This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Simplified F1 exercises

Started by federicoC, July 23, 2014 · 9 Replies · 582 Views

federicoC

Before replying, if possible, please read the last post of this discussion:

 

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/16923-f1-and-hemorrhoids-id-value-input-from-the-staff/

 

Briefly, the goal of this topic is to define a set of simplified exercises in F1, for all those elements that cause increase in intra-abdominal pressure and heavily rely on it. The idea would be to make smoother changes/slower progression in the F1 curriculum to ensure better adaptation of the body to these exercises.

 

Particularly, Cole Dano indicated the SLS exercises, the sPL/Ims and the SL and FL elements as the most 'risky'.

 

I need to become able to:

-breath correctly though the entire exercise, without bearing down/holding breath at all

-stop at technical failure, where technical failure includes failure in breathing scheme

-implement 'pulling in' or Kegel moves on the exercises that are most demanding for the pelvic floor

 

and a simplified set of exercises, with the corresponding mastery template, could be good to start with.

 

Alternatively, I was wondering what would happen if I just do what I said on the PE1 exercises in F1, perhaps simplifying ABH with the known progressions for Zombies, but using a mastery template with way more gradual jumps.

 

Also, I probably won't do F1 more than twice a week, to start with using the A/B split template. I want to switch my priority for some time to other exercises and activities more related to develop balance and flexibility.

 

Please let me know your opinion. Thanks in advance

 

federicoC

Let me start with something.

 

1) FL: I was at PE2, but I've been able to do no more than 20 reps so far. Plan: go back to PE1. This element can be simplified as follows:

level 1 - legs bent and feet on the floor.

level 2 - legs straight and feet on the floor

level 3 - the actual PE1. I think the 60s mastery template can be applied to all these

 

2) sPL: I think it can be done as described, with a more smooth and longer mastery template for all the elements.

 

3) ABH: it has been discussed for long time, the Zombie series with very progressive mastery template could do here.

 

4) MN: I think it can be done as described, with a more smooth and longer mastery template

 

5) SLS: here I wait for your input

 

6) HBP: I think it can be done as described, with emphasis on breathing and an extremely smooth progression to mastery. Kegel can be implemented here for reps.

 

7) RC: I think it can be done as described, with PE1 that can be done with glutes on the floor to implement proper breathing to start with for mastery, and then moving on to proper PE1.

federicoC

Update, I started with the following workout. Rather than deciding upon a week, I let me body tell me when my level of perceived effort suggested perfect technique and moderate effort. That is the place where I decided to start from. 

Technique requirement was as per demo videos, and controlled breathing.

 

I used FL/PE1 variation level 1 (legs bend, feet on the ground), 4 x 20". No problems with the Im

Then sPL/PE1 4x6r. No problems with the Im

HBP/PE1 4x12r. No problems with the Im

RC/PE1 variation with glutes on the floor, 4x6r. No problems with the Im

 

So for F1A this is where I can start building up from. I didn't feel any discomfort, everything was under control and felt great. I'm considering start using evaluation ratings on technique and effort, and use them to monitor my progresses.

 

Now, can you please give me a feedback on what you would do for SLS work?

Salivanth

SLS: Deck squats onto progressively lower surfaces, eventually getting the full deck squat to the floor. That's how I'm doing it, since mobility doesn't let me do the full deck squat. A higher surface means you don't need to squat as far down, and it's easier to get back up with heels on the floor.

As for smooth progression to mastery, what you could do is make use of the 5x10 or 5x5r templates for any exercise you have correct form in, but struggle to get the correct volume for. I really like 5x10, as it makes for a very smooth 4-cycle mastery if you need a little more help. I'm thinking of doing it with hinge rows if I can't get 4x6 after my deload week. (I failed both times on the last set of 3x6, needed a 10-second break to finish). It works really smoothly:

3x2, 5x2, 3x4, 3x2(deload)
4x4, 4x6, 5x6, 5x3(deload)
4x8, 4x10, 5x10, 5x5(deload)
4x12, 4x15, 5x15(mastery), 5x8(deload)

federicoC

Thanks for your input! What you suggest is one possibility. However, deck squats are reasonably easy for me, and I do have the required flexibility to perform them with good form. The main problem is that they have a "traumatic" component, similar to jumps during landing phase, and perhaps a different exercise of set of exercises could be used before going back to deck squats.

Let's see what the others suggest. Thanks once again, I will make use of your advice on other elements where I want to progress slower.

Salivanth

If that's the case, maybe it'd be better to put something soft under your feet instead, if the landing on your feet part is the problem. Under your back if it's the rolling portion. Or both would be best of all, since then it'd be the same movement as doing it on the floor.

federicoC

This is a good advice, I did a 4x6r using a soft and thin mat today and it went well, I didn't feel any discomfort - and it was about 25 days my legs were totally resting.

federicoC

Here's a form check of some elements.

The first one is the FL, level 2, held this week for 22s.

Also, you can see the simplified RC/PE1 with glutes on the floor. I progressed to 4x9 very easily on this one.

 

Any further ideas?

Thanks a lot in advance, I really hope to get this going.

 

 

You can see that I'm focusing on breathing, and at this level of perceived effort, everything is very fine.

federicoC

Any comment?

I will use this discussion to update you on progresses. 

federicoC

To update, 

 

everything is progressing well and with care about details.

The simplified FL/PE1, with straight legs on the floor is now feeling great for a 24s hold, and the simplified SL/PE1 with arms straight behind as well for 24s as well. I moved back to the straight RC/PE1 as well.