Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Where to buy meat in bulk?

Graig Alpert

Graig Alpert

Where do you all buy meat in bulk? I eat a hell of a lot of meat and I couldn't find any good places online or in person to buy grass fed beef.

Josh Schmitter

US Wellness Meats is pretty good for online. Not cheap, but not super expensive. There's also a bunch of jerky places...I like Sofia's Jerky Chews, just google it. May chime in again later, but have to keep packing for the fam Costa Rica trip.

• Upvote 1

Matthew Proulx

Not many could afford to buy real grassfed beef in bulk unless they go halves with someone, buy a live one and get it butchered. Definitely the way to go if you are a big beef eater. Cheaper option is to hunt, nothing beats venison and elk.

Mikkel Ravn

My dad and I split a quarter of an ox between us every year. Cheaper and better than the supermarkets, but still not exactly cheap...

Graig Alpert

US Wellness Meats is exactly what I was looking for, thanks! Storage of a whole cow, or even part of one, could be problematic ha. Any other websites you guys might recommend for other foods such as bulk organic fruits and vegetables? I grow a few around the property but can't get them year-round.

Btw I just bought a case (12 cans) of the 14.75 oz cans of wild Alaskan Salmon at Whole Foods and got 10% off so total was just under $40! I thought that was a really good deal. Couldn't find that Salmon cheaper anywhere else.

Matthew Proulx

My dad and I split a quarter of an ox between us every year. Cheaper and better than the supermarkets, but still not exactly cheap...

Ya its a big bill usually but over the course of a year you can save a few + hundred. Gotta have a spare freezer for sure. Those who can't I suggest eating lots of eggs. I pay .20cents an egg and eat 6 a day. 36g of protein for $1.20, other meats just don't compare in price to protein ratio.

Keilani Gutierrez

LiveWyld,

what country are you in? if you learn how to clone (or if there's enough spare seed to just plug into the ground) you can re-plant your own plants from the existing stock at your property. it's easier to clone because then you know what you're expecting! (tomatoes in PR are lame...they get sick real fast. haven't found a Pheno i've liked yet.)

Graig Alpert

MattProulox, yeah I used to eat 12-20 eggs a day practically every day in addition to 1-2 lbs beef. It's much cheaper but there's a hell of a lot more cholesterol per given amount of protein or per caloric intake.

Keilani, I'm in the US currently in Florida. I don't have too much property but lots of coconut trees and a few pineapples I planted. Other than that I get mangos, oranges and starfruit from the neighbors.

Keilani Gutierrez

pineapples are pretty self-explanatory on how to clone. palm trees can yield you some coconuts when young, but not too young. the one's in our backyard are the coconut bearing type and it wasn't after about 7-8 yrs that they started giving us coconuts. i could count the rings on the palm but i'm unaware of the phenotype or even it's parents. 

mangoes are sick, i love the apple, pineapple and regular pheno. chutney for miles and miles.   :D (BTW, Tris, these were the behemoths i was refering to.) 

can you grow quenepas in FL? (googled and found out it's called Spanish Lime....whatever.) 

edit: didn't mention it earlier, but Malabar spinach grows like weeds here in PR. i had a dirt mix outside where a plant was growing over and around, after the plant passed it's cycle, the seeds just recently started germinating around this papaya tree that the soil mix was used to back fill, since my puppy kept digging, trying to up-root it. it grows pretty fast and the seed production per plant could ensure a pretty decent sized patch in a few generations(which is what im currently trying to get going.)

Edited by Keilani Gutierrez

Graig Alpert

Cool stuff. I've never heard of quenepas before but I assume we can grow them here since the climate in South FL is similar to PR. I'll give it a try if I can find them somewhere.

Jennifer Rodriguez

You can check the  Eat Wild website for local farms and ranchers.   Also your local CSA might have some leads and you might be able to connect with people doing meat shares.

• Upvote 1

Matthew Proulx

Florida, plenty of places to get meat and dairy in florida, I lived in my teens down there. Go to the farmers markets, we used to get meat and fruit/vegetables there all the time. We don't really have much stuff like that up here in western Canada.

• Upvote 1

Biren Patel

Where I live, I can get whole chickens, gutted, for $7. Natural, local chickens and I can use the bones for soup. The meat lasts a whole week. For 7 bucks that's great. I have seen the steriod chickens too, they're almost twice as muscular. I would say look around the various grocers in your city for whole chickens. By far, they are the most affordable meat I've found. 7 bucks/week of meat is a steal.

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.