This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

PE1>im and PE2+im form check

Started by Richard Sassoon, February 23, 2014 · 20 Replies · 610 Views

Richard Sassoon

I thought I had mastery on PE1>iM, but after looking at myself perfoming it I noticed I'm still not flexible enough on my shoulders...

 

PE1iM

I'm working on it during my WU and other days with no HS work (3kg)

 

 

With the PE2 I think I'm good, while the iM is almost parallel, so I have some work to do still (using 1.5kg)

 

Any pointers to improve the iM's at least?

 

Cheers!

Adriano Augusto

iM1: You're on track, definitely. But you've to lean more while having straight back. But again, you're good ;)

 

iM2: Looks good. Try not moving around the head and stay tight. 

 

PE2: Good too. But put the elbows in, don't flare out. 

 

:D

 

Good music ;)

 

Keep going!

TANSTAAFL

I'd try to widen the grip on both PE's a little to get some more ROM. Also from the side vid it's hard to tell how far apart you are but I originally didn't realize how far apart mastery really is. I was going too narrow, and it was a pleasant find :).

Richard Sassoon

Thanks Adriano!

I've been having a hard time leaning more forward while keeping a straight back on the iM1, I start ok but then my back begins to arch. I will probably add a few more sessions of those during the week to improve it :)

 

I was mostly moving my head during iM2 to check how parallel I was, but it does seem that I move my head a bit forward to try to achieve more rom hahaha

 

Good tip on the elbows! funny how I didn't catch that... :huh:

 

Ah, cool that you liked the music, it helps my focus :D

 

-------------------------------------------

 

Thanks for the input TANSTAAFL!

I try to copy the same width as the course video. For the iM1 I start with my hands on my knees and then up, maybe I'm sitting too narrow? For the iM2 I start with my hands just to the sides, so shoulder witdh.. should I still go a bit wider then?

Richard Sassoon

Well, I just saw here and here, older posts from Adriano and Jon where they confirm that mastery for non-dislocates is supposed to be shoulder width actually... So I will aim for that.

TANSTAAFL
Richard Sassoon said:

Well, I just saw here and here, older posts from Adriano and Jon where they confirm that mastery for non-dislocates is supposed to be shoulder width actually... So I will aim for that.

Good find. I've defintely read those before, but somehow I've been under the impression it's shoulder width plus a fist for all. Regardless, I was mentioning widenening a little 'cause you seem to loose your ROM, especially on PE2 iM. Most around here advise going to whatever width you can get full ROM, staying there until pefect, then adjusting closer by the molecule :).

Richard Sassoon

I tried yesterday without weights, wider grip, and all that, but it didn't seem to increase my ROM actually... it seems I just have to be patient with those.

TANSTAAFL

Yeah, you might just be tight in a certain area. Messing with the weights/grip won't have much effect if you've got a really messed up spot. Just speculating, but some self release around the pecs, shoulders, etc. might do something for ya. Also make sure your thoroughly warmed up.

Richard Sassoon

 

 

some self release around the pecs, shoulders

Thanks, I will look into it. I have read that a lot of people use a lacrosse ball for such. I have to get myself one of those :)

Do you happen to know of any good resources about lacrosse ball self release? I will look for it anyway, but if you have had success with something, it would be great to know.

TANSTAAFL

Best book is probably The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook...lots of pictures and covers all areas of the body. Youtube will probably churn out a lot as well. The main thing is just to go light at first, a tennis ball against the wall might be enough. The lacrosse ball is usually for deeper muscles and harder knots/adhesions.

 

That said, you can use the lacrosse ball for anything, just go lighter. The tennis ball would be so you really can't go too hard as it gives a little.

Richard Sassoon

Thanks man!

I will look into it and get myself a lacrosse ball and a tennis ball just to be safe hehe :)

Good that there is a kindle version of this book, I will probably get everything later today!

Gray

Hey Richard, I'll use your thread to ask other for an opinion on my iM PE1. I have a huge problem. I've recorded myself for the first time and it looks like my form is good but... one of the shoulders is lacking mobility. I don't know which one. Just see the movie, and you'll see that one of them is on the other place than other and the stick is not in the horizontal plane.

 

 

 

What should i do? I should change my movement pattern i think ;/

J.R.E

It looks like you left shoulder is higher than the right. I dont know which one is lacking. What i've read in the forum is we need to lift the bar above head, push taller in the shoulders before starting to lean forward and pull back. Another thing to the wrists are supposed to be cocked or flexed not straight up, this was confirmed in another post by coach sommers. I hope that helps, I hope you can solve it.

Gray

Thank you! Great information, I'll work on that :)

Richard Sassoon

Good that this thread helps others :)

 

Time for me to ask for more feedback on my PE1iM and PE2iM (here's a back view). I have been using trigger point release on my pecs and foam rolling my lats, and I think it helped a bit with my form. Any comments? Thanks gain TANSTAAFL for the ideas. I got that book you recommended and it's really full of good info. I wiill use it also to help with my other problem areas such as sPLPE1>iM.

TANSTAAFL

PE2 looks pretty spot on. PE1, to me, looks like it needs more ROM in the shoulders...i.e. arms pulled back more above head. Can't check the demo vid right now, but pretty sure it's more straight up and down. So you want to push up as J.R.E. said, as in a HS position, then you want to pull back over the head w/out internal rotation.

 

I would widen the grip and see if that takes ya where you need to be.

Hardy Evans

Sorry to piggy back here, but I didn't want to start a new thread. What's mastery rom for pe1/im? I understand the width should be shoulder width, but how far back should we be able to bring the bar? Thanks!

TANSTAAFL
Hardy Evans said:

Sorry to piggy back here, but I didn't want to start a new thread. What's mastery rom for pe1/im? I understand the width should be shoulder width, but how far back should we be able to bring the bar? Thanks!

From my view of the demo video, it's a little under parallel (to the wall)/i.e arms straight up. Not sure about official mastery as I imagine the more lean you get, the less to parallel you will get. From the demo though, you definitely need to be pulling past just in line with the back.

Hardy Evans
TANSTAAFL said:

From my view of the demo video, it's a little under parallel (to the wall)/i.e arms straight up. Not sure about official mastery as I imagine the more lean you get, the less to parallel you will get. From the demo though, you definitely need to be pulling past just in line with the back.

That makes sense, thanks. Additionally, am I changing anything if I use a belt pulled nice and taut with a weight run through it? I wouldn't think so, but I just wanted to make sure that I'm not losing anything if I don't use a rigid bar.

TANSTAAFL

Use a bar. There are a lot of angles the belt will let you have that a bar will not. Also it will force you to pull it taught which may or may not take away from using 100% proper musculature. A lot of us just use a broom stick with a weight over the middle...either a mini plate or literally crap duct taped onto it :). You can also use PVC, just make sure it doesn't flex much. 

Richard Sassoon

Thanks again man! Really great cues. I tried yesterday to pull my arms further and further up and I could go more than before. I guess I was not trying hard enough. There is hope for me :)

 

I'm glad to hear I reached a good ROM on im2. It was with 1.5kg and people keep saying to increase little by little and keep working on strengthening that new ROM.. so do you think it would be ok to move forward to PE3 while still improving im1, and incresing the weight on im2?

 

 

Hardy Evans said:

Sorry to piggy back here, but I didn't want to start a new thread. What's mastery rom for pe1/im? I understand the width should be shoulder width, but how far back should we be able to bring the bar? Thanks!

That's great. The more the merrier :)