This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Finally conquered Swivel Hip

Started by Alan Tseng, February 25, 2014 · 104 Replies · 20,941 Views

Ken Rogan

Daniel, the expression 'charged' captures it perfectly. 

I miss the gym, I've lost a lot of muscle off the biceps and my chest is getting mooby (I'm 38), but I'm sticking with it. Based on what I read in this and other posts, I'll be doing swivel hips for 6+ months. Looking forward to the day where some muscle starts to come back!

John Enyeart

I just recently started Foundation One (I had already been doing the stretch series for a little over a month), and I was surprised to find that I have TERRIBLE internal rotation with my left hip.

12 years ago, I broke my left hip at the ripe old age of 22. I was doing a round-off back handspring back tuck on a hardwood floor and ended up bailing out on the back tuck midway through because I thought I was going to crash into somebody. The problem is, you can't really bail on a back tuck after you've already started it. So, I ended up coming down and landing squarely on my hip. (Ironically, the thing I felt most immediately and prominently was embarrassment--not pain.) :lol:

Anyway, ever since then, it has been a long road to regaining mobility in my left hip, but I felt that it had loosened up quite a bit. The flexibility on the left has always lagged compared to the right, but I was making good progress on the middle split series and I even felt that my flexibility on my left side was significantly better than pretty much anybody I know (other than dancers and such)... until I tried swivel hips! I started with external rotation on the left and internal on the right: okay, no problem. Then I switched to internal rotation on the left and external on the right, and my left leg was barely able to move an inch inward. So... it looks like it's going to be another long road forward from here, but thanks to all the advice in this thread, I'll hopefully be able to traverse that road a little bit faster.

Thanks a lot guys!

Alessandro Mainente

Hi John I'm sorry about that, feel free to ask suggestions to a physio the specific movement of the swivel hips and see if you have to do adjustments in case of limited range of motion due to your situation.

Randeep Walia

Revisiting an old thread: I don't understand why the hero pose is a good position for developing internal rotation. Can someone explain?

Miguel Perez
On 8/20/2014 at 6:58 AM, Craig Downey said:

Those are some great tips. Gotta love Kelly.

 

This one tip has helped me more that anything. 

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/stretching_doesnt_work

 

Watch the first video of the seminar. 

So the swivel hips have been giving me problems for long before I found GST. I made some improvements, but always had problem with outside knee pain on either side. I just tried this for three sets and tested it. I can touch the ground on both sides pain free. That is absolutely ridiculous, and I just wanted to say thank you.

- Miguel