Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

My gymnastics!

Ivan

Coach Sommer

Ivan,

Very nicely done! I am impressed. Very nice line and good physical preparation; both in terms of physical strength and flexibility. You have obviously worked very hard and it shows. What recent competitions have you attended?

Several small items that came to mind while watching your video:

1) You alter your basic parallel bar swing and pike slightly through the bottom of the swing during your dismounts. This is understandable and quite common, but reduces the efficiency of your swing at the exact moment when you need it most.

2) Very nice tumbling. On the front 2/1 twist, not piking the hips at the 1 3/4 twist mark may allow you to either tumble out of it or to add an additional 1/2 twist.

3) I am sure that you are already aware of this, but you look as though you are ready to add a 1/2 twist and/or 3/2 twist at the end of your double arabian (that is what we call it here in the US, I am referring to the half twist to double front out of back handspring).

4) I also enjoyed your handstand work. Very nice bodyline. It was nice to see that you are spending time on developing the 1/2 pike press handstands for higher reps; these build tremendous stability and active flexibility in the shoulder girdle. A friend of mine once participated in a US exhibition tour with Alexy Nemov after the 2000 Olympics and watched him perform 50 of these in a row one evening as part of his warmup.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Hi coach sommer :) thank you for taking time to response to my thread, i think this is a very good site and its nice that you are spreading the gymnastics way of training! :D

im coming from a long break, i had my last competition 2007 as a senior in swedish nationals, i have been back for 1 month now and its starting to feel pretty good :)

i dont have any coach with me in the gym so its very nice of you to give me some advice, my swing from handstand in pbars are different from time to time so i have some problems with my diamidovs and dismounts, but i guess its just to swing more so i feel more secure in the bottom of the swing, got any advice?

I will try to put in a extra twist on the 2/1 front, and with the arabians my goal now is to do it in pike first, E value is nice :D

and im thinkin of trying to tumble out of the arabian and also from the double front, but i guess that takes alot of leg strenght but its possible! :)

50 1/2 pike press handstands is really impressive ;O but comin from a gymnast as nemov it doesnt suprise me, i heard from a russian coach here in sweden that Rustam Sharipov did 120 swings to handstand with turn!

Im the only competitive male gymnast in the gym so im struggling abit with my motivation.

I will post more skills later and i hope you have time to respond to them to :) its nice to have some feedback from someone with youre knowledge. // Ivan

Nice work, I'm impresed on handstand and presses work :wink:

How old are you?

Coach Sommer
my swing from handstand in pbars are different from time to time so i have some problems with my diamidovs and dismounts, but i guess its just to swing more so i feel more secure in the bottom of the swing, got any advice?

My first piece of advice is that it is important to remember that a swing on parallel bars is performed in a hang; or more specifically a hang in between your two hands. Relaxing and allowing the body to stay open through the bottom of the swing will increase the power available for performing skills. There should be no active pressing down on the bars; until it necessary to initiate the block into a skill, for example a diamidov or dismount.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

matthew.percussion

Ivan, I know how it is to be 'alone' in the gym. The rest of my team are 11 and below. I'm 17 now... Motivation is really difficult for me too.

How tall are you?

Same ´here my motivation is crap.. im the only aspiring to achieve something and the rest of the guys are below 10 years.. besides that im with an´injury that needs operation and wont be ok till after christmas..and my gym is nothing worthy of even an amateur....... my motivation is still ok though, keep it going ivan!!!! :twisted:

Hi Ivan

My gym is at home (only doing the basicstenght training) :D ! I always liked bodyweight traning and I got even more inspired when my son started traning a couple of years ago. He trains in Akeshov. So I´ve seen most of the swedish top gymnasts but I did not recognize you so I askd my son if he recognized the traininghall he told me it was in Uppsala. He was there and trained over the weekend a year ago. Again hope you start competing again you should have great chance in P-bars

Joshua Naterman

Your handstands are amazing! I hope to have that kind of active shoulder flexibility one day :) I don't even have the passive flexibility to reach that position in a stretch now lol!

Thx for all the comments :) i will post more vids in a month maybe when i have gotten a lil better!! and i will film routines when its time for competition :D

im 1,69 cm tall

// Peace

• 1 year later...

I don't know how i'm just finding this. I'm amazed getting that far without a coach. Everything is great but the handstand is really one of the better i've seen!!! If no one else will help motivate you keep posting here and we'll help keep up the stoke!

Kudos!