Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

World Records

Rajan Shankara

Rajan Shankara

From Wikipedia...

The first record for push-ups was documented by Guinness World Records: 6,006 non-stop push-ups by Charles Linster in 1965, October 5.

The record for the most push-ups non-stop was 10,507, set by Minoru Yoshida of Japan in October 1980. Minoru Yoshida's World Record was the last of its category for non-stop push-ups to be published by Guinness World Records.

A new category, "Most Push-ups in 24 Hours," has since been introduced.
The current world record for most push-ups in 24 hours is by Charles Servizio (USA)who achieved 46,001 push-ups in just 21 hours, 6 minutes on 1993, April 24 to 25.

The world record for most two-handed backhand push-ups in one hour is 1,940 by Aman Sharma of the UK, set in 2007.

Doug Pruden (Canada) performed 1,025 one-arm push-ups on the back of the hand on 8 November 2008.
The Guinness World Record holder for backhanded push-ups, American John Morrow, completed 123 in one minute in 2006.

My question for discussion is how are these numbers physically possible? My mind doesnt understand how a body is capable of such bouts. Also, i have seen no record like these filmed at all. wild

Most of them are not possible.

The standards adhered to are not even remotely close to what we would consider acceptable. One official "guiness" world record video that I watched for pushups was ridiculous; the elbows hardly bent at all during each repetition.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 4

ForzaCavaliere

As Coach said, don't just look at the numbers as form comes into play too. You should try to see a video of the attempt, if possible. 

No doubt they're very physically fit, but the actual number *might* be lower if they were forced to use strict form.

There are a few reasons I take the Guiness records with a grain of salt, this comes to mind: 

• Upvote 1

Most of them are not possible.

The standards adhered to are not even remotely close to what we would consider acceptable. One official "guiness" world record video that I watched for pushups was ridiculous; the elbows hardly bent at all during each repetition.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

He's right you know. Just look at Mike Chang's weighted pullup World Record (Nevermind the fact that he picked a weight that nobody cared about a record for) 

The standards to this stuff are shit.

Rajan Shankara

Wow, interesting. I figured they only counted full repetitions, my mistake.

lol Coaches standard for pullups come to mind while watching Chang; "No kipping, no bounce, no seizures; use strength only"

Man im glad i do Foundation.

Ivan Pavlovic

Hollow Back Press (with poor technique) Guiness record:

I think by the time F4 is mastered, 13 wouldn't be challenging

Littlebeastm did 10 of these at 180 cm height and 90 kg weight.... I saw some guy doing 20 of these..... This is funny....

All this GST (or calistenics or however) Guinness world records are funny, especially the form of exercises they doing. :facepalm:

Edited by Paf

ForzaCavaliere

Actually looking back now I don't really see what's so terrible about the Mike Chang pullup form. His chin clears the bar for every rep that is counted. Admittedly, he uses wide-grip to lower the distance travelled but whatevs... 

Also, I'm pretty sure that Romanian kid has the record for hollowback pushups. 53, if I recall correctly.

Anyway, just to even it out, I'm going to point out that not all GWR are terrible. 'One arm pullups in one minute' is pretty good.

I'm sure Alex here can do at least 10 HBP in a row with good form. No doubt he could beat the record with that kind of form. I'd rather not mention Coach's athletes.  :lol: