Scapula position during overhead squats.

Started by Bipocni, March 4, 2014 · 3 Replies · 1,977 Views

Bipocni

Okay, so I know this isn't really a barbell training forum but I don't know where else I could post this question that people would automatically know what I'm talking about.

 

In the overhead squat, should my shoulders be in straight flexion like a handstand, or should they be rotated like the beginning of a dislocate?

Alan Tseng

Straight flexion.  Btw this is glenohumeral joint position rather than scapula position.  Scapula position would be upward rotation and elevation

Jukkaboy

It really depends who you ask I've experienced. The russians weightlifters teach it one way, the chinese another and the american Kelly Starett says in his book, not to elevate the scapula, but to externally rotate your arms to acheive stability (russians do NOT agree with this). 

Kage

Read Everett's book on olympic weightlifting, it's good.