Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Chondroitin, glucosamine, MSM articles

Razz

Hey

Wondering if anyone have any articles or information about the mentioned product, especially regarding recommended dosation of it, since everywhere i looked i found different info.

Thanks, Razz

Scott Kane

Questions and Answers: NIH Glucosamine/chondroitin Arthritis Intervention Trial Primary Study http://nccam.nih.gov/research/results/gait/qa.htm#b4

I liked this brand-->http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/browse/sku_detail.jsp?id=UI-1003

I am currently taking Labrada's ElastiJoint and it tastes like crap! I've only been using the ElastiJoint for about a week, so it's too early to tell if it seems to be working the same, better, or worse. I also used Emergen-C Joint Health. It tasted fine, but I believe the Utrition brand worked the best thus far. I used the Utrition brand a while back when I had a nagging biceps tendon strain. Within a few weeks it was all healed up and that was the only difference. Seemed to work for me.

Whatever you do, make sure you get the SULFATE form of Chondroitin and Glucosamine. Do not buy the HCl stuff. Also, liquid will be better absorbed than pill/capsule form.

Jason Stein

Scott ---

Please read the summary findings of the GAIT study you cited. I have included the portion that may be of interest to you.

"Overall, there were no significant differences between the other treatments tested and placebo.

It should also be mentioned that the GAIT report was accompanied by an editorial:

"[based on this study], it seems prudent to tell our patients with symptomatic osteoarthritis of the knee that neither glucosamine hydrochloride nor chondroitin sulfate alone has been shown to be more efficacious than placebo for the treatment of knee pain."

However, I also suppose there's no discounting the placebo effect.

regards,

jason

Scott Kane
Key Results

What were the key results of the study?

Researchers found that:

* Participants taking the positive control, celecoxib, experienced statistically significant pain relief versus placebo—about 70 percent of those taking celecoxib had a 20 percent or greater reduction in pain versus about 60 percent for placebo.

* Overall, there were no significant differences between the other treatments tested and placebo.

* For a subset of participants with moderate-to-severe pain, glucosamine combined with chondroitin sulfate provided statistically significant pain relief compared with placebo—about 79 percent had a 20 percent or greater reduction in pain versus about 54 percent for placebo. According to the researchers, because of the small size of this subgroup these findings should be considered preliminary and need to be confirmed in further studies.

* For participants in the mild pain subset, glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate together or alone did not provide statistically significant pain relief.

In my personal experience it has worked. Since I have disc degeneration, spondylolisthesis, and arthritis in my spine I take it as a prophylactic treatment to hopefully prevent further damage.

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.