Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Dragon Flag on a pole

Manimal

I've been trying to find a decent tutorial for this move on the Internet but there don't seem to be any in English...

I can do dragon flags easily on a bench, but whenever I try the move on a pole I feel like my traps are under a huge amount of pressure (and pain) and I simply can't hold it. Does anybody else have the same problem?

BTW I am wondering if working these pole dragon flags will have a positive carryover to front lever training?

It hurts and there is not much you can do about it.

Lots of moves on a pole, trapeze, aerial silk, etc hurts. The pain go away with time or you get used to it.

You just have to be sure that it is not bad pain (like muscular pain leading to injury), if it is just the pressure pain suck it up.

• Upvote 1

David McManamon

The pole dancers I know all do it with ease, I do it occasionally but don't train it.  Yes, you will experience discomfort initially in your trap/neck muscles.  A larger pole or  a small amount of padding may help but you have to work through this type of "healthy" pain for a bit until it goes away.  Be sure to train both sides of your body equally, also decreasing the leverage via the same front lever/dragon flag progressions will allow you to become accustomed to the pressure on your trapezius, so tuck or straddle your legs before going for the full expression of the move.

David McManamon

The shoulder position is referred to as a "shoulder mount" in pole dancing terms, that is how you will need to search to see women explaining the move, generally in bikinis.  http://instagram.com/p/jBUtyCnVgw  As shown in the photo, she calls it a "shoulder mount planche"

• Upvote 1

The shoulder position is referred to as a "shoulder mount" in pole dancing terms, that is how you will need to search to see women explaining the move, generally in bikinis.  http://instagram.com/p/jBUtyCnVgw  As shown in the photo, she calls it a "shoulder mount planche"

It hurts and there is not much you can do about it.

Lots of moves on a pole, trapeze, aerial silk, etc hurts. The pain go away with time or you get used to it.

You just have to be sure that it is not bad pain (like muscular pain leading to injury), if it is just the pressure pain suck it up.

Thank you both for you help. I was just making sure that I wasn't missin anything obvious in this move but now it seems like this is a trap killer...Yeah I'll just have to man up and suck it up I guess :D

You just have to get use to the pain. Also tight traps dont help either.  The carry over to front lever is in the core development, the 'pull' of the arms wont translate very well. 

Start tucked to get the feel of the shoulders (and easier on the core).  I like to place the same arm as the shoulder on the bottom, and the opposite arm on top. And you need a medium distance between the arms and head. Arms too far away (too straight), and you wont be able to engage the lats properly, and too close you wont have the leverage.

• 1 month later...

given the choice I find they're more comfortable if I can slide down slightly against the pole before pulling into it. This allows my trap to "roll up" or under the bar. I don't have monster traps so this sort of bulks up the trap against the bar. (I do the same thing with high bar squats too). GL