Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A really weird tip to help your alignment

Biren Patel

Hi guys,

Just wanted to share something that has been helping my alignment. If you're like me, you have the mobility for handstand and you can perform the supine, prone, standing, and wall drills correctly (like those in H1). But as soon as you try to freestand, you have poor awareness and can't feel where your body parts are or in what position they are in.

Lately, I have been scratching or pinching parts of my body before I enter the handstand. So, i.e., I have a built in laziness habit of not flattening my lower back in handstand. So right before I enter handstand, I strongly pinch or scratch my lower back. So once i am in the handstand I can feel that exact pinched spot on my skin. It lets me know exactly where my lower back is in space and from there I can cue to flatten.

It's a pretty weird tip, but like I said if your mobility is on point but your alignment need works, this helps a bunch! I suppose it's the next best thing to a coach poking you.

• Upvote 4

When I was a young athlete during my wrist wall handstands, my coach and teammates would lightly (supposedly! :icon_twisted: ) slap the body trying to find muscles that were not fully contracted.  Feet, ankles, thighs, glutes, shoulder extension, trying to pull the legs apart; any and everything was fair game.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 2

Josh Schmitter

No worries, it's right after the part about coverage for turtle attacks, but before the subsection concerning rollerblading indoors down wooden steps holding a pet.

• Upvote 2

John Kiggundu

Have you tried putting scotch tape, say an inch or two on the "lazy" portion, and see whether or not it can give some cues on when to fully extend that muscle group?

Just my $0.02.