Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Coach's Podcast with Barbell Shrugged

Daniel Burnham

Daniel Burnham

The "quit climbing the rope!" quote for when you have tendonitis really hit home for me :)

Matthew Proulx

43 mins, It didn't seem that long. I haven't climbed a rope in over 10 years. Need to get F3&4 ASAP and see what goodies are in there for pull progressions.

Merunas Astrauskas

"hate that[chin hangs] with a passion" is putting it lightly.

This was a great podcast and I hope to see more in the future. Coach seems like a great guy and now I really want to attend one of his workshops. ehh, one day..

Douglas Wadle

That's great.  love it.  crazy amount of info in less than an hour of talking.

• Upvote 1

Joachim Nagler

Not quite as informative as the Robb Wolf podcast, but still good stuff.

I think this one is better   :)

Really cool podcast, lots of infos, I love it!

Redwan Haque

All this talk of repulsion work being used to build up super tough connective tissue makes me excited for Movement :)

• Upvote 2

Jon Douglas

All this talk of repulsion work being used to build up super tough connective tissue makes me excited for Movement :)

Seriously. Im so ready for some bouncing :D

Enjoyed this podcast more than the last, would definitely like to hear more :)

• Upvote 1

I really enjoyed this podcast. I agree with what everything Coach said there except for the part where he said a false grip is very important for the slow muscle-up. From my own experience as well as hearing/seeing the same from a few others, it is possible to do a slow MU without a false grip. The false grip is just an aid to make the transition easier without having to rotate the palms above the rings and to lessen the strength required in the transition. Perhaps he just meant that the false grip is the best way to help someone progress to being able to MU?

Joachim Gryholm

I really enjoyed this podcast. I agree with what everything Coach said there except for the part where he said a false grip is very important for the slow muscle-up. From my own experience as well as hearing/seeing the same from a few others, it is possible to do a slow MU without a false grip. The false grip is just an aid to make the transition easier without having to rotate the palms above the rings and to lessen the strength required in the transition. Perhaps he just meant that the false grip is the best way to help someone progress to being able to MU?

A good false grip can't hurt though, good for building forearm strength etc. so people will benefit in the end and hence make the normal grip MU even easier, at least thats what I think the idea behind it is...

Matthew Barrett

The false grip is fundamental to the rings an important for not just acrobatic skills but strength skills as well. Look beyond the muscle up.

Also it is physically not possible to do a muscle up with the wrists below the rings unless you pull from an overgrip to a false grip. The elbows must be able to get above the wrists. Of course, I am making an assumption that we are talking about a quality MU where the entire body moves as one unit straight up with the rings remaining under the anchor. Not the ones where the body travels back behind the rings and then forward over the rings.

Coach Sommer

I really enjoyed this podcast. I agree with what everything Coach said there except for the part where he said a false grip is very important for the slow muscle-up.

You misunderstood.  My FG comments were not directed only to the MU.

FG in and of itself is of critical importance in terms of more advanced ring strength elements; azarian to iron cross, maltese, azarian to maltese, inverted cross etc etc.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 3

Alessandro Mainente

What's your pov about the gymnasts who perform without false grip as Denis Abljazin?

Andrew Stagmer

The podcast was AWESOME! I love how Coach Christopher Sommer goes about expressing his views on gymnastics in Crossfit. Reminds me of Louie Simmons but for Gymnastics!

The false grip is fundamental to the rings an important for not just acrobatic skills but strength skills as well. Look beyond the muscle up.

Also it is physically not possible to do a muscle up with the wrists below the rings unless you pull from an overgrip to a false grip. The elbows must be able to get above the wrists. Of course, I am making an assumption that we are talking about a quality MU where the entire body moves as one unit straight up with the rings remaining under the anchor. Not the ones where the body travels back behind the rings and then forward over the rings.

It is physically possible to MU without having to get into a false grip at any point. False grip is when the wrist touches the rings. The wrists will obviously have to still get above the rings after the middle of the transition and that is done by sliding the hands over when transitioning. The MUs I'm talking about here are also of strict or quality form.

You misunderstood.  My FG comments were not directed only to the MU.

FG in and of itself is of critical importance in terms of more advanced ring strength elements; azarian to iron cross, maltese, azarian to maltese, inverted cross etc etc.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

But those skills/movements you mentioned above are also possible without using false grip. It's obviously quite a bit harder to do without the false grip. I assume you mean it's important for competitive gymnasts who perform on the rings as it gives them an advantage and that it is probably impossible for their grip to last throughout the whole routine without false gripping.

Tristan Curtis

But those skills/movements you mentioned above are also possible without using false grip. It's obviously quite a bit harder to do without the false grip. I assume you mean it's important for competitive gymnasts who perform on the rings as it gives them an advantage and that it is probably impossible for their grip to last throughout the whole routine without false gripping.

If it makes MU and more advanced ring work easier, false grip is important to me.  :P

• Upvote 1

Keilani Gutierrez

wouldn't using the FG help give stability to the Brachialis in anyway? I wonder. the Brachialis is a muscle i know little about. #googles