Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

One Arm Chin up

babas

Hey everyone!

I'd like to be able to do one arm chin ups. Currently i'm at 5 L-Sit pull ups and about 15-18 normal pull ups.

Could you lay out a progression i could follow to achive my goal?

thanks in advance

alex

Christian Nogueira

Foundation progresses to legless rope climbs which leaves you well in the way of having a 1 arm pullup, atleast it'll bring you to the point where you can train it safely. That'd probably be the best way as it's very progressive and includes good mobility work in order to avoid issues and roadblocks. It's also a complete training program that addresses practically everything you need to do instead of narrowly focusing on only one move.

Outside Foundation, some people have success adding weighted pullups and combining it with some 1 arm pullup progressions like rock climber pullup, where you pullup with both arms but only one hand is gripping the bar and the other hand is gripping your arm.

You can progress this movement by varying the position of your hand as further away from the wrist will make it harder.

One other way some people use is do assisted one arm pullups, like using a towel or one hand or a post. Once again you can progress this movement by varying the position of the hand. 

Once you're very good you can try doing one arm pullup negatives and statics. 

Be sure to include some plain old high rep days in pullups (varying the grips) or high rep ring rows as high rep work can be important in tendon health and you will have tendinitis if you approach this incorrectly and do work you are not ready for. Include some one arm hangs for time (assisted at first with feet somewhere and progress slowly) also for tendon health.

Whatever you do train cautiously as focusing on this move is a classical way to get elbow tendinitis if you go for intensity/volume that you aren't prepared for.

Douglas Wadle

Once you can do 20 pull ups, non-kipping, I'd start doing assisted one arm pullups with a towel draped over the bar.  Start holding it near the top of the towel, and as you get stronger slowly move your hand down the towel.  Once you're about 6 inches from the bar, you can start training negatives, and then finally working on the 1-arm.  Grip strength is almost as important in 1-arm work as arm and back strength.  Weighted pull ups are also helpful.  Note the above cautions regarding tendonitis from dritar.

• Upvote 1

Alessandro Mainente

The stress over forearm muscles is far more bigger then what is generated by normal pullup. so there is no exercises that provide the same elbows conditioning as rope climbing progression. Who achieve the oac/oap without rope climbing preparation could suffer, in the future, for lack of joints preparation.

• Upvote 1

Thank you for your inside. I read a lot about the joints-problem and am not in a hurry.

Furthermore, I wasn't planing und doing oac-only training. i plan on doing it with dips and hanging leg raises.

On  two days a week i was also planing on doing kettlebell get ups.

I wanted to aim for pull ups with 50% bodyweight first and also add weight to my dips in a similar fashion.

Right now i could probalby do a pull up with with a 24 kg kettlebell for one rep, so i thought i'd start with the 16 kg kettlebell as added weight.

Plan looks something like this

Monday and Thursday : superset weighted pull ups and dips 1,2,3 x3 keeping the weight the same for one month. After that finsh with some hanging leg raises

Tuesday and Friday: Kettlebell get ups and kettlebell swings

When i achive the 50% bodyweight + i than want to focus on archer pull ups and the like.

Foundation one seems to be a well tought out plan but how many hour a week does it require to be worthwill? And do you see any problems with this routine?

Matthew Proulx

You should be doing muscle ups before doing 1 arm work, If you don't have exceptionally strong wrists OAC are gonna be hard on them.

WitnessTheFitness

For me, I never trained for OAC, just did lots of weighted two arm pullups, and once I was lifting 140lbs or so was able to do it. If I could do it over again I would focus on assisted OAC, since it seems to have faster results. How you start the move makes a huge difference, too. Starting from a dead hang, with your arm completely extended, is a world of a difference from starting with feet on the floor and even a little bit of bend in the arm.

Multiple reps is where I hit a wall. Just can't break past 1 rep.