Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Diet plan

mata_leao

It requires a peculiar and specific discipline in and of itself in order to let go of the minutiae. I speak from personal experience!

I seem to get stuck in minutiae quite often. But I have been consistent with the workout for 5 weeks now and my diet is improving. I am reading a lot on the topic right now and have plans I will try in the future but my 1st goal is to just get to 5-6 meals per day of unprocessed food. I used to eat around 2 meals per day with unhealthy snacks throughout the day. I am now eating 3 meals a day of unprocessed food and plan to add a 4th meal as a protein mix after the workout. As i adjust I will add the other meals, its just hard to keep it all unprocessed, I have a lot of old habits to break.

Guest cccp21
Fish oil's ok, but megadosing gets in the way of muscle growth apparently, so don't try to go crazy. Just get a few grams a day and you'll be straight. Virgin coconut oil is great, but you have to make sure it's virgin. Once it's been to prom, you don't want anything to do with it :P Olive oil's great too, I have noticed that I look and feel better when I am pretty conscious about taking a swig with most meals. I'm glad you're doing better with your diet! Also, if you're having balanced meals with oils, proteins, and sugars together you don't need to worry about sticking to low-glycemic fruits. Any fruits will do, almost everything is low glycemic when eaten together with fats and proteins.

What benefits are there to megadosing fish oil? why would it get in the way of anabolism?

Brandon Green

Joshua Naterman

Brandon: There are a lot of supposed benefits, from increased endurance to steroid-like growth. Obviously, any claims like that should put up warning flags. It's true that taking in more of the right fats can help your metabolism, but recent studies have shown that fish oil mega-dosing actually inhibits growth a little bit, reasons unknown but suspected causes are the anti-inflammatory effect of the omega 3 fatty acids. You actually need a certain amount of inflammation to trigger the healing and growth processes, and it could be that super high doses, like 30g a day, is simply inhibiting inflammation to the point where the body isn't getting as strong of a stimulus. Good question though, the jury's still out on a definitive answer. A couple grams a day can only help though, unless you're allergic to fish :P

Joshua Naterman
It requires a peculiar and specific discipline in and of itself in order to let go of the minutiae. I speak from personal experience!

I seem to get stuck in minutiae quite often. But I have been consistent with the workout for 5 weeks now and my diet is improving. I am reading a lot on the topic right now and have plans I will try in the future but my 1st goal is to just get to 5-6 meals per day of unprocessed food. I used to eat around 2 meals per day with unhealthy snacks throughout the day. I am now eating 3 meals a day of unprocessed food and plan to add a 4th meal as a protein mix after the workout. As i adjust I will add the other meals, its just hard to keep it all unprocessed, I have a lot of old habits to break.

You're doing great, keep up the progress. Baby steps is the way to go, just like you're doing. It takes a few weeks of consistency to start breaking old habits, so keep up the good work! Jason is right on the money, it's really important to not worry about the minutia, all that little stuff just clogs your head up and makes it hard to think. Let your Zen flow! :P

Guest cccp21

You're doing great, keep up the progress. Baby steps is the way to go, just like you're doing. It takes a few weeks of consistency to start breaking old habits, so keep up the good work! Jason is right on the money, it's really important to not worry about the minutia, all that little stuff just clogs your head up and makes it hard to think. Let your Zen flow! :P

********* what is your cert in by the ISSA i am interested in this myself. I believe it's in nutrition of some kind correct?

BTW what are the best certs in your opinion to have? I wish gymnasticsbodies had a cert!

Brandon Green

Joshua Naterman

performance nutrition.

ISSA is up there for the certs, I don't know too much about the others but I understand that there is at least one other really, really good one. People still want to see a 4 year degree, though. It doesn't mean you know more, but when you say you have a degree people believe what you say more than if you just have a cert. So really, in a sense the best cert is a 4 year degree or better. For knowledge, I know that the ISSA is really solid and up to date. You have to remember that nutrition is a field that is changing fairly regularly, and it's hard to keep up with everything.

Edward Smith

Here is a good article from pubmed (http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1526555) about anti-inflammatory effects of long chain omega-3's. Also ceck the references section for other articles/studies on the effects of fish oil. I haven't heard of any research that shows omega-3's reducing growth, but mega-dosing benefits include:

-improved complexion

-improved stools (movement and density)

-improved insulin sensitivity

-brain health

-better cholestrol numbers

-and of course anti-inflammation, which has many health benefits, but which should allow more training as it reduces workout induced inflammation to muscles and connective tissue

The Paleo Diet for Athlete's is pretty useless for everyone except hardcore endurance athletes. I personally disagree about Cordain's stance on saturated fats, I think this is one of the most person-to-person aspects of diet is saturated fat tolerability. I haven't read up about coconut oil, but Robb Wolf suggests Virgin Olive Oil so I agree with Slizzardman on that. One thing to note, saturated fat is more stable for cooking. For coconut milk Robb Wolf says the more asian, less english writing on the packaging the better. Another thing about Cordain's suggestions on omega 6 to 3 ratios in oils and nuts is also a bit misleading he says macadamia's have an okay omega 6 to 3 ratio but in macadamia nuts there's only around 4 grams of total polyunsaturated fat per 100g. Olive oil has about 10g per 100ml, so unless your drinking the stuff (I have been known to take swigs of macadamia oil while cooking :lol: ) you don't need to worry to much about omega 6 to 3 ratios from oil and nuts, as long as your not eating monstrous amounts them and your eating grassfed meats.

Joshua Naterman

HAHAHAAHHA!!!! I love it! The asian writing, bit, I mean. How funny! And probably true :P

Just to be clear, when I say that there is a slight inhibition of growth, I do mean slight. I don't mean you won't grow, it won't be quite as fast as without megadosing. And, in this instance, by megadosing I mean 30g a day. That, my friends, is a LOT of fish oil. Even if you're taking like 10 grams a day, it's not going to be bad or slow you down, and you will probably feel a bit better. It IS good for your skin, and hair, and your time on the toilet :P

Yea, I know it's not perfect, but I do drink the olive oil. I ride the line on what they say is an ideal-ish amount of polyunsaturated fat, the olive oil is just too cheap for me to not use :) And it makes my skin and hair b-e-a-UTIFUL. :P There are better oils to consume at the levels I consume the olive oil, but the olive oil's still all right. I'm going to price check that macadamia oil the next time i head out, I'm curious! :)

Yea, I know it's not perfect, but I do drink the olive oil.

So how much olive oil do you drink? I love olives although I would rather eat a can of olives than drink the oil. I take 1 gram of fish oil per day because I'm poor and don't want to go through the bottle too fast but I eat fish (usually salmon) almost everyday as well.

Joshua Naterman

I'd guess 5-8 tablespoons a day when I remember :P I guess that's around 60-100 grams of fat. It's pretty much my only source of fat.

Guest cccp21
I'd guess 5-8 tablespoons a day when I remember :P I guess that's around 60-100 grams of fat. It's pretty much my only source of fat.

********** this may not have anything to do with it but Poliquin says that one must alter Omega 3 sources for best results.

for example switching to Krill Oil. Do you agree?

Brandon Green

Joshua Naterman

Eh, we need them all. It would probably be more ideal if I got more omega 3 than I do, but on the whole I have a pretty good fat profile. How much would it help? I dunno, but I'm getting stronger with what I'm doing so it certainly isn't hurting :)

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.