This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 090501

Started by Coach Sommer, May 1, 2009 · 7 Replies · 1,392 Views

Coach Sommer

WOD%20-%20090501.jpg

Complete the following:

3 sets of; 3 MU, 3 XR L-sit press to shoulderstand, 3 Bulgarian Dips, forward roll to 3 FL Pulls, BL, FL

3x5 Negative Back Pulls

Finish the workout with 10 Wall Extensions.

notes:

1) Rest at least 3-5 minutes between ring strength sets.

2) If 3 reps of each element is too difficult, feel free to scale down to 2 reps or even 1 if necessary. Remember that quality is more important than quantity.

3) Each static position should be held for 3 seconds.

4) Complete all three ring strength sets prior to beginning the Negative Back Pulls.

5) Perform the Negative Back Pulls as slowly as possible. Pause at the bottom of the position in the German Hang (BtGB, pg. 12), however be careful to not exceed your current ROM.

Richard Duelley

That ring series looks brutal. I am going to give it a shot at 3 reps per element and see what happens, and then scale it from there. :mrgreen:

Ryan Hutchins

I tried to start with 3 of everything but i got halfway thru and my body couldn't do anymore. so i scaled it back to two.

3 rounds

2 of everything

1 x 5 reverse BL pulls. did them super slow with a straight body. Only did one set trying to baby my hurt wrist which is feeling a lot better.

2x10 wall extensions

Richard Duelley

I didnt get a chance to try this ring series because I got side tracked trying to perform Reverse Muscle-Ups (I was close but just couldnt push past the transition) :mrgreen: So I made up a quick ring series that involved the downward portion of the Reverse Muscle up (ie shoulder stand to inverted hang).

3 sets of

Muscle up :arrow: Bulgarian Dip :arrow: L-sit :arrow: press shoulder stand :arrow: lower through to inv hang :arrow: backlever :arrow: pull front lever :arrow: pull to german hang :arrow: pull to dead hang. (The levers and 360 pull are in adv tuck position).

I have to say that the negative reverse muscle up has to be the most demanding curling movement I have ever done (I did it as SLOWLY as I could). My biceps, traps, and chest were rocked afterward (I also did a few reps on the low rings before I did the ring series ones just to make sure I would come crashing down).

I will definitely try the WOD ring series on Monday.

heinrich

- 3 sets of:

assisted MU - 1 support press to shoulderstand (feet on straps) - 1 ring dip - forward roll to 3 FL-Pulls (tuck) - BL (adv tuck) - FL (adv tuck)

- 3x4 negative back pulls (adv tuck)

- finished with 2x10 wall extensions

The ring strentgh series was really hard.

Coach Sommer:

In the essay describing the ring strength series 2 you said that you prefer to stay with series no. 1 until one is able to perform 3 MU's in a row. Is that true for all of these ring strength series?

Would it be better to build a solid base on ring strength series 1 instead of doing all those moves in tuck or maybe adv tuck position?

I mean I'm doing support press to shoulderstand with maybe bad form?! Should I first focus on getting those levers done?

Coach Sommer
Would it be better to build a solid base on ring strength series 1 instead of doing all those moves in tuck or maybe adv tuck position? I mean I'm doing support press to shoulderstand with maybe bad form?! Should I first focus on getting those levers done?

Excellent question! The simple answer is yes; most beginners would be better served focusing on the basics. It is not exciting or glamorous and can be rather monotonous, but it is very effective. For an example of the gains possible from consistently following a basic program check out this post by GB forum member killroy70.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

heinrich

Thanks for the advice Coach Sommer!

Looks like one nugget of gold to me.

I'll focus on getting the basics done before comming back for the WODs.

sghetti

It feels like it's been about a month since the last time I worked out. Finals are over and I'm back on the boat.

Went all the way through with sets of 2, with the last set being a little sloppy.

2x4 Negative Adv Tuck Back Pulls

Finished with 10 Wall Extensions.

Beach with high school friends is only 10 days away, and I'm skinny as a starving dog. Will do the next WOD tomorrow and might add something in the evening :]