Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Interesting article about baking soda

Mats Trane

Colin Macdonald

I can't comment on the chemistry with too much detail, but some stuff in the article stands out as a bit odd. To suggest that acidic foods are bad but then say that apple cider vinegar and lemon juice don't count sounds like a blatantly naturalistic fallacy.

Digestion is an inherently acidic process. And from what I can see, the claims that the acidity of what you eat while actually affect your blood pH seems to be completely baseless.

It looks to me like it's a mix of  complete fallacies and accurate facts that give it a compelling sense of truth.

Here's a point by point criticism of the alkaline diet which seems pretty much in line with the general criticisms I can find:

http://chriskresser.com/the-ph-myth-part-1

You'll certainly have nice white teeth.  :)

I do use a baking soda paste for quite a few home remedies: athlete's foot/jock itch, splinters, mouth/tongue irritations, etc.  Useful stuff.

Nicholas Herreros

I know someone who claims they know someone who's used baking soda to beat cancer.

It supposedly lowers the PH balance in the body.  Supposedly cancer feeds off the higher PH balance?

I really dont know anything about it but it sure would be interesting to find out if anyone has tried this personally.

Colin Macdonald

I know someone who claims they know someone who's used baking soda to beat cancer.

It's apparently complete nonsense. It's an idea based on the fact that tumors thrive in acidic environments. But the pH of the body is irrelevant since it's the tumor itself that creates the acidity it requires.

• Upvote 1

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.