Can't wait to listen to this. Will an email go out to let us know when it's available?
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
FREE Foundation One Webinar: Q&A w/ Coach Sommer
Started by Cory Fair, May 21, 2014 · 120 Replies · 5,148 Views
bombadil said:Quick question about this: due to Father's Day, I was not able to "attend." However, I did pre-register. I can's seem to be able to find an access point to the recorded show in any of my F1 materials... Am I looking in the wrong spot, or is it simply not posted yet? Can't wait to listen!!
On the course front page there's a webinar button, can you see it?
meras said:On the course front page there's a webinar button, can you see it?
Nope. I've looked on my main page that has the launch for F1, F2 ,and H1. Not there. Also, if I click into F1, it's not there either... What do you think is up? I assume I should be seeing a button somewhere...
Okay. Embarrassed. It's there. And the icon is enormously conspicuous.
Sorry!
I registered for the webinar but wasn't able to attend. I saw that those who registered were supposed to have access already, and when I go go the seminar page it says that it will be available in a few weeks. Am I missing something?
I can't help but wonder if doing regular audiocasts would be a better option than regular webinars.
I think the live element is unnecessary if GB staff are fielding questions anyway. Why not collect questions, pick the best ones as a plan, then record Coach's responses, and upload as an MP3 stream?
It will save all the logistical and technical headaches of bringing everyone together into a live session.
wheezer said:I can't help but wonder if doing regular audiocasts would be a better option than regular webinars.
I think the live element is unnecessary if GB staff are fielding questions anyway. Why not collect questions, pick the best ones as a plan, then record Coach's responses, and upload as an MP3 stream?
It will save all the logistical and technical headaches of bringing everyone together into a live session.
You miss the point as the entire purpose of the webinar is to bring together students from around the world.
Yes, some of the technical issues were annoying and forced us to adapt the format. But since when does a bump in the road ever mean we just quit altogether and go with the lazy option? Those technical issues have been resolved and the software changed. What will be the case in future webinars is that a number of students will be able to ask their questions directly to Coach. Unmuted and live.
I will also point out that there were no "GB Staff," only Coach Sommer and three GB Coaches. You don't always see us in the forums daily answering specific questions because we spend the greater majority of our time either working with our own athletes/students or working to bring you more quality resources and improvements. The GB Webinars are the place where a student can truly get attention on the most pressing items in your training. ![]()
Oh I think Sunday was handled brilliantly - and thanks to everyone involved. My comments were more about the webinar platform in general.
The vision for future webinars sounds exciting.
I liked the aspect I was experiencing information in time with other members. Nice to have community. Look forward to the next. Nice one!
kimura said:I registered for the webinar but wasn't able to attend. I saw that those who registered were supposed to have access already, and when I go go the seminar page it says that it will be available in a few weeks. Am I missing something?
I'm experiencing the same thing.
I think the webinar is online available...
![]()
I see it on the screen, but it isn't playing (waited > 30m in high-speed office setting). Anyone else have luck?
Worked for me two days ago (and again today now that I just re-checked). I know this sounds stupid, but check to make sure the volume is up as it was set to off both times I tried. Keep in mind it's audio only so you won't see any visual cue that it has started other than the time progressing on the bottom right.
Ha! Thanks MR. I had the volume on my computer up, but the volume control on the webinar page was on mute -- and I kept waiting to see something on the screen.
Sorry totally forgot to mention about the sound... ![]()
Just listened to the recording, awesome information from Coach Sommer once again.
I had a question regarding the concept of "overload, load, and under load" as it pertains to Foundation though. I understand that the Deload weeks are a period of "under load"/easier workouts, but am I correct in interpreting Coach talking about there being a difference in the load/intensity and the volume/duration of an exercise?
So for instance, even if the final set of a mastery attempt of say HBR'S is uncomfortable and you feel the muscles "burning" due to the build up of metabolic wastes/lactic acid, that in fact the load itself may have become an under load (as the first set or few sets were probably quite easy) even though the volume of work may still be a challenge?
I know Coach did say that the higher volume earlier exercises were designed to allow the connective tissues to catch up, so I thought this might be what he meant, but was curious to find out if my understanding was accurate.
Anyhow, thanks again.
Keegan said:Just listened to the recording, awesome information from Coach Sommer once again.
I had a question regarding the concept of "overload, load, and under load" as it pertains to Foundation though. I understand that the Deload weeks are a period of "under load"/easier workouts, but am I correct in interpreting Coach talking about there being a difference in the load/intensity and the volume/duration of an exercise?
So for instance, even if the final set of a mastery attempt of say HBR'S is uncomfortable and you feel the muscles "burning" due to the build up of metabolic wastes/lactic acid, that in fact the load itself may have become an under load (as the first set or few sets were probably quite easy) even though the volume of work may still be a challenge?
I know Coach did say that the higher volume earlier exercises were designed to allow the connective tissues to catch up, so I thought this might be what he meant, but was curious to find out if my understanding was accurate.
Anyhow, thanks again.
Interesting question. I had always assumed underload/overload to refer to perceived effort rather than actual mechanical load, but your explanation may be equally valid or perhaps more accurate. I would be interested to hear the answer.
Having been stuck on high volume HBP PE2 for 6 months +, would this mean I've been in an underload phase the whole time? Is this the most efficient training stimulus or would there be a safe way to reach the required mastery level more quickly? Btw, I've read all the threads about breaking plateaus and I am continuing to make progress, albeit slow. I am speaking more generally and just trying to understand the theory behind the programming.
I had previously assumed the same thing (even though "load" is never actually used synonymously with degree of perceived effort in exercise science) after hearing Coach talk about how he had used Steady State training with his athletes and that they eventually got to the point where they felt the load was very light and would have to beg him to increase the load.
Extrapolating this to Foundation I had thought that this meant one should eventually reach a point where say HBP/PE2 became so easy that someone would be begging to make it harder. But, that completely contradicted his statements about how we should be busting our butts in training, that our comfort was not his concern/that we should often be uncomfortable in training, and other such little motivational gems. :-)
So I got to thinking that I must either be off with my interpretation, or that Coach is a truly cruel man who is just trying to confuse the heck out of us. :-D
After listening to the webinar though and really thinking about what he was saying my previously stated conclusion came about. It's really the only solution that I can come up with to reconcile the apparent contradiction in those two statements which still allows them both to be true.
Speaking of Coach confusing the hell out of us, I'm having trouble reconciling the two concepts of: "You can't do mobility work at the same intensity as your strength training" and "When we did real stretching with people, they said it was one of the hardest things they'd ever done in their lives."
If stretching isn't supposed to be done at a strength training level of intensity, how is real stretching (vs. loosening up / limbering) so rare and difficult to accomplish? Is there a way that something can be extremely hard without being intense?
He has said that the im's are limbering and not stretching.
And that mobility work is different from stretching.