Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Few questions about the foundations

hype

Hi guys,
So I'm currently looking for my summer job, and hopefully i'll be able to afford the starter pack during summer.

But I have a few questions regarding some of the equipment required in the fondation series (mabey not f1, but later in f3-f4).

For the rope, I don't have access to any rope and can't find a gymnastic gym in my area... Can the rope be replaces by a pole? Like a thin pole easy to grip (I've seen guys climb the pole the same way gymnasts climb a rope). Or is the rope absolutely required for some exercices?

Secondly, I don't have access to a pommel horse (not sure how to spell it lol ), do you have any suggestions for an alternative? I would guess a bench but it wouldn't be high enough ...

Finally, these are not rly related to foundation, but I've read somewhere that the back lever is the easiest of the moves (easier than Planche and FL).. Does that mean that if I learnthe FL and PL, I'd be able to BL? Or does it need to be trained also seperately? I'm currently doing my own program which is similar to the killroy template, and I feel that training BL, FL, and PL at the sMe time puts too much pressure on my elbows, even tough I'm young and exercise a lot... So I'm guessing I should do FL and PL like in foundation and no BL? Or should I do the BL first since it's easier? In what order should these skills be learned?

Hope I didn't do too many spelling mistakes here lol..

Thanks!

Merunas Astrauskas

You won't need the rope until very late into the course. You will absolutely need rings though.

You don't need a pommel horse, you will need a bench most likely. Make sure you have access to stall bars.

BL progressions start in the rings course which has a prerequisite of the whole foundation course so I don't think it's easier than PL or FL.

Joshua Slocum

The back lever is easier than the sPL or FL in terms of muscular strength required. However, as you've discovered, it's more taxing on the elbows. For this reason, dedicated back lever work doesn't show up until the rings series. However, you'll most likely be able to lower into a momentary back lever long before then, since you'll be developing the requisite muscular strength in Foundation. 

As meras said, you won't need a rope for a while, and none of the exercises require a pommel horse - generally a bench or sturdy table is sufficient. With a little ingenuity you'll find most of the gymnastics equipment used in the Foundation videos is easily substituted for other objects. 

• Upvote 2

Ohh I see!

But a bench wouldn't be high enough would it? Cause if the exercices are similar to BtGB, then it needs to be relatively high for your legs to totally hang freely...

And a stall bar is required? :o cause I checked today and my school removed them -.- stupid college xd

And for the rope, yeah it probably comes only in f4 but when I'll be there (in a long time lol), will a pole work instead of a rope? Cause there's absolutely no rope here...

Thanks, can't wait to see what the famous fondations everyone is talking about look like!

Oh and another question (i ask a lot of questions lol ): foundations look amazing for skill development and strength... But my concern is also in the looks... Will foundation build that athletic and good looking body that gymnasts usually have?

Mikkel Ravn

Oh and another question (i ask a lot of questions lol ): foundations look amazing for skill development and strength... But my concern is also in the looks... Will foundation build that athletic and good looking body that gymnasts usually have?

Yes, provided that you eat enough of the right things (not too much) and get adequate rest. Come on, how do you think a person will look, after being able to do mastery of the seven elements?

Don't expect to look like a dedicated bodybuilder monster, though. That, by the way, is a good thing :)

Ahahaah I don't like the bodybuilder look anyways.. I'd rather be small but ripped than huge with no mastery of my own bodyweight..

And I'll probably add some compounds like bench press / dead lifts after my foundation work anyways :)

Joshua Slocum

Ahahaah I don't like the bodybuilder look anyways.. I'd rather be small but ripped than huge with no mastery of my own bodyweight..

And I'll probably add some compounds like bench press / dead lifts after my foundation work anyways :)

For the most part, you'll find additional upper body strength work to be counter-productive, so I'd advise against doing much benching. Several forum members have said they're experiences success combining Foundation with weighted squats and deadlifts, though. 

• Upvote 1

Hmm okok, my priority is mastering the basics anyways.

As for the rope, no one answered, but can it be replace by a pole??

Joshua Slocum

Hmm okok, my priority is mastering the basics anyways.

As for the rope, no one answered, but can it be replace by a pole??

Probably not, but it'll most likely take a year or two before you're at the point where you need a rope, so I'd worry about that when you get there. 

Connor Davies

Yeah you can't replace the rope with a pole because one of the most fantastic things about the rope is it doesn't remain in a fixed position. Without getting to in depth, training constantly at fixed joint angles can mess you up, but since the rope is free to move in 3d space it allows you to strengthen your joints in a more natural, holistic way.

Hmm alright, I think I know what you mean... Do you know where a rope can be usually found, except in gymnastic gyms?

Connor Davies

Hmm alright, I think I know what you mean... Do you know where a rope can be usually found, except in gymnastic gyms?

Buy one?  IDK, the mooring ropes they tie ships up with?

Gymnastics gyms aren't that hard to find.  I found one fairly close to me that does adult classes for 4 quid a pop.  The instruction is pretty terrible because they kinda just let you lose to do your own thing, but the equipment is good.

Crossfit gyms will have them as well.

• 2 weeks later...
Scott Pelton-Stroud

Also, for some of the short-distance rope work in Foundation, I'm guessing one could tie a couple towels together & sling them over a (preferably high-up) pullup bar...

Bill Köhntopp

Also, for some of the short-distance rope work in Foundation, I'm guessing one could tie a couple towels together & sling them over a (preferably high-up) pullup bar...

sounds like training for breaking out of jail :D

Sailor Venus

Gymnastics gyms aren't that hard to find.  I found one fairly close to me that does adult classes for 4 quid a pop.  The instruction is pretty terrible because they kinda just let you lose to do your own thing, but the equipment is good.

Most adult gymnastics classes are do-what-you-want clasess and aren't good. Try gymnastic clubs within universities. They are adult classes that are actually taught rather than let you run around anywhere. Obviously bear in mind the classes are full of uni students. Start searching for universites near you and see if they got a gymnastics club in their sports society. Thats what I done.