Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Muscle is the transition of a Muscle up?

ngoachoi

Im not talking about the pull up, i mean from when the bar/ring is at the chin level to when elbows are above the bar. if u have ur wrist at a false grip what muscles are being used?

Would it be considered a pulling or pushing?

GoldenEagle

Generally speaking a muscle up transition is a scapula depression that is combined with a tricep extension and a row. Strict bar muscle ups, with an upright torso, are harder than strict ring muscle ups.

Spend a few months just doing slow Russian dips to understand what needs to happen during the muscle up transition with strict form.

Edited by GoldenEagle

Mikkel Ravn

I'm guessing mostly posterior deltoids, to pull the elbows behind the centerline...

Alessandro Mainente

Triceps especially the fibers that connects the scapulas to the upper arm, and of course the triceps the origins on upper arm and insert on elbow.

Daniel Burnham

I guess I'm wondering why does it really matter. You can't get it by isolating the muscles and training them. Do you have a specific mobility issue that necessitates this information.

• Upvote 1

Im just wondering why do i progress on this exercise so easily. Im currently doing 32kg+ muscle ups on the straight bar, yet I've only been practicing false grip muscle up a few weeks. Was trying to pinpoint what I done right that might help others.

And if it is tricepts that must mean i have progressed just by isolating the tricept muscles when i used to do just tricept exercises a couple years back. And stuff like weighted russian dips?

Jan Reipert

could you provide a video? strict bar muscle ups with 32kg extre are pretty extraordinary.

Jan Reipert

not exactly what i expected but still really impressive. good job man!

• Upvote 2

James Hall

Surely it's time to move to a harder progression.  I'm sorry mate but that looks like an elbow injury waiting to happen.

Jon Douglas

Looks fine to me (up till 32kg). From here its triceps triceps triceps. Impressed you got the 40kg up there, but yknow how it is around here, form + consolidation volume before upping intensity :)

Thanks for the advice but to be honest I just wanted to know what muscles it worked and I have my answer.

ps there will always be a chance of injury I agree. But taking chances n pushing limits is what will make me stand out and stronger. Ive dipped with a extra 155% weight on top of my bodyweight. Im sure my elbows and shoulders got tested more on that.

James Hall

I agree with pushing limits, however check out the new podcast from Coach regarding the consolidation you need for connective tissue adaptation (joints, bones, ligaments etc).  

I haven't read it. But I know my body. I been doing 20kg muscle ups over a year before I decided to up the weight.

Coach Sommer

... But taking chances n pushing limits is what will make me stand out and stronger ...

I disagree.

You can play Russian Roulette only so long before you lose. With this reckless attitude it is a matter of when, not if, you are going to get injured.

Which of course is in direct opposition to your stated goals. People who are injured sit on the sidelines, get weaker not stronger and get less attention; not more.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

p.s. I enjoyed the strength demonstrated. It would be a shame to undo all of that hard work by training under the mistaken assumption that you are invincible.

• Upvote 13

Marios Roussos

Despite the break in form, that's a pretty impressive display of strength. Even more impressive though would be a video of you biking back home on your single speed with all of those kettlebells :)  

• Upvote 2

I didnt mean to say im invincible. I just meant that if you feel your ready why not do it. But as everything there will be risks, I believe in calculated risks.

People are quick to judge saying I will get injured, but have you asked my training history? Or the amount of prep I had before I attempted this? Lets gather all facts before jumping to assumptions and conclusions. Yes my form was bad. But does it mean I was stupid enough to attempt it only once or 50 times after knowing it may not be a wise idea?

@ MR :D thats not my bike. Would be a hell lot of a mission to carry them lol. I drove there

• Upvote 1

Coach Sommer

I didnt mean to say im invincible. I just meant that if you feel your ready why not do it. But as everything there will be risks, I believe in calculated risks.

People are quick to judge saying I will get injured, but have you asked my training history? Or the amount of prep I had before I attempted this? Lets gather all facts before jumping to assumptions and conclusions. Yes my form was bad. But does it mean I was stupid enough to attempt it only once or 50 times after knowing it may not be a wise idea?

Champions do not take unnecessary risks with their most precious training tool; their body. Their training is of necessity pragmatic and consistent. Those who insist on approaching exercise as a 'cowboy' seldom survive long enough to accomplish anything spectacular on a world class level.

No, need to ask your training history. After decades of working with some of the finest, strongest athletes in the world, I am well aware of what an elite level athlete is capable of safely performing and how often they can seek peak performance.

Many beginning and intermediate level athletes have a tendency to think that they are going to reinvent the wheel; before they have completely assimilated what the champions that have become before them learned. In my experience their swift rise in perceived ability is usually followed shortly thereafter by a rapid fall due to imprudent training decisions.

My advice is to slow down a little bit and tighten up your technique. It will cost you nothing and just may save you from a serious injury.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 5

Alexander Egebak

ngoachoi.

Coach only takes time to answer you because he can see that you have potential, and he genuinly wants the best for you. He is also the best one out here to give advice, so I would really recommend you to follow his advice and slow down a bit, reasses and then kick ass.

Thanks Coach Sommer for the advice. Wise words of a person that has seen and taught many champions. Whether I agree or disagree (not totally) il keep it in mind.

• Upvote 2

Robert Stejskal

@ MR :D thats not my bike. Would be a hell lot of a mission to carry them lol. I drove there

Those were IMPRESSIVE muscle-ups. 

I'd love to know your training history, etc.  Do you have an idea of why you are so good at these?  I'd love to know your "secret".

Alexander Egebak

I'd love to know your training history, etc.  Do you have an idea of why you are so good at these?  I'd love to know your "secret".

I don't want to be "that guy", but I think it is a combination of good genetics, long time training and doing it consistently.

But we have to see what OP says.

Thanks for your reply,

To be honest I haven't really got a secret. Im probably just lucky I have good genetics. I been training solely bodyweight exercises for 3 years now. I found when I wanted to achieve something i will just train it every day. But not to the point I feel fatigue. So 30-40 mins a day with about 5-6 mins rest if it was for strength. Il do the exact same exercise 5 times a week for about a month (while doing other muscles before or after the main one im concentrating on) then take a week off and try again. I know this probably contradicts a lot of training prog about over training. But it has not really effected me in a negative way.

I see it as a fine line to getting a injury or getting stronger. Just got to approach it sensibly.

Alexander Egebak

Thanks for your reply,

To be honest I haven't really got a secret. Im probably just lucky I have good genetics. I been training solely bodyweight exercises for 3 years now. I found when I wanted to achieve something i will just train it every day. But not to the point I feel fatigue. So 30-40 mins a day with about 5-6 mins rest if it was for strength. Il do the exact same exercise 5 times a week for about a month (while doing other muscles before or after the main one im concentrating on) then take a week off and try again. I know this probably contradicts a lot of training prog about over training. But it has not really effected me in a negative way.

I see it as a fine line to getting a injury or getting stronger. Just got to approach it sensibly.

You are a very interesting case so to say (:

Yes, you do really have good genetics when only having practiced for 3 years. Also, you have a high recovery rate since you can just train 5 times a week. And the fact that you do not experience fatigue even though you load heavily and train so often. I cannot help but to think that with a good coach and an intelligently structured program you could go beyond with what you have now and will achieve in the future.

Edited by Freshpro