Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Planche Lean/Tucked Planche Form Critique

LilRunt

GoldenEagle

Don't look forward. Focus on a spot on the ground.

Put a pillow on the ground if you are cautious about falling forward.

Emirking Stillalive

Your arms are completely straight before you start leaning (look at your tricep muscle before and after the lean). Once you get into your lean, you bend your arms just a little bit. It is not much, but it makes some difference, even if your arms are bent just for 2-3%.

Try to push your self of the ground a little bit harder, and only with your hands. You also need a little bit more protraction.

So, try to focus more on protraction and straight arms, it should make your planche lean harder.

You lose some protraction on your tuck planche, you are not pushing as much as you do in the planche lean. 

I think you should skip tuck planche and focus more on correct planche lean, and you can do some pseudo planche push-ups as well.

Read this topic https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/684-planche-training-video/

Edited by GORIZONT

Don't look forward. Focus on a spot on the ground.

Put a pillow on the ground if you are cautious about falling forward.

Oh ok, haha. I always thought looking forward was proper form or something.

Your arms are completely straight before you start leaning (look at your tricep muscle before and after the lean). Once you get into your lean, you bend your arms just a little bit. It is not much, but it makes some difference, even if your arms are bent just for 2-3%.

Try to push your self of the ground a little bit harder, and only with your hands. You also need a little bit more protraction.

So, try to focus more on protraction and straight arms, it should make your planche lean harder.

You clearly lose some protraction on your tuck planche, you are not pushing as much as you do in the planche lean. 

I think you should skip tuck planche and focus more on correct planche lean, and you can do some pseudo planche push-ups as well.

Read this topic https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/684-planche-training-video/

Ah ok, I didn't noticed that part about the arms. I've guessed ever since I found out you need to depress the scaps as well I've been focusing too much on depressing the scapula to fix my form instead of anything else. I guess I "fixed" it a little too much. :P

What do you mean by pushing off the ground with my hands? And I'll see if I can change my routine a little bit to work more on planche lean.

Emirking Stillalive

When you push your self of the ground you basically protract, the more you push with your hands the more you protract. Your amrs are basically straight, but i feel like you can make them a little bit more straight by trying to push forward with your elbows. I hope i didn't not confuse you, so your elbow will be facing completely backwards. That's how it looked before you started to lean at all. 

GoldenEagle

Oh ok, haha. I always thought looking forward was proper form or something.

While you are training planche more energy needs to be exerted in flexing your core muscles. If you don't look forward your body doesn't have to flex the neck muscles as hard to maintain the entire body position. 

In a situation other than training, go ahead look forward.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Here's another attempt with just my planche lean, hope this form is a bit better.

ZwWDB1I1q5s

I saw that I lost that tricep contraction for a brief moment, I'm not quite used to focusing on contracting them yet.

Also, should I actively depress my scapula or does that just come naturally? I have a bit of trouble focusing on working several muscles at once, I focus on one, I lose contraction of the other, any tips on how to fix this?

Edited by LilRunt
  • Upvote 1

Alessandro Mainente

You can squeeze more the last by depressing the shoulder. I'd like to see the hands position.

• Upvote 1

You can squeeze more the last by depressing the shoulder. I'd like to see the hands position.

Modify the video as "not listed" so that only us can access to this material.

Oh yeah, I keep forgetting about my laptops camera position. The hands position is close to hands all the way back, like about 160-170 degrees turn from hands forward.

Emirking Stillalive

This is much better in my opinion, your upper back is rounded, your arms look perfect. As Alex said, you can depress a bit more. This is my approach for the planche lean: first I put my hands in position, then I try to push my self of the ground to protract, then I squeeze the lats by depressing the shoulders and in the same time I'm trying to connect my shoulders in front of me(like putting them together), you can also try to squeeze the lats and the chest in same time as you push the ground, then I try to push with my elbows forwards to straighten hands even more, and at the end when all of that is done i get into lean position, so I don't have to think about any of those things while i'm leaning. 

Basically you can do all of this before any kind of planche progression. As for tricep activation, I think it is not that much necessary to squeeze as much as you can, it just looks much better.

This is much better in my opinion, your upper back is rounded, your arms look perfect. As Alex said, you can depress a bit more. This is my approach for the planche lean: first I put my hands in position, then I try to push my self of the ground to protract, then I squeeze the lats by depressing the shoulders and in the same time I'm trying to connect my shoulders in front of me(like putting them together), you can also try to squeeze the lats and the chest in same time as you push the ground, then I try to push with my elbows forwards to straighten hands even more, and at the end when all of that is done i get into lean position, so I don't have to think about any of those things while i'm leaning. 

Basically you can do all of this before any kind of planche progression. As for tricep activation, I think it is not that much necessary to squeeze as much as you can, it just looks much better.

Alright thank you, so what I got left is to depress (and lean more?) and I'll try out your approach to the lean.

• Upvote 1