I really hate it when...

Started by HamdiC, April 2, 2014 · 52 Replies · 11,591 Views

Rob Kowalski
Jon Douglas said:

... people think Im incredibly strong because I can muscleup, simultaneously incredibly weak because I can't iron cross.

 

I can't do a muscleup yet, but whenever I mention anything relating to gymnastics people always ask if I can do an iron cross and then when I say no they look down on me or change the subject. 

Keilani Gutierrez
Rob Kowalski said:

I can't do a muscleup yet, but whenever I mention anything relating to gymnastics people always ask if I can do an iron cross and then when I say no they look down on me or change the subject. 

the struggle.

hype
Rob Kowalski said:

I can't do a muscleup yet, but whenever I mention anything relating to gymnastics people always ask if I can do an iron cross and then when I say no they look down on me or change the subject. 

Speaking of the Iron cross, in what volume can one expect to learn it? Ring one? 

Coach Sommer

Rings Three.

Note the 'Three'; as in first master R1, then master R2 and then begin R3.

It should be quite entertaining watching those people who mistakenly thought they were too advanced for R1 & R2 blow themselves up by attempting to go directly to R3 despite all my advice to the contrary. :)

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

vinni20

This thread is hilarious!! Keep them coming people. I have also been asked if i can do the iron cross, and when I tell them I can't they think I'm wasting my time.

hype
Coach Sommer said:

Rings Three.

Note the 'Three'; as in first master R1, then master R2 and then begin R3.

It should be quite entertaining watching those people who mistakenly thought they were too advanced for R1 & R2 blow themselves up by attempting to go directly to R3 despite all my advice to the contrary. :)

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Ohh I had that very wrong then haha! Thanks :) hope I'll get there one day, it's a life-time goal

Ronin168

i once told a guy that i do gymnastics, and he chuckled.  he didn't say anything, but i knew what he was thinking.  a lot of people think that gymnastics is just for girls=(

LateStarter@46

I get the same as Adriano, people not understanding how not using any machines or heavy weights and constantly face-planting into a mat gets you strong and toned :-)

Jon Douglas

I was training side lever pulls at the park the other day; a guy came up and asked me how much harder it was than a chin-up.

Just plain not sure what to say to that one.

 

I also got, 'What's the point of training 4-5 years for an iron cross when you can lift weights?'

Again, no real answer. I know plenty of people love it and that's cool, but there's no fulfillment for me in adding another kg to a bar.

 

 

I also have a pet theory-- planche. People, especially men, have a frame of reference for planches, because every guy has done pushups in PE class at school, or whatever. They can relate to it and regard it as impressive. A manna, despite being rarer and I think many, maybe most, people would say harder than planche, is just too alien to most peoples' sensibilities-- no frame of reference as to difficulty, and the angles of the elbows/shoulders often make it look more hyperextended/dangerous than it is.

 

'Any sufficiently advanced [skill] is indistinguishable from [hackz]' - Arthur C. Clarke.

thecolin
Coach Sommer said:

It should be quite entertaining watching those people who mistakenly thought they were too advanced for R1 & R2 blow themselves up by attempting to go directly to R3 despite all my advice to the contrary. :)

 

 

To be fair, they probably don't know how important those first steps are... because they probably skipped F1 as well.  :lol:

Bro'
Jon Douglas said:

'Any sufficiently advanced [skill] is indistinguishable from [hackz]' - Arthur C. Clarke.

 

This quote is pure gold.  :lol:

The Hansenator
Jon Douglas said:

 

A manna, despite being rarer and I think many, maybe most, people would say harder than planche, is just too alien to most peoples' sensibilities-- no frame of reference as to difficulty, and the angles of the elbows/shoulders often make it look more hyperextended/dangerous than it is.

I have a friend with a powerlifting background and I showed him a photo of a manna. His eyes kind of popped and he said "How is that even possible?"

NoHiddenCosts
The Hansenator said:

I have a friend with a powerlifting background and I showed him a photo of a manna. His eyes kind of popped and he said "How is that even possible?"

Come to think of it, even more so than the advanced ring positions, the Manna would probably be regarded the most in terms of party-tricks... 

katlinchen

I hate it when I do press handstands, pull-ups or leg lifts and people say "cool, but it is easy for you because you are just 115lbs"  :angry:

hype
katlinchen said:

I hate it when I do press handstands, pull-ups or leg lifts and people say "cool, but it is easy for you because you are just 115lbs" :angry:

I'm 110lbs, welcome in da club :P

thecolin
katlinchen said:

I hate it when I do press handstands, pull-ups or leg lifts and people say "cool, but it is easy for you because you are just 115lbs"  :angry:

 

I got more or less the same kind of response from my obese brother.

Bipocni
synchroGENized said:

You should learn the kipping version first - discussing L-sits

HAHAHA what!?

Bipocni

.....When people call me 'double jointed'

Bipocni
katlinchen said:

I hate it when I do press handstands, pull-ups or leg lifts and people say "cool, but it is easy for you because you are just 115lbs"  :angry:

Pretty sure I could do all that if I was 115lbs.  I'm more like, 190 over here.  So try strapping 80lb to yourself and see if you can still do a pullup.  :P

thecolin
Bipocni said:

So try strapping 80lb to yourself and see if you can still do a pullup.  :P

 

Of fat or muscle?

Bipocni
thecolin said:

Of fat or muscle?

I'd put myself around 25-30% bodyfat.

thecolin
Bipocni said:

I'd put myself around 25-30% bodyfat.

 

Apologies, I wasn't referring to you specifically. My point was really that body composition counts. If you add 80 lbs of functional muscle, it's way different than 80 lbs of dead weight.

 

There are tons of light weight people who can't even come close to what katlinchen can do. And to say it easy just because of bodyweight is a total disservice to the amount of hard work it takes to do those moves properly. Body composition and proportions are a factor, but without the work they remain impossible.

Bipocni
thecolin said:

And to say it easy just because of bodyweight is a total disservice to the amount of hard work it takes to do those moves properly.

Sorry, that wasn't my intention.

 

I didn't mean to be snide...

thecolin
Bipocni said:

Sorry, that wasn't my intention.

 

I didn't mean to be snide...

 

Group hug!  :)

EDM

I hate when people at the gym tell me "are you cleaning the floor with your feet?" because I'm the only one walking around the gym without shoes....