Beginner Equipment needed?

Started by WoodenCross, June 12, 2014 · 8 Replies · 2,423 Views

WoodenCross

Hi Guys, 

 

I'm fascinated by gymnastics and thinking of starting this program. Apart from the aesthetics, I feel the strength + flexibility + body control will benefit my basketball, help with injury prevention and overall fitness. I've never done gymnastics before, unless a cartwheel is counted lol.

 

WIll I need to buy rings and ropes to do this program, or any special equipment? (I've got a chin-up bar already). 

 

Are my goals realistic, in terms of what gymnastics can do for my body?

 

Any feedback will be most appreciated!!

Alexander Egebak

Rings will substitute most other equipment except for stall bars. But then you are good to go atleast until F3

WoodenCross

Thanks for the reply. So as a minimum requirement I'll need rings to do F1? Will the Chin-up bar suffice? 

Alexander Egebak

You need something adjustable for rows. And you will probably need parallel bars (or sturdy chairs) for dips, forgot to mention.

Wolf with one Ear

Rings, parallets, small weights for mobility work.  If you are on a tight budget, you can do a lot with a good dowel or a pipe and some chairs. Be clever but be safe.  There are some good ideas in the equipment forum.  Parallets can be made with pipe, pvc, or wood if you have a modest ability.  As you progress, you can become better equipped.  I would plan to invest in quality home rings at first, as you may get much use out of them.  It is worth the money.   The most significant consideration are stall bars.  Plan ahead to either build something, or save money to buy a set.  They are worth it, and integral to the program.  You can make do for a while without them, but as you progress, I would plan to have something to use as stall bars.  

 

Rope can come later, but you can find this at McMaster Carr for not too much.  (Manila, anyway).

Doug Brown

So just signed up.. but I don't belong to a gym.  I just train at home.  Are there ways to modify some of these exercises to be done at home?

Alexander Egebak

Ask the course forums for details about the specifics

Wolf with one Ear
Doug Brown said:

So just signed up.. but I don't belong to a gym.  I just train at home.  Are there ways to modify some of these exercises to be done at home?

I train at home as well.  Eventually, you will want to get some of the equipment described above, but starting out, you should be able to find a way to workout at home with minimal apparatus.  Check out the Equipment subforum for some ideas going forward.  

Nautique163

You can sub. Rings with a pair of handles made out of wood dowel or PVC . Drill some holes in them and use rope or cargo straps . I made a couple pair for friends , they work fine for rows in f1.But your going to need ring for the later progressions and the rings series