Hello my fellow gymnasts,
A few months ago, I noticed that I was pretty close to a split, without too much training. Encouraged by this, I started training for a full split. I was aware that making progress with the split might take a while. However, I never really thought of warming up my legs much. At first this was not much of a problem, but after about two months I started to experience pain in my left groin. When this pain kept coming back everytime I trained for the split again, I decided to rest for a few months to let my groin heal.
I have now been resting for two months and yesterday I decided to attempt a split again. I wanted to be sure that I did it right this time, so I warmed up with: Running in place, jumping jacks, mountain climbers, squats and the butterfly stretch. I did this for about a total of 10 minutes. So I now felt safe to go into a split, but as I slowly lowered into a split I experienced the same pain in my left groin again. (No pain felt in my right groin)
How can I make sure this doesn't happen again? Did I permanently damage it? Should I rest longer?
Any help is welcome!
Adriaan S.