Hi guys
I have recently been in many in depth conversations with fellow therapists and physios to find out what methods they use to determine correct QL length.
A popular one (and my personal preference ) is being able to fit the first 3 knuckles in between your pelvis and 12th rib. For me, that is optimal length for being able to have enough side flexion to be able to get into positions like the 'straddle lat stretch' ( I made that up, it's prob called something else..!?!?
). This is where u sit in the widest straddle position you can get whilst side flexing, bringing your right arm over to grab your left foot, which the most effective lat and QL stretch I have experienced. Not only does this demonstrate optimal side flexion but also attributes to creating alot of rotational room in the torso aswell. Not to mention maintaining really good feeling and loose lats!!
This bloke does it at 4.28 - 4.45
I would be very interested in hearing everyones views on how they measure it......If they are interested in that sort of thing of course haha.
For me i always like templates and models to follow when it comes to mobility work and postural set up.
cheers