Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Inside Look at Chinese Program for Olympic Lifts

Alan Tseng

http://sheltongstevens.blogspot.com/2014/04/a-look-behind-gold-of-chinese.html?spref=fb

Not exactly gymnastics, but there's a few gymnastics references.  One of the videos even shows a kid doing spotted HSPU for double digit reps as accessory work.  Also details how they are selected, how they train, their schedule, and even some very interesting recovery protocols that's unorthodox to the Western sports medicine (icing their testicles? :o ).

Jon Douglas

FWIW the teste thing is pretty common, iirc I have read a similar practice from steve maxwell (bjj) and steve cotter (xingyiquan/san da).

Chris Hansen

very interesting recovery protocols that's unorthodox to the Western sports medicine (icing their testicles? :o ).

So... Does that work?

Klemen Bobnar

Well, ice baths are pretty common and they cool the whole body...maybe the Chinese have just found the important part? :D

Also, ice baths sound so much nicer than icing your testes. That willpower though...

• Upvote 1

Eh, I remember in some science class I took back in middle school/high school?  that sperm is produced outside the body since it's too hot inside the body to produce it, i haven't taken science classes since high school so no idea if what I said makes sense or not

Carmen Schult

Eh, I remember in some science class I took back in middle school/high school?  that sperm is produced outside the body since it's too hot inside the body to produce it, i haven't taken science classes since high school so no idea if what I said makes sense or not

what? it's only too hot for them in your testicles if you put them into hot water. like a warm bath which makes them die, however i wouldn't try that out as it probably won't kill 100%. of course it's produced in the testicles where else?

what? it's only too hot for them in your testicles if you put them into hot water. like a warm bath which makes them die, however i wouldn't try that out as it probably won't kill 100%. of course it's produced in the testicles where else?

I'm saying the testicles is located outside the body because it's too hot for it to be produced inside the body

Mark Collins

I just did a tour of the Australian Institute of Sport today and they didn't mention icing the testicles in the recovery room. Maybe that's why that area is not part of the tour!

I did get to watch some state level gymnasts train and that was awesome.

Mikkel Ravn

Ok, make it official. Jon, please exert your mod powers and rename thread "The great testicle FAQ".

Edit: Not sure which noun the adverb 'great' modifies, so perhaps "The great FAQ about testicles" is more appropriate :P

ForzaCavaliere

The Chinese are champion weight lifters, therefore it must work. 

Also Lu Xiaojun (weightlifting champ) did an easy side-lever in a vid I saw once.

• Upvote 2

Remember, do not apply ice to testicles directly. :facepalm:

The chinese have some odd training methods but if it seems to work, they will do it.

Their weightlifting program is a blend of Bulgarian and Russian programming. Find a weakness and make it stronger. Go hard and heavy a lot but only with perfect form. They are also know for shorter rest periods and a few bodybuilding exercises including BW exercises at the end of their workouts.

For instance, the Russians are big on the fact that pulls should never be more than the 1rm whereas many of the Chinese coaches prefer to do pull past 1rm. It's pretty common for them to do max single or doubles of the day and then drop the weight and do back off. Some coaches like to do lots of pulls but you rarely ever hear of them squatting more than 3x/week sometimes 4. None of this squat every day 3 or 4 times or a zillion sessions a day.

Here is another by another Canadian. http://www.allthingsgym.com/larrys-chinese-weightlifting-experience-part-1-snatches-squats/

Cody Mims made a huge thread of his experience there. http://www.pendlayforum.com/showthread.php?t=7311

And a post by Kirksman, a funny Malaysian Chinese coach. Check out his other posts as this is part 3 of a 5 part series

http://lifthard.com/part-3-various-phases-of-athlete-preparation/