I really hate it when...

Started by HamdiC, April 2, 2014 · 52 Replies · 11,591 Views

HamdiC

... I try to describe to people what GST is, and they say "Oh, it's basically yoga".

Cory Fair

...I get asked at a gym why my rings don't have foam handles  :facepalm:

RJS

Time to get some new friends people

The Hansenator
HamdiC said:

... I try to describe to people what GST is, and they say "Oh, it's basically yoga".

I tell people it's gynastics based strength training and no one has mentioned yoga to me yet.

Cody
The Hansenator said:

I tell people it's gynastics based strength training and no one has mentioned yoga to me yet.

YOU MEAN IT'S LIKE CROSSFIT?!?!
thecolin

I've never heard it compared to yoga, but I've been told "That's just proportional strength"  :facepalm:

thenail001

... as soon as you say "gymnastics", people write it off as impossible and assume you were born with some miraculous genetic ability.

Keilani Gutierrez

people see what little I post on Facebook and then message me on FB asking me why i do it, since it hurts so much(think wrist pushups, overgrip and especially recently, undergrip dislocates).  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:

 

since then, I keep what I do to myself and only share when I'm in person, be it theory and/or presentation. 

Coach Sommer

They say these things now because you are not yet advanced in terms of GST. Once you are far more jacked then they are, the foolish comments tend to fade away.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Ronin168

i told one girl at work that i do gymnastics.

 

she laughed and made a comment about how i play with ribbons=(

B1214N
Ronin168 said:

i told one girl at work that i do gymnastics.

 

she laughed and made a comment about how i play with ribbons=(

She must be referring to rhythmic gymnastics. 

 

Do you only do GST or are you actually doing gymnastics?

Ronin168

i was doing a lot of gymnastics at the time.

 

but then i started F1 three months ago.  and now, i've been doing mainly GST and apart from some handbalancing, i've been doing very little actual gymnastics.  i just go to open gyms now and don't go to gymnastic classes anymore.

Bro'

I tend to just say 'I workout' or maybe I'd say I do strength training and then mention it's bodyweight stuff. Though, I can't blame people in France for not understanding what GST stands for.  :lol:

meras

Same here, I just say "bodyweight stuff, like pushups and pullups"

The most annoying thing I get told when training though is "you're strong and flexible because you have good genes" .. no dammn it, it's because I train when you sit on the couch and talk to other people.

Jon Douglas

... people think Im incredibly strong because I can muscleup, simultaneously incredibly weak because I can't iron cross.

Handbalancer

Me and another circus guy were teaching balancing at a crossfit gym. We were going through how to do full rom handsand pushups. How its supposed to be done without a wall, all the way down and no kip. One guy who likes to kip saya, "Okay I get it, but what if you have to do 19 of them?"

 

My friend answers blatantly: "Well then you must be very strong." That shut him up.

Ravn

The solution is to live and train in an underground bunker and not re-emerge until you have completed F4. Or, alternatively, not care what other people think.

Adriano Augusto
Coach Sommer said:

They say these things now because you are not yet advanced in terms of GST. Once you are far more jacked then they are, the foolish comments tend to fade away.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

This is completely right. I remember when I started to do bodyweight stuff at the gym, 2 years ago... a lot of pullups, dips, etc, street workout style. People looked at me so weird, like "wtf are you doing?". When I started to do Foundation workouts and since then, people respect me more than ever, because THEY KNOW that I'm more ripped, strong, mobile an flexible with my "weird" training. They still don't understand how I can be more ripped without lifting weights. Because of that, they don't tell me nothing, just eyes of envy, respect, admiration, etc. And the funny thing is that I'm not even a beginner in terms of real GST.

 

I don't really care what they think about me, but our ACTIONS are definitely more powerful than our words.

synchroGENized

You can't limit yourself just because other people have a skewed perception of the world.  I'd suggest just smiling and imagining that you don't speak their language - in reality maybe you don't if they live in a world of couldn't shouldn't woulnd't-cuz-thats-stuuupid.

 

My favorites from 2013-2014:

 

You can't run, you're a woman and your uterus isn't capable of withstanding that - health insurance doctor

You can't do that (pull-ups, skin the cat) on the monkey bars, small children will see you and get hurt imitating - security guard

You shouldn't let your (competitive) athletes use more than 20lbs of weight or they'll get bulky (deadlifts) - gym director

You should learn the kipping version first - discussing L-sits

You should use theraband instead, its safer - training handstands

It's genetic, either you can or you can't - arched body rocks

You should only train anything 4 moths out of the year, its called periodization

I've got a better version of that (proceeds to explain bench press when I'm working push-ups)

All that (F1) is great but you'll never get stronger that way

Prometheus
synchroGENized said:

You can't limit yourself just because other people have a skewed perception of the world.  I'd suggest just smiling and imagining that you don't speak their language - in reality maybe you don't if they live in a world of couldn't shouldn't woulnd't-cuz-thats-stuuupid.

 

My favorites from 2013-2014:

 

You can't run, you're a woman and your uterus isn't capable of withstanding that - health insurance doctor

You can't do that (pull-ups, skin the cat) on the monkey bars, small children will see you and get hurt imitating - security guard

You shouldn't let your (competitive) athletes use more than 20lbs of weight or they'll get bulky (deadlifts) - gym director

You should learn the kipping version first - discussing L-sits

You should use theraband instead, its safer - training handstands

It's genetic, either you can or you can't - arched body rocks

You should only train anything 4 moths out of the year, its called periodization

I've got a better version of that (proceeds to explain bench press when I'm working push-ups)

All that (F1) is great but you'll never get stronger that way

Wait, did you experience ALL of those!?

Bro'
synchroGENized said:

 

You can't run, you're a woman and your uterus isn't capable of withstanding that - health insurance doctor

:mellow:

They're all stupid, but this one... My second favorite is the kipping L-sit.  :lol:

ForzaCavaliere

In Australia GST means "Goods and Services Tax" $$$.

dasede
synchroGENized said:

All that (F1) is great but you'll never get stronger that way

Yep. I have heard this many times. F1 apparently doesn't build muscle either.

 

I had some good laughs reading this thread. More please! :D

Jon Douglas

Wow, GEN. Got me beat! :)

Leo Trinidad

still the best comment i got so far is.. "did you take steroids?"  :facepalm: 

or "what are you preparing for? a competition or something?"   .......uhhmmm no. im preparing for LIFE..  :)