Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is adv frog stand necessary ?

hype

Hi!

So I've tested my planche stuff yesterday, and here are my max holds in one set:

Frog stand: 60s

Adv frog: 30s

Tuck: 15s

Basically, I know that I should work adv tuck to 60s to be fully prepared. But this position feels kind of akward and painful to me.. Idk why but I get some pain when doing it, which does not happen at all when working the tuck planche.. So my question it: can I skip the adv frog and work the tuck planche directly considering I have a 30s hold adv frog and a 15s tuck already?

Douglas Wadle

Depends on a number of factors:

1.  Have you been doing planche work for a while and have no wrist, forearm, or elbow problems.

2.  Is your tuck planche truly a tuck planche, with hips at shoulder level.

3.  what kind of pain in the advanced frog: if it is elbow pain or wrist pain, you should spend more time here.

If the above fit you, i'd feel free to start working tuck planche.

Hi!

So I've tested my planche stuff yesterday, and here are my max holds in one set:

Frog stand: 60s

Adv frog: 30s

Tuck: 15s

Basically, I know that I should work adv tuck to 60s to be fully prepared. But this position feels kind of akward and painful to me.. Idk why but I get some pain when doing it, which does not happen at all when working the tuck planche.. So my question it: can I skip the adv frog and work the tuck planche directly considering I have a 30s hold adv frog and a 15s tuck already?

You should not have problems with adv. frog before moving on to tuck planche.

Why? The adv. frog places weight on your elbow, forcing it to extend fully. Full extension of the elbows is required in all later progressions. Chances are that your elbows aren't extended when doing tuck planche, that's' why it feels more natural to you.

I used to have problems with adv. frog for the same reason: my bicep tendon was sore all the time, used to have forearm splints after getting out of the position, but i'm now used to it.

Disregard all of this if you have hyper-extended elbows, though

Alexander Egebak

I had problems doing adv. frogstand too, problem was that my wrists would take a lot of pressure. I had no elbow problems what so ever. And I could hold a tucked planche for 15 secs max. Now, I stepped back to some earlier planche progressions, since this should sufficiently stretch and strengthen my wrists (and elbows). I will soon begin planche training, hopefully without any discomfort and hopefully with longer hold times than previously!

• Upvote 1

I used to have problems with adv. frog for the same reason: my bicep tendon was sore all the time, used to have forearm splints after getting out of the position, but i'm now used to it.

thats exactly what I have! I have pain in the forearm when getting out of the position, which does not happen with tuck. Actually I stopped working adv frog and worked tucked for like 2 weeks and the forearm pain completely faded. But when i start working adv frog again it comes back idk why. And yes my arms are completely extended with hips at shoulder level when working the tuck planche.

Timothy Aiken

It's simply a matter of developing the adequate tendon and joint integrity required for safe higher level planche work. Much like with many of these exercises out of our normal working ranges (PPP for me, along with even some SLS work) may cause joint soreness at first, your joints will adapt over time. Just be patient :) As long as it's joint soreness and not actual pain. I trust you can distinguish the difference. 

Also, make sure your knees are above your elbow, and not over the joint itself.

• Upvote 1