This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

My progress and questions

Started by federicoC, August 8, 2014 · 23 Replies · 1,014 Views

federicoC

Since I now got most information I needed to start working through a simplified F1 (for some exercises), I decided to open a single topic where I will report my progresses and ask specific questions without a need to open a topic for each of them.

 

Summary:

0. My first approach to F1 was about 1 year ago, after a chronic illness that lasted about the same amount of time. Details - i what I believe is a good introduction - here: https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/12682-beginning-f1-suggestions-and-more/?hl=%2Bbeginning+%2Bsuggestions+%2Band+%2Bmore

 

1. Recently, I suffered from a thrombosis and congestion of hemorrhoids, which led me to open a few topics on the effect of GST and tone of the pelvic floor on the problem, see:

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/16923-f1-and-hemorrhoids-id-value-input-from-the-staff/?hl=%2Bbeginning+%2Bsuggestions+%2Band+%2Bmore#entry162893

 

2. With the help of Cole Dano, and of people on a different board, I ended up defining a set of simplified progressions especially for FL and SL, see:

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/17094-simplified-f1-exercises/?hl=simplified

 

Now, using these progressions, I completed the second week of the current microcycle. My main focus over the last two weeks has been on breathing and will be the same in the future. I found out it takes me a lot of energy to focus on it and definitely it's not something automatic at the moment. Coordinating breathing with movement is paramount for my training, as you can imagine.

 

 

federicoC

I won't report all the gory details of a session, as I figured out it doesn't really help. Rather, everyone knows about set/rep templates, so I will report only those data that are not standard. Also, I won't comment on things outside F1 or GB programs.

 

--F1B

>SL/PE0 (arms pointing straight behind) 4x22s (timer set to 25s)

>MN/PE1 4x7r

>SLS/PE1 4x7r

 

--H1

--Locomotion

--ST

 

Notes:

0. I noticed that I can finally activate my glutes in the SL/PE0. I plan to record it soon in order to check the ROM. Breathing was shallow and controlled through the entire set. For the next cycle, I will add other 2" and see how I feel.

1. I pulled my gracilis more than 6 weeks ago now, during Cossack squats. It healed only partially and it's currently hampering progression on windmills. On the right side I do have a mastery ROM, on the left I'm about 1/2 through the ROM. I eliminated the shoulder rotation and focused on bending the waist as much as I can up to the comfortable ROM for the day.

federicoC

--F1A


>FL/PE0 (legs straight on the floor, toes pointed) 5x24s (timer set to 27s)


>sPL/PE1 5x7r


>HBP/PE1 5x15r, bar at hips level, mastered


 


>RC/PE1 5x6r


 


--Locomotion


--ST, focused on hamstrings.


 


Breathing is comfortable for FL, HBP and great improvements in RC as well. Still some difficulty with sPL, will make good use of the deload week to keep up this work.


Also, I shake a bit especially in the first couple of sets of FL/PE0. Mastery of HBP/PE1 means I will decrease the bar height next cycle and depending on the perceived effort decide where to start in the template.


 


federicoC

Did H1 today. Mastered couple of elements. Dislocations afterwards, and stretching for the shoulder girdle.

On H1 I'm improving substantially, because I didn't have to stop it as at the level where I stand now it's mostly wrist mobility work. I start liking it.

federicoC

--F1B


>SL/PE0 (arms pointing straight behind) 5x22s (timer set to 25s)


>MN/PE1 5x7r


>SLS/PE1 5x7r


 


--Locomotion


--ST


 


Notes:


0. I confirm, my glutes get strongly activate now in the SL/PE0. ROM check using a mirror showed that I'm also increasing it, definitely.


1. On the tuck ups I decided to change the way I was breathing. Since a single rep takes a while (I move slowly and controlled) I found difficult to breath naturally. Now I inhale before starting, exhale during concentric, stop at max. compression for 1-2" and there I inhale, exhale on the way back and repeat. Effective, felt great and more natural. Keeping this breathing scheme is part of my mastery requirement, I have a long way to 5x15r. Next cycle I plan to start at 4x8r.


2. I feel skiers more driven by the hips now, I think it's a good thing - I might be wrong.


Jon Douglas

I also feel skiers pretty much entirely in the hips. Carry on :)

federicoC

Did H1 today. Confirm I mastered couple of elements and I'm happy about that. I definitely feel good after H1 workouts now.

Dislocations afterwards, with some sets of scap depression and stretching for the shoulder girdle.

Need to be very careful in the next sessions, will explain why soon.

federicoC

Yesterday:

 

--F1A

>FL/PE0 (legs straight on the floor, toes pointed) 5x24s (timer set to 27s)

>sPL/PE1 5x7r

>HBP/PE1 5x15r, bar at hips level, mastered. I worked on implementing Kegel's move here. Squeezing the glutes after having pulled in the perianal region works well. I can't - yet - hold it easily through the entire set.

>RC/PE1 5x7r **I made a mistake, should have been 5x6r. However, I did them easily!

>Chin ups, from dead hang and full scap depression 3x3r

 

Actually, it was mastery week but it turned out to be a rather easy session. Conditioning is improving. Breathing was fine.

 

Worrisome note: on Wed I found a lump in my left adductor. I had the feeling it was a swollen lymph node. Got it checked on Thu, and the doctor confirmed that. It's a subinguinal superficial lymph node. It causes some discomfort, but I have no other symptom so I have to wait 14-20 days. If the situation persists, then of course we have to do further exams. I will then take easy the next deload week, and from a mobility/stretching point of view I will do all what I can trying not to disturb it.

 

Today:

>played 1h ping-pong :)

federicoC

Entered deload week.

 

--F1B

>SL/PE0 (arms pointing straight behind) 5x11s (timer set to 13s)

>MN/PE1 5x4r

>SLS/PE1 5x4r

**I took the ceiling of 7/2, so I did 4 reps.

>Chin ups and hanging, from dead hang and full scap depression 3x3r

 

--Locomotion

--ST

 

Everything very easy. Stretches selected to not annoy the lymph node.

 

Note: on MN/PE1 Im (windmills) I simply did the movement with no weight. The reason is that I first want to get back to full ROM on this after left gracilis pull. It seems that the recovery is going well lately. I didn't feel pain today, and the ROM allowed me to reach the floor with my fingers. Also, I'm rewiring a bit my form, trying to drive the bending with the hips and keeping the glutes stationary. It will pay off, and it's a conservative strategy that I can take because I'm anyway still on 4x7r on MN/PE1. Comments welcome on this choice.

federicoC

--H1 deload today.

>Scap depression from relaxed hang 3x5r

>Chin ups, from dead hang and full scap depression 2x3r

>Dislocations

 

Note: on dislocations I'm increasing my ROM every session. It's still unbelievable for me, but my shoulder girdle i really opening up. I think I'm about 2 cycles away from mastering the HS/PE1 Im.

federicoC

--F1A deload today


>FL/PE0 (legs straight on the floor, toes pointed) 5x12s (timer set to 14s)


>sPL/PE1 5x4r


>HBP/PE1 5x8r I worked on implementing Kegel's move here, again.


>RC/PE1 5x4r I really have the feeling something changed in the way I do this exercise. I now really feel it, in the whole body, and feels great. Breathing is getting an automatic pattern on this one: breath out when pulling up and holding top position, breath in slowly when slowly going down.


 


>Chin ups and hanging, from dead hang and full scap depression 2x3r


 


--Locomotion


--ST


 


Question: there is a tradeoff between progressing slowly and under control, and progressing too slowly.


 


If my plan for the next microcycle is to add 2"/week on FL, 1r/week on sPL and RC, and try to start from week5 on HBP/PE1.5 (i.e. PE1 with lower bar s.t. the body forms an angle of 30 degrees with the floor), is that too less?


 


The point is that I want to continue having full control on every detail, and I don't want to rush. To me, it looks like that


sPL from 5x7r this cycle to possibly 5x9r the next one is a good move. Same for HBP and RC. In contrast, I don't know if adding only 2" to FL is enough (from 5x24" to 5x28"). In fact, I didn't feel the exercise challenging over the last cycle, neither I had issues with breathing/etc. What would you suggest as a conservative approach?


 


Thank you.

federicoC

Swimming today, though I don't like it my body needs it. Also, it helps circulation and many other things. As well, it's recommended for males.

 

After that, I did some hanging with various passive and active holds outdoor in a playground I found close to the pool. Actually, that place is equipped for GST, with plenty of stuff. Unfortunately, it's far from home but definitely great to hang there a bit on a sunny day.

federicoC

--H1 deload


>Dislocations


>Chin ups, from dead hang and full scap depression 2x3r


>Hanging 


 


If possible, I'd be happy to discuss with you about the question I raised two posts back.


federicoC

Last day of deload week.

 

--F1B

>SL/PE0 (arms pointing straight behind) 5x11s (timer set to 13s)

>MN/PE1 5x4r

>SLS/PE1 5x4r

>Chin ups and hanging (active/passive), from dead hang and full scap depression 3x3r

 

--Locomotion

--ST

federicoC

Entered the new microcyle today.


 


--F1A


>FL/PE0 (legs straight on the floor, toes pointed) 4x27s (timer set to 30s) **I decided to increase by 3s (see my question above). Felt OK and just right I'd say, perceived effort 8 on a scale from 1 to 10. Breathing was correct.


>sPL/PE1 4x8r **decided to increase by 1rep here. Breathing was correct.


>HBP/PE2 4x8r **to cut a long story short, I decided to move straight to PE2, dropping the PE1.5 plan. I chose a number of reps that is challenging but that allowed me to breath correctly and use strict form. No bearing down, no straining, no grinding. The plan is to keep the 4x8 next workout, and depending on how I feel, perhaps keep it over the next 2 weeks as well. Need to progress slowly on it. Next time I will also start using the Kegel move here.


>RC/PE1 4x8r **all fine, +1 rep for this cycle here


 


>Hanging, with scap retractions 2x5r


 


--Locomotion


--ST


 


Any suggestion on my choices for this cycle?


federicoC

Yesterday I entered the new micro cycle for H1 as well. I enjoyed the new elements, and will report on the H1 forum as soon as I have the time.

 

--H1, on the PE1/Im I further gained about 2cm, felt nice and solid.

>Dislocations

>Hanging, with scap retractions 2x5r

federicoC

Yesterday:

 

--F1B

>SL/PE0 (arms pointing straight behind) 4x24s (timer set to 27s) **decided to increase by 2" this cycle. Turned out to be a good choice

>MN/PE1 4x8r **wow, challenging. Breathing was fine, form was more difficult to keep on the last set

>SLS/PE1 4x8r 

>Chin ups 2x3r and hanging (active/passive), from dead hang and full scap depression

 

--Locomotion

--ST

federicoC

27.08

 

Elliptical - 25', avg 126 bpm

--Hanging (active and passive)

--ST

 

28.08

 

--H1

--Hanging (active and passive)

 
29.08
 

--F1A

>FL/PE0 (legs straight on the floor, toes pointed) 4x27s (timer set to 30s) **I should keep it such next week as well. I don't have to rush on this one. I'm getting a very strong activation and my hollow improved tremendously as compared to what I was doing with PE1. I need to take a video and get your input on it.

>sPL/PE1 4x8r **Breathing was correct. I can move by +1 rep

>HBP/PE2 4x8r **better, better. But, I will keep it as such next week as well.

>RC/PE1 4x8r **felt good, breathing was correct. I also always hold the top position here for 1-2" at each rep. It's helping a lot. I can move on, +1 rep.

 

--Locomotion

--Hanging (active and passive)

--ST
federicoC

Yesterday

 

--F1B

>SL/PE0 (arms pointing straight behind) 4x24s (timer set to 27s) **solid. At the end of the last set, I did just a few seconds hold to check my ROM and I was positively surprised. 

 

OK, it's not the same exercise but...compare this one (taken ~1 year ago)

 

 

with yesterday:

 

 

What is your opinion? I feel a strong glutes/hamstring activation with this easier variant of ABH. This is my PE0, btw.

 

>MN/PE1 4x9r **increased one rep. I felt good and able to keep correct breathing through the entire duration. On the Im, I forget to mention last time but I'm getting back to full ROM. I used a 2kg DB.

>SLS/PE1 4x8r **kept the set/reps scheme

 

--Locomotion

--Hanging (active and passive)

--ST

 

Today

 

--H1 (now it's time to post form checks in the H1 forum)

>Dislocations

 

--Hanging (passive only)

federicoC

--F1A


>FL/PE0 (legs straight on the floor, toes pointed) 4x27s (timer set to 30s) **It was a good choice to stay put. I felt better than last time. Also, I found out that I myself tend to pull the belly button in as Jon pointed out in another topic.


>sPL/PE1 4x9r **Breathing was correct and felt solid.


>HBP/PE2 4x8r **Here I have some problem with the Kegel move, I'm not able to hold it in some reps. What would be the best way to proceed now? I'm able to complete 4x8r with a perceived effort of say 9/10 at the moment, but I want to make sure I can activate the pelvic floor.


>RC/PE1 4x9r **Breathing was correct and felt solid.


 


--Locomotion



--Hanging (passive, rings)


--ST
federicoC

Today

 

--Swimming

--Hanging (active and passive)

federicoC

Today


 


--H1 (will now post other material in the H1 forum, got very helpful comments so far)


>Dislocations


 


--Hanging (active and passive)


 


The workout was very enjoyable. Also, a friend of mine (physical therapist) spotted a slight imbalance in my right shoulder and using couple of easy manoeuvres helped me resolving the issue. Indeed, this is the same shoulder I injured now more than 5 years ago while training with a Titan Katana bench shirt (back in the days :) 


federicoC

Today


 


--F1B


>SL/PE0 (arms pointing straight behind) 4x24s (timer set to 27s) **Actually, I made the mistake of setting the timer to 30". It felt a bit heavier at the end - I realized why and figured that out too late. An evaluation set has been recorded, see below (you can also see that I became the master of hip circles :) )


>MN/PE1 4x9r **Im 3kg, evaluation video below. I think my compression further improved. Could keep proper breathing throughout.


>SLS/PE1 4x8r **solid


 


--Locomotion, focused on activating glutes


--ST


 



 



federicoC

I will be very busy in the beginning of next week. Today I had to merge F1 and H1 sessions, and it was not easy because I started week 2 of the current microcycle. However, I managed to to quality work.


 


--F1A


>FL/PE0 (legs straight on the floor, toes pointed) 5x27s (timer set to 30s) **form check below, you can see the PE0.


>sPL/PE1 5x9r **Breathing was correct and felt solid, improving.


>HBP/PE2 5x8r **Improving. I implemented a suggestion I recently got. Top position: Kegel move and immediately release. Go down relaxed. Bottom position: before starting actively pressing, hold Kegel and keep it for the entire concentric. It works. Form check (set 1 and set 5) below.


>RC/PE1 5x9r **Breathing was correct and felt solid, improving.


 


--H1, with my forearms challenged by F1, it's not been extremely easy but I managed.


 


--Locomotion, a video:




 


--Hanging (passive)


--ST

 

Form checks: