Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Maltese/Swallow on floor

Mats Trane

Ahh, one of my favorite skills. Has anyone else here achieved it and has any of coach's gymnasts achieved it? I hear that most male gymnasts don't it have since they don't train it probably because it is underrated on floor (C rated instead of D).

Alexander Egebak

Yes, that is called a maltese press to Japanese HS or Alvarino which is a D skill, but it should actually be an E.

Can you call it a variation of HBP, but with straight arms and with hands apart?

Can you call it a variation of HBP, but with straight arms and with hands apart?

Yes, but why would you? HBP is nowhere even near being in the ballpark of this skill and there is hardly any carryover.

• Upvote 1

Alexander Egebak

Yes, but why would you? HBP is nowhere even near being in the ballpark of this skill and there is hardly any carryover.

I know, I just wanted to understand the mechanics

• 2 weeks later...

Is floor maltese harder than ring maltese ?

Floor maltese is C rated skill and ring maltese is D, so it is harder on rings. :)

Floor maltese is C rated skill and ring maltese is D, so it is harder on rings. :)

Not sure which is harder, but I heard that the floor maltese is an underrated skill and should be a D like on rings. There are people who can do a rings maltese, but not a floor maltese.

Alessandro Mainente

The fact that the floor maltese has a minor value is not relevant to say what is harder. this because due to the nature of the floor exercise the gymnasts are discouraged to insert strength elements (like holds) in favor of tumbling skills.

Floor maltese of brandon is arched but probably he can manage and accept some deductions in order to have a reasonable score in that apparatus.

for the rest i have the same pov of B1214N.

• Upvote 1

Wow balandin's "interlude" between passes was the longest i've ever seen. Maltese press to japanese>roll to maltese>russian circles>press to japanese hs whaaaaat

As his tumbling is relatively weak in comparison to a world class all arounder, Balandin is wisely using his strength/non-acrobatic elements to substantially increase his floor routine start value during that corner transition.

Watching the front 1 3/4 during his third pass, brought pack a painful memory. I once learned the hard way that it is a bad idea to open out of that tuck position early while completing the roll out at the end of the skill!  :facepalm: 

Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer

• Upvote 1

As his tumbling is relatively weak in comparison to a world class all arounder, Balandin is wisely using his strength/non-acrobatic elements to substantially increase his floor routine start value during that corner transition.

Watching the front 1 3/4 during his third pass, brought pack a painful memory. I once learned the hard way that it is a bad idea to open out of that tuck position early while completing the roll out at the end of the skill!  :facepalm: 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Cracked skull?

Poor focus just before the turn. Failed to take the skill seriously. Insufficient mastery of the lead-up progressions. Landed just past the top of my head. Lots of 'crunching' sounds.

Walked around with my neck bent at a 45 degree angle for a week. Never have been so happy to only have a hurt neck. Somehow managed to live long enough to know better.

As I constantly reminded my own athletes, "There are stupid gymnasts and there are old gymnasts. There are however no old, stupid gymnasts."

Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer

• Upvote 5