Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

can you eat too little carbs?

lisiflex

Hello! I have a problem.

I am doing body weight exercises 3 days a week for about 1 hour. Additionally, I to tumbling 3 hours a week und Tuesdays and 2 hours on Wednesday. I usually do tumbling at home on my trapoline as well everyday for about 1-2 hours. The rest of my time I spend at uni, studying or with friends.

When I didn't train so much, my eating habits were fine! I didn't really like chocolate, not even as a kid, so I never ate it.

But since I train so much, it is like this: I train for some days, feel really good and energized, sometimes even with a lot of energy after training! But then after some days, I feel totally tired and weak and could eat everything, but especially sweets!!

Do you think it might be to less "fuel"? I tried to eat little carbs, because I want a "toned" body....

My previous diet looked like this:

Breakfast:
cup of caffe latte, 2 slices of protein bread, ham, cheese, quark spread, 1 big banana

Snack:
hand full of nuts

Lunch:
150gr of low fat curd cheese, 2 tablespoons of strawberry yoghurt, 100ml milk mixed together
1 banana

Dinner:
200 gr of meat, 100gr of brown rice, 100 gr of veggies

Dessert: 200ml of hot chocolate

I need to admit that sometimes after training and don't feel like eating and I sometimes skipped the dinner and just had another 2 slices of protein bread!

Might this be too less? Or too less carbs? I can't eat more fruit or veggies, because I immediately get gastritis!

Do you have any recommendations?

What about this changed plan:

Breakfast: 
2 slices of whole grain bread with cheese and ham+1 egg+ 1 banana 

Lunch:
250gr of low fat curd cheese, 2 tablespoons of strawberry yoghurt, 80gr of oat flakes, a little bit of milk mixed together

After training: some sort of soft drink like ice tea, coke etc
hand full of nuts

Dinner:
200gr of meat, 100 gr of brown rice/quinoa/potatoes with 1 egg, 100gr of vegetables
Dessert: 250ml of hot chocolate

I would love if I get some recommendations! It's really annoying, because I feel so good on some days and then there comes this deep where I just need to eat until I feel sick and do nothing! And these days get more common :(

By the way, I am 5'3'' and about 115lbs. I want to keep this weight!

Thank you!

Hello! I have a problem.

I am doing body weight exercises 3 days a week for about 1 hour. Additionally, I to tumbling 3 hours a week und Tuesdays and 2 hours on Wednesday. I usually do tumbling at home on my trapoline as well everyday for about 1-2 hours. The rest of my time I spend at uni, studying or with friends.

When I didn't train so much, my eating habits were fine! I didn't really like chocolate, not even as a kid, so I never ate it.

But since I train so much, it is like this: I train for some days, feel really good and energized, sometimes even with a lot of energy after training! But then after some days, I feel totally tired and weak and could eat everything, but especially sweets!!

Do you think it might be to less "fuel"? I tried to eat little carbs, because I want a "toned" body....

My previous diet looked like this:

Breakfast:

cup of caffe latte, 2 slices of protein bread, ham, cheese, quark spread, 1 big banana

Snack:

hand full of nuts

Lunch:

150gr of low fat curd cheese, 2 tablespoons of strawberry yoghurt, 100ml milk mixed together

1 banana

Dinner:

200 gr of meat, 100gr of brown rice, 100 gr of veggies

Dessert: 200ml of hot chocolate

I need to admit that sometimes after training and don't feel like eating and I sometimes skipped the dinner and just had another 2 slices of protein bread!

Might this be too less? Or too less carbs? I can't eat more fruit or veggies, because I immediately get gastritis!

Do you have any recommendations?

What about this changed plan:

Breakfast: 

2 slices of whole grain bread with cheese and ham+1 egg+ 1 banana 

Lunch:

250gr of low fat curd cheese, 2 tablespoons of strawberry yoghurt, 80gr of oat flakes, a little bit of milk mixed together

After training: some sort of soft drink like ice tea, coke etc

hand full of nuts

Dinner:

200gr of meat, 100 gr of brown rice/quinoa/potatoes with 1 egg, 100gr of vegetables

Dessert: 250ml of hot chocolate

I would love if I get some recommendations! It's really annoying, because I feel so good on some days and then there comes this deep where I just need to eat until I feel sick and do nothing! And these days get more common :(

By the way, I am 5'3'' and about 115lbs. I want to keep this weight!

Thank you!

I counted all the macronutrients now...

It's about 260gr of carbs, 125gr of protein and 55gr of fat! All together about 2100kcal!

Nigel Leeming

Hi Lisiflex. I can relate to what you're saying with the gorging. Some people will try and tell you it's the beginning of an eating disorder, but it's more likely your body's way of telling you to get more nutrients.

For me, it's trying to keep my weight down combined with overtraining and overcompeting. I've just finished the rounds of bouldering competitions for this winter and there were times when I chomped on everything I could see until I was bloated. These were often days following an enforced couple of days of very little eating followed by either four hours of bouldering competition or two hours running (both just over 1000cals)

I've recently tried a keto diet to see if it made any difference, but I keep failing at it and going back to carbs. I'm not sure what the answer is other than keeping a close eye on what you eat against what you do physically, but it's almost impossible.

One thing I have gathered is that when I'm hungry, I go for the breakfast cereal. That seems to be the stuff leaving me feeling uncomfortable, so I have steered away from them. When I do get the urge, I have a tiny amount in the bottom of a very small bowl, around 100cals with the milk, and that seems to help.

Callum Muntz

Looks like a tiny amount of food to me... 

Lunch:
1 banana

Do you really only have a banana and, from what I can deduce, a small milkshake type thing for lunch?

Coach Sommer

I have some very interesting discussions recently with people who had been extremely low carbs for a prolonged period of time.  

- On the reintroduction of carbs, even relatively low amounts, their bodies had an "allergic" type response; swelling, bloating etc.  Very unpleasant.

- To get around required them adding only an additional 10g of carbs per day/per week over a period of 8-10 weeks.

- A reasonable solution that others have used to avoid this "carb allergic reaction" is to have at least one carb heavy feeding every 7-10 days.  According to them, this seemed to be enough to jump start the thyroid and avoid the extreme sensitivity to carbs.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 1

Frankincensed

Curious if my post was deleted for suggesting person should add calories around workout?

Based on standard calcs.

• 2 weeks later...

Can we talk more about the carb cycling approach that coach just mentioned? Coach, do you recommend a cyclic low carb diet for health and performance? Like 5-7 days lowcarb followed by a refeed?

Jon Douglas

I've done the 'anabolic diet' style once a week refeed when I was pushed for time for MMA, several times. Works well. Generally I can't say I gained a whole lot in that time though-- conditioning yes, str no, but that was also likely a product of my training regime :) wouldn't be my personal choice for long term pursuit of GST, esp more times a week than 2-3, but definitely got me to weight fast when I needed it.

Of course YMMV. People can adjust to anything.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I think I agree.  I like the concept, but the application, especially for someone as active as gst 3x or more per week plus handstand work and conditioning via sprints, etc. , needs more consistent fueling.  I think Josh's ideas and the "backloading" idea of carbs in the PWO window is a nice compromise to realizing some of the benefits of low carb while also hitting the fueling requirements.. 

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.