, I would say if you can do 3-4 leg lifts on a free hanging bar and 5 good tricep push ups, you should be strong enough to make it! But as I said, stronger is always better and you should aim towards several leg lifts on stall bars, tons of hollow body rocks, L-Sits, straddle L-Sits, dips and pull-ups. Chin-Up Pullovers are also great.

Please excuse if I might be wrong and feel free to correct my statement. This is simply my personal opinion!!!

• Upvote 1

Upper arm swings are pretty rough to start, especially for adults. I generally let my adult class females and kids use wristbands pulled up over their upper arms. Some gyms have bar pads or just homemade ones made of insulation foam.

Which is why you generally start off with upper arm holds, then shrugs, then swings. I've seen some coaches have them do the holds where the body is sort of prone with the chest faced toward the floor and the insteps on the rails as well as doing them the opposite of this with the chest facing the ceiling and calves/achilles on the rails. I guess you could also do them with the feet on floor or on a block to take off some load.

But where your arm rests also happens to bruise pretty easily and often be pretty close to a pressure point between the bicep and tricep and a blood vessel. Awesome huh? :evil:

I often start my little guys doing them on P-blocks with bent knees so their feet will clear. This is also good for support swings for really little boys since you can adjust the blocks closer than the rails will go and keep it low to the floor in case they spill. Also handy as another circuit station in case you only have one set of PB/

• Upvote 1

An often said metric for glide kip on a single rail is 10 Hanging Leg lifts.

I like to addend this with a 30 second L-sit/hang and 10 second V-hang as just nice goals. I've had girls kip who couldn't do these much less do 10 correct HLL.

Furthermore you could say 60 or 90 second hollow hold and start naming off all kinds of other stuff. Umm of course they should be able to do elbows in pushups and a hollow hold for 60 seconds and 30 second L-sit, etc.

Also bare in mind, a Long Hang Kip is easier than a glide kip (unless you have a short kid with the lower rail set really high so they barely have to scoop/pike at all). I generally think a PB glide kip is more difficult than a single rail low bar kip if it's a glide kip and not a long hang kip.

As for push/pull strength this is hard to measure since it's supposed to be a straight arm movement. Ideally a legless rope climb and the ability to do some kind of dipping. Sometimes I can get the girls over on PB but often it's just the single rails for convenience due to doing them at the end or beginning of a rotation.

• Upvote 1

Jeez,

Last time I got a lot more compression. Tried to stick my legs through the pbars right behind my hand sort of feeling, but I just don´t understand where to go after the compression. Everytime I go completely horizontal with the p bars, can´t seem to get unto them.

Also, thanks Blairbob. Will start of with the wristbands, probably got some laying around. 
How long will it be this rough? Keeping in mind i'll only do it once a week I think it will be bugging me a long time..

Edited by Jurre

No idea. Bare in mind my boys would pretty much hit PB twice a week at that level and my girls and adult females...they would pretty much never want to do upper arm swings again. :P

It didn't take me long to get used to them but I was in my early 20's. I also did some stupid things like forcing myself to slam on the bar in upper arm to get used to it from swings. So it was a fast transition because I'd hit PB probably as soon as it wasn't horribly sensitive.

It also probably depends on how much meat you have on your arms and propensity to bruise.

I am 20 so I got that going. I got some meat on my arms. But yeah we'll see what happens. Will Slowly start incorporating them.

Timothy Aiken

Several people in my gym have learned up to Giants with tape grips only.

The other day I actually saw a guy do 3 giants to a release move without grips. Also in tennis shoes :)

At one of the gyms I go to, one of the boys did a few giants to full in without grips on the girls bar. 

Had some huge soreness in the triceps after doing upper arm support swings. Didn't feel as painfull as before though. Not that bad anymore.

Hey, sorry to hijack this thread, I am on the journey for a glide kip also! I've started glide kips a few months ago when I had access to gymnastics facility... 

Here's a video of my second session trying them, as you can see I end up with bent arms at the top, why is this??

http://instagram.com/p/rsRQVKwB8P/?modal=true

p.s. I was a bit weak this session, the last had destroyed my abdominals o.o which is why I did it with bent legs...

Daniel Burnham

Hey, sorry to hijack this thread, I am on the journey for a glide kip also! I've started glide kips a few months ago when I had access to gymnastics facility...

Here's a video of my second session trying them, as you can see I end up with bent arms at the top, why is this??

http://instagram.com/p/rsRQVKwB8P/?modal=true

p.s. I was a bit weak this session, the last had destroyed my abdominals o.o which is why I did it with bent legs...

Don't do it with bent legs!!! Glide kip requires full extension of the body to be executed properly. When the shoulders go completely open and your legs are in front extended you bend at the hips and pull toes to bar as you swing back. Then at the bottom of the swing as your body begins to rise in the back you open the hips again creating upward momentum.

Late hip closure and extension will shoot you backwards off the bar. Insufficient extension in either the swing out or up will create a lack of momentum and mean you will end up on the bar with bent arms.

• Upvote 2

Daniel covered most of the points why.

You need to wait on initiating the PUSH down for the kip. It's a bit early. Well besides the tuck glide and not really bringing your toes/ankles to the bar as only your thighs come to the bar.

And the head out when grabbing the bar in the first part.

So head in ears like a handstand, hollow body, at the end of the swing pull the toes to the bar...?

I did it with bent legs then because my abs hurt too much from the previous week >.<

Is it more of a hanging leg raise or should I initiate the toes pull with hips?

Helps to be strong sometimes. I still think you kip a bit early and don't get the hip compression I'd like but...it helps to be strong.

Michael, as to the kip it's more like glide out, bring toes back, let ass swing back and push down to support. Gotta let the hips swing back as you gain momentum from going from a straight body to a folded body (increasing rotation like spinning in a chair and then bringing the knees in).

This is why the basket swings higher and higher is so good. At some point you figure out how to use the shoulders to push/pull higher and higher in the back. Then push down and end up in V-sit.  :D

• Upvote 1

I've got a question about the front tuck, which I decided to ask in here since i've been asking a lot of not glide kip related stuff in here anyway.

So when trying to front tuck in the foam pit I get a pretty powerfull 'tuck'. I spin quite fast, but I tend to always jump forward instead of upwards. I can't seem to fix this in anyway. 
Do you guys have any cues or tips to improve this? It's making me lose my mind lol. Seems so easy to just jump upwards.. 

Katharina Huemer

I've got a question about the front tuck, which I decided to ask in here since i've been asking a lot of not glide kip related stuff in here anyway.

So when trying to front tuck in the foam pit I get a pretty powerfull 'tuck'. I spin quite fast, but I tend to always jump forward instead of upwards. I can't seem to fix this in anyway. 

Do you guys have any cues or tips to improve this? It's making me lose my mind lol. Seems so easy to just jump upwards.. 

Hard to tell without a video. But it is a common mistake to jump forward an not up.

The secret is usually in the hurdle.You should have a long, low hurdle, taking off with the balls of your feet, feet in FRONT of the body, not behind and leaning forward.

Practice the tuck from just one jump, practice the hurdle itself, practice the hurdle from a few steps.

good luck!

• Upvote 1