Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

New Forum Look (Preview)

Scott Malin

In order to provide visual consistency across all aspects of the website, we are releasing a new forum theme in the near future. Before you panic, it will be optional for the time being so as not to force a jarring transition on anyone. :)

I have opened availability of this new theme in the later stages of development in order to allow community input. This theme is a 'light' one in the style of the new homepage and can be chosen at the bottom left of the forums under Themes and then GB Light. While we will not be making any sweeping changes at this point, we welcome feedback on it. Please remember that it is a preview and not everything is final or may work yet 100%.

flat_theme1.png

Bill Köhntopp

well...i like the dark theme actually, because i'm reading in forums before going to bed with my tablet, its easier for the eyes when everything else is dark :)

just my 2 cents

• Upvote 2

Michaël Van den Berg

Thank you, Cory! I've been waiting for a light theme for a looooong time! I always find dark backgrounds with a light font very straining on my eyes.

Hi Cory, when I use the GB Light I cant see what I writing. The Box is black and as I type I don't see the letters I'm typing.

I'm on an iPad using Chrome.

Merunas Astrauskas

I like the clean design of the theme, good job! Will there also be a 'dark' version in a similar design? (otherwise late night lurking will be a painful affair)

• Upvote 2

Hi Cory, when I use the GB Light I cant see what I writing. The Box is black and as I type I don't see the letters I'm typing.

I'm on an iPad using Chrome.

I will take a look at it. There will be some additional visual improvements as well depending upon input.

I like the clean design of the theme, good job! Will there also be a 'dark' version in a similar design? (otherwise late night lurking will be a painful affair)

The way around this is to set the triple click shortcut to "invert colors".  when late at night, just triple click and instantly it's dark.  

Rajan Shankara

Clean, light, its better. I recommend keeping the athletes in the background but blend them so they are lighter, like a Livecode blend, just changing the transparency till its sleek. Also lose the bright white and go with the blue, same blue from the homepage but lighter, also with a blend.

Nice Work

Jonathan Pettit

The way around this is to set the triple click shortcut to "invert colors".  when late at night, just triple click and instantly it's dark.  

Can you explain this in more detail?  I far prefer reading against a dark background on screen.

Christopher Schwab

well...i like the dark theme actually, because i'm reading in forums before going to bed with my tablet, its easier for the eyes when everything else is dark :)

just my 2 cents

Exact same here. I read before bed and in the morning, and the last thing I want to see is a very bright white screen. It definitely does look sleeker, but I would second what RJS said and go with a clean light blue as the main background color. 

• Upvote 1

Can you explain this in more detail?  I far prefer reading against a dark background on screen.

I have an iPad/iPhone, so not sure how to do it on android or other prodcuts. But go to Settings, General, Accessibility then go to bottom and click on accessibility shortcut and set it to invert colors. then when you push home button 3 x it will invert colors. it makes the new color scheme appear as black with white writing. nice for evening reading in the dark.

As an aside, I feel i should mention that it's well shown that using electronics in bed is bad for sleep quality. I know it's a hard habit to break, but i wouldn't recommend using them in bed. Read a real book, and in this case fiction is supposed to be better than non-fiction, though i don't personally follow that specific recommendation.

Janne Mäkiniemi

Overall, I like the new style, although I have some suggestions.

The new theme seems to scale the text area width with desktop resolution, so with my wide screen, the text lines tend to get bit long for my taste. But I guess that just takes time getting used to.

Otherwise, it feels bit "too" white, since there aren't really anything darker to contrast all the white/light gray (other than at the top of page, which for me feels bit easier to look into). So maybe experimenting with adding something darker shades or similar could be worth looking into.

:)

• Upvote 1

Philip Papandrea

Not a fan of the white background. Too tough on the eyes. The way it is now with the dark background is perfect. No need to change

I have to say I like the dark background better.  the white background is washed out, like looking at a word processing document. I think the black background is cool and easy to read.  That being said, I like the wider appearance of the new format.  It would be nice to take the best parts of each.  I also like having the pictures in the background. It makes it seem less plain.

• Upvote 1

Guys,

This isn't a light vs dark poll. We have had demand for both over the past couple years with claims on each side about readability. As stated in the original post, the light theme is optional and still in development. The opportunity for feedback is to allow the community input on the direction of it so that we can compile suggestions and shape something that the majority of users are happy with. 

• Upvote 1

Joachim Nagler

I agree with whaureb.

Generally I like the new style but it is too white. All the post and pics and stuff just blur into another. 

Maybe you can add in some darker areas, just like at the top of the page.