This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Finally conquered Swivel Hip

Started by Alan Tseng, February 25, 2014 · 104 Replies · 20,941 Views

MvdB

Another option is to swivel to the end position (one glute will lift), and then push your knees into the floor while allowing your 'floating' glute to sink back towards the floor (can be done actively or passively). Pushing the (sides of) the knees into the floor provides a fulcrum and prevents torsional stress on the knees as well. I like it.

Alessandro Pantanella
Michaël van den Berg said:

Another option is to swivel to the end position (one glute will lift), and then push your knees into the floor while allowing your 'floating' glute to sink back towards the floor (can be done actively or passively). Pushing the (sides of) the knees into the floor provides a fulcrum and prevents torsional stress on the knees as well. I like it.

Today I've experimented with this and I can feel and see that it was pretty effective.

Craig Downey

I'm missing internal rotation in my right leg. I'll have to get to the bottom of that. 

Keilani Gutierrez
Craig Downey said:

I'm missing internal rotation in my right leg. I'll have to get to the bottom of that.

i see what you did there. :D
Rob Rowland

Does anyone else feel like there's bone grinding/rubbing against each other when attempting to go full ROM with both sits bones touching the floor?

Alessandro Pantanella

I do feel it in my joints both hip and knee but is not a grinding sensation I just feel I can't stretch over that point and feel pressure in the joints.

Is that what you mean?

Andre

Swivel hips FTW

 

agy9xWx_460sa.gif

Damon Amato

Just curious, but I'm at week 3 and I can easily do 5x15 scapular shrugs but am a very long way to go being able to master swivel hips.  Am I supposed to stay with the coupled exercises until both are mastered or should I move on to the next straddle planche exercise?

Keegan

Both the PE and iM pair must be mastered before moving onto the next PE and iM pair. The course instructions state this very clearly.

Rafa

Gold sir, gold. Three thumbs up!!

obc

I think it would take me years to master swivel hips. I'm not kidding - my hips mobility is that frozen.

 

I'm here for the long term improvements of the program and do plan to consistently improve by working hard. I already see amazing results which I am nothing but awed by.

 

But is it really for the best to keep doing scapular shrugs for years while working on swivel hips and nothing else? what do you think guys?

 

Thanks!

Alessandro Pantanella

I'm spicing it up with elastic bands. Someone is doing 2 second holds at the top and the bottom of the ROM.

You could try that but if we are really talking about years here... Not sure.

If you do specific stretching, massages and mobility as previously discussed in this topic I'm sure you'll speed up the process big times.

Alhumbraer

I've been on this IM for 12 Months !! I've started stretching for 1-1.5 hours every single day, because my flexibility is holding me back big time, it has helped me tremendously, I can get my knee on the ground but my lateral aspect of the glutes come off the ground slightly, I'm not moving till it is mastered !

Haplix

Alhumbraer, which stretches have helped the most for you?

Alhumbraer

That is hard to say, I can't attribute it to any one stretch, I did not start making progress in the IM until I started stretching aggressively, but a good one is the weighted version of the IM, you can put your opposite leg over your thigh and use the weight to assist the stretch, just be conscious of the pressure on the medial aspect of the knee.

 

I can come back with a better answer once I master this, I've been doing Scap Shrugs for 1 year now, I am incredibly bored with that exercise !  :D

Sascha Ringel

Hello Craig,

could you explain more how you did it? I watched the video but have no good idea how to apply it. I guess you did the side-plank mobilization? How often, how long to hold, how many repetitions? What were focus points, how long did it take to see results?

 

Thank you very much, I'm quite interested in that topic.

 

Kind regards, Sascha

 

Craig Downey said:

 

 

This one tip has helped me more that anything. 

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/stretching_doesnt_work

 

Watch the first video of the seminar. 

Craig Downey

I do the side plank mobilization in my warmup before every workout. I do 1-2 sets (per side, or just on your stiff side) of 20 sec each. I saw instant results after my first plank like on the video, but I also see accumulative results since I started a few weeks ago. 

It helps a lot with my swivel hips and other things like squats. I focus on squeezing my butt, and extending the hip flexor on the low side. Remember to test before, then retest after to see if it works for you. 

Keilani Gutierrez

ugh. 

 

keep me honest, guys. thoughts on form? #angst

 

post-3648-0-09312800-1408817780_thumb.jp

post-3648-0-35475100-1408817801_thumb.jp

 

 

Alan Tseng
Keilani Gutierrez said:

ugh.

keep me honest, guys. thoughts on form? #angst

DSC_0174.JPG

DSC_0175.JPG

Can you take a side picture where the back can be seen

Keilani Gutierrez

my hips are at 90 degrees, same as my legs

Alan Tseng

I'm not interested in the hips or lower leg :).

I'm more interested in the back

Keilani Gutierrez

upper back? im pretty much sitting as upright as i can, while still leaning at the lower back a bit to the side im moving my legs