Elbow Preparation and Light Chest Pain

Started by tennissports, July 28, 2014 · 10 Replies · 2,596 Views

tennissports

If I ever experience any sort of pain or discomfort in my joints during training, it's almost always because of an insufficient warmup.  But I'll stretch my biceps/triceps/shoulders/wrists and bust out a few empty reps of a really low intensity exercise just to get my joints used to the movement, but my elbows are still stiff/uncomfortable during pressing in training.  How can I help prepare my elbows better for training?

After I finish performing a high volume of dips, my training session is over, because of a spot in the center of my chest (not the muscle) that becomes very sensitive to any type of pressure (if anyone knows what that's about, please do tell)

chuchodani

First, could you please write down your entire workout here ? Second, about your chest pain, it is very common to experiment that kind of pain if you go to fast trough progressions, I had something similar in the past I fixed by B-12 injections and building up from the bottom with pushups, later I carefully move on to dips and the pain just disappear. Go to the doctor to discard other problems, and also a X-ray could help to discard other problems too.  Here in the forums you could find plenty of post about sternum pain that is what I'm thought you have.

Alexander Egebak
chuchodani said:

First, could you please write down your entire workout here ? Second, about your chest pain, it is very common to experiment that kind of pain if you go to fast trough progressions, I had something similar in the past I fixed by B-12 injections and building up from the bottom with pushups, later I carefully move on to dips and the pain just disappear. Go to the doctor to discard other problems, and also a X-ray could help to discard other problems too.  Here in the forums you could find plenty of post about sternum pain that is what I'm thought you have.

Nothing more to say now, really. Take a step back to recover. If you post your entire workout, we might be able to identify where you went wrong, but you should still see an expert for hands on examination.

tennissports

So I'm on the low end of the whole strength thing.  Today, around 6:30 AM I did 8 reps then 3 sets of 6 reps of Foot Elevated Pike Presses, then later around 11 AM, I did a total of 49 Dips and I was going to move to on to Pushups but the "sternum pain" thing didn't let that happen

Alexander Egebak
tennissports said:

So I'm on the low end of the whole strength thing.  Today, around 6:30 AM I did 8 reps then 3 sets of 6 reps of Foot Elevated Pike Presses, then later around 11 AM, I did a total of 49 Dips and I was going to move to on to Pushups but the "sternum pain" thing didn't let that happen

Bring us you entire training schedule please. Cannot tell from 2 exercises.

chuchodani
Freshpro said:

Bring us you entire training schedule please. Cannot tell from 2 exercises.

Exactly !

tennissports

hahahaha, I only put those because Ithe pain wasn't there before those, and I only recently restarted logging my training, but here it is

 

7/22/14 - Planche - Warmup: Chest/Tricep/Bicep/Upper Back/Wrist Static Stretches - Wrist Rotations - Wrist Leans - Shoulder Pull Throughs
Workout: Pseudo Planche x 10 sec. x 4 -  Frogstand x 20 sec. x 4 - Fingertip Pushups x 8 - Fingertip Pushups x 6 - Tucked Hollow Body Hold x 30 sec. x 3 - Workout: Really Enjoyable

7/24/14 - Morning:Warmup: Chest/Tricep/Bicep/Upper Back/Wrist Static Stretches - Wrist Rotations - All 3 Wrist Pressure Leans - Knee Wrist Pushups - Shoulder Pull Throughs - Shoulder Retraction to Press - Shoulder Dislocates

Workout: 2 HSPUs - Declined Pike Pushups x 6 x 5 -Workout:Satisfactory, I wanted to blow 5 x 4 Dips but I couldn’t even rep out 5 straight dips after the Declined Pike Pushups, I tried to balance it out, but my right Tricep is more burnt

Rode 3 Miles to Camp and 3 Miles Back with a 3 Hours inbetween

9 PM:Warmup: Chest/Tricep/Bicep/Upper Back/Wrist Static Stretches - Shoulder Pull Throughs - Shoulder Dislocates - Shoulder Retraction to Press

Workout:10 lb. Pullups x 5 x 6 - Workout:Satisfactory

7/25/14 - 3 PM:Warmup:Hamstring/Quad/Shin/Calf Static Stretches

Workout:15 lb. Pistols x 4 x 3 - 50 lb. Head Elevated Hip Thrusts x 20 x 2 - Workout:Awesome, need to stay more upright during the pistols

7/28/14 - 6 AM:Warmup (Insufficient): Chest/Bicep/Upper Back/Wrist Static Stretches - Shoulder Pull Throughs - Shoulder Retraction to Press - Shoulder Dislocates - Overhead Shrugs - Around 25 Hand Elevated Pushups

Workout:8 Declined Pike Pushups - 3 x 6 Declined Pike Pushups

11 AM: Workout:Ladder Dips up to 7

Rode at least 6 Miles

 
anything in the warmup that starts with "Shoulder" is a shoulder prehab thing, Ladders are when you do 1,2,3,4... reps of exercise up to a certain number then come back down, for anyone who doesn't know
tennissports

after the Dips is when the pain came in if I didn't already mention that

chuchodani

Well I don't see nothing wrong, other exercise that can cause sternum pain is the back lever. Are you doing the dips with good form ?

tennissports

I did some Tucked Back Levers before I restarted logging, and then I came on here and asked about them, and then stopped doing them, when I do dips, my forearm stays generally vertical so there's a lot of lean and a lot of chest involved, so there's not much room for my elbows to flare

chuchodani

Ok, try to start again and avoid anything that cause pain on your body, If you need, take some rest and start again with pushups.

On the other hand keep practicing exercises that doesn't cause any kind of pain(pullups,legs,abs,hs work) .