Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Scaffolding: Good or bad idea

Gavin Strelitz

Gavin Strelitz

Hey guys,

I am thinking of building a home gym from scaffolding for my Foundation work. Just generally, is this a good or bad idea?

It will be indoors so rust is not much of an issue.

Matthew Proulx

I looked into them last year, I tried some stuff at one of our construction sites and I can't imagine them being safe without being anchored.

Gavin Strelitz

I need to get my hands on some of them so I can see how stable they are when locked in.

• 4 weeks later...
Jacob Primeaux

My humble backyard gym is made of scaffolding and metal fence posts. The joints are all fixed right angle clamps. So far I haven't killed myself on it :)  Really I haven't even had any close calls. There's a little wobble, but nothing too scary.  You definitely want some way to stabilize them laterally.

• Upvote 1

Gavin Strelitz

Nice.

I have been doing some research but got a way to go yet.

Scaffolding is still an option.

• 3 weeks later...
ForzaCavaliere

How can they be wobbly? Don't they need to pass strict codes for safety when they're used for construction projects? I didn't know they were allowed to be wobbly.

If you look at this video

http://youtu.be/D0_azlVthfQ?t=2m51s

You can see he put some weight-plates on the base to stabilize it laterally. You could adapt it to your design somehow. But if you're thinking of a grand design, you're gonna need bigger plates!

• Upvote 1

Gavin Strelitz

Thanks. I am thinking of a grand design so I will go with something more solid. That rig will not work well to suspend rings off or perform multi plane work.