Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Technical proficiency or stability?

gymrob

Hi all,

After I complete my first steady state cycle I am going to place handstand training in my training. I consider myself to be reasonably good at them (a good base to work from) but there is A LOT that I can improve on.

Quite simply my question is: At the beginning stages is it best to focus on technical proficiency (perfect repetitions and I'm guessing should be done at the beginning of the workout where it recieves most benefit and you are fresh) or stability/ extended times held? I'm sure both are important but is one more significant than the other in particular stages of an athletes development? Are both aspects trained simulaneously (half max time isn't going near failure) or seperately?

Thanks!

Chris H Laing

I'm interested in this as well. I find that when I do old style arched handstands, I can hold it for 10-15 sec pretty consistently, but when I try to straighten up and do a new style handstand, I'm only up there for a sec or two, and I dont feel very in control at all.

I've been trying to increase my stability using the arched handstand, because i figure once I'm comfy enough on my hands that i can stay up for a minute or longer, I'll be able to start playing with different body positions and then start working on hollowing out my handstand.

I'm no expert but from what I've read you should always practice proper form right from the start , practising something with incorrect form will just re-emphasise to your brain that that is the way to do it, especially if your brain and body are just becoming familiar with the movement.

Coach Sommer
from what I've read you should always practice proper form right from the start

The above quote is absolutely correct. Striving for technical proficiency ALWAYS comes first. Practicing poor mechanics will lead to bad habits which, once ingrained, are very difficult to break.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Chris H Laing
I told you to fix it up Chris. :P

Now you have your definitive word from Coach Sommer!

Fair enough Steve.

I guess its back to wall handstands...sob