Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Calories burned during a Rings workout.

Xavier

About how many calories are burned during a 15 min workout consisting of: Bulgarian dips (3X5), Archer pushups (3X5), Crescent pushups(3X5), PPP (3X5), Wall Planche (1min), Iron Cross (20seconds) and Wall Handstands (1min)? I heard such workout should not burn more than 100 calories, but I'm skeptical about that :x . Ever since I started on the rings full time, and dropped everything else from my routine (except running) my calorie intake has gone through the roof. I'm always hungry :P and consume about 3000 calories a day, but somedays due to running and calisthenics required to be performed as part of my job (U.S. Navy), I burn about 500 calories which drops my net intake to 2500. I have not been losing weight at all, however, I appear to be getting skinnier.

David Picó García

well, i really don't know, but my opinion is that you can´t burn to much with 15 minutes of any exercises. Even running at hard pace i dont think you'll burn much more than those 100 kcal. With the training posted which i asume it has time to rest between series i'm sure you wont burn 100 kcal. An hour of spinning claims to burn about 700 calories. So 15 mins are 175 calories working hard large muscles (all numbers are absolutlely aproximated, i really don't know the exact number).

Although you may think 100 kcal are very little, think about you are really burning those calories, think about something it has 100 kcal like a yogur, and now think about it as you can evaporate it liberating hot, don't you think you'll need a lot of energy to make the yougurt dissapear? You are transformating 100 gr of yougur in to nothing (heat and work in fact)

You're not burning a lot thermogenically.

But if your workouts are stimulating your muscles enough that they are growing and getting stronger, that may raise your metabolism such that you body wants to take in extra nutrients to build such muscle mass. Building muscle mass requires a lot of energy.

Considering how I barely break a sweat during my workout, I'm quite impressed at how much my body has improved from just 15 min of exercise 4 times a week. The downside is that I have to eat a full grown cow everyday to sustain my energy and keep my muscle mass. What do you guys think about implementing protein shakes to my diet? So far, I don't take any supplements, but keep a high protein (150 g a day) and high carb (425g a day) diet.

That's way to many carbs IMO. BUt if it works for you then go for it.

1g/lbs protein is fine... but if you feel like you need more it can beneficial.

Jason Stein

Xavier,

You are consuming quite a lot of carbs, almost three times more than protein, of which it also seems like you're consuming quite a bit. Even without knowing your bodyweight, you're consuming quite a bit of both. You may want to rejigger those figures into a different ratio to best serve your current physical needs.

It'd also be helpful to know your fat intake in grams. Based on the information available, I'd speculate you have a low fat intake, which is a primary cause of lack of satiety, and results in minimal shifts in weight, either up or down.

best,

jason

Xavier,

You are consuming quite a lot of carbs, almost three times more than protein, of which it also seems like you're consuming quite a bit. Even without knowing your bodyweight, you're consuming quite a bit of both. You may want to rejigger those figures into a different ratio to best serve your current physical needs.

It'd also be helpful to know your fat intake in grams. Based on the information available, I'd speculate you have a low fat intake, which is a primary cause of lack of satiety, and results in minimal shifts in weight, either up or down.

best,

jason

I'm 5'10" and weigh 165lbs. While I agree that my carb intake is quite high, without it, I spent most of the day tired due to what I think is overtraining. My fat intake is around 90g a day and considering how I consume about 3000 calories per day, I don't think that's too bad (but it could be lower). With my static holds I pretty much been going to the point of failure (which I heard is not good), and I'm not a big fan of the whole 3x5(it feels as if I didn't really get a good workout), I'm more of a 3x10. I wonder if doing a cycle of 2 weeks of overload and 1 week underload will be beneficial. After all what's the point of being able to do straigh body raises? If you're always too sore to show it off to your friends whenever you run across an overhead bar.

Jason Stein

Hey Xavier,

With the quantity of the carbs you are eating, it's no wonder you feel tired and constantly hungry. Fatigue and insatiety are symptoms of too much carbohydrate, not enough fat.

Anecdotally, when I was road-biking and eating a carb-heavy diet, it seemed like I was eating meals every 90 minutes. I was never "full," meaning I'd finish a meal and could practically eat another one.

There are several systems available that provide groundwork ratios for protein, fat, and carbohydrate. I have experienced phenomenal physical changes using the Zone, which essentially dialed back the carbs, dialed up the fat and protein.

The Crossfit message boards, as well as Robb Wolf's blog, are terrific resources for various experiments in what are basically ancestral eating methods, i.e. low sugar and processed carbs.

I might have actually read this in a post by Alan [?] [braindx] on the Xfit boards, but essentially exercise will change the ratio of fat and muscle composition in your body. If you what to change the actual amount of fat and muscle, you have to tweak your diet.

To balance your current intake using Zone principles, you might try 125g P and 162g C. Depending on your physical output, you could then scale up or down the fat intake from 27 to 108g. Mind you, even what is essentially 18 blocks seems to me to be a lot of protein and carbs.

This isn't advice or a suggested course of action --- I'm just hoping to relate my experience to give you an idea of the possibilities. Maybe find someone in SD with whom you could talk it over --- someone who could also take in your body type and composition.

regards,

jason

Jason Stein

Sorry, Steve. Thanks for the link, and I hope I didn't misquote you too horribly.

best,

jason

• 2 weeks later...

I have taken quite a bit of nutritional training as it is part of my field as a chef and I have found a few things that have been helpful to me in maintaining a consistant energy level. First off protein is really only good up to a certain level, after a certain point you are doing more harm to your body than good. Protein is hard for the body to break down especially in abundance. Unless you are doing elitte level training I can not imagane ever needing over 150g of protein in a day. Carbs are great, they are the fastest way to get energy to the muscles but as it has been said they go quick. It is important to balance simple and complex carbs, especially in your morning meal. Simple carbs (sugars) take effect very quickly but can lead to crashing if overdone. Complex carbs (grains, bread etc) are broken down slower and give more consistant energy. Grains that are high in fiber break down slower as our body does not process fiber. When it comes to fat 90g seems a bit low. Fat is so important, especially in the morning. If your feeling a bit sluggish and you are losing weight than simply you are not eating enough. 3000 calories a day for most men, especially athletes is just not enough. I personally consume 5000 - 6000 a day ( 6'1, 195) and I have a great energy level all day. I prefer to eat 6 times a day as I can not go 4 - 5 hours without eating. I would suggest adding 20g of fat to breakfast and lunch (assuming you eat 3 times a day). Thats an extra 180 cal a meal and I can gaurantee you will notice a diffence in satiety. As long as you are not allergic to peanuts, peanut butter is your friend.

Andrew

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.