Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

3 Finger Mens Ring Grips?

Richard Duelley

Richard Duelley

I was just randomly searching around today and I found an interesting picture of Chen Tibing on the rings at the Olympics. I was under the impression that all ring grips had 2 finger holes but it looks like he is using a pair with 3 finger holes. Has anyone noticed this? Is it just athlete preference? :?:

Here is the picture:

http://www.life.com/image/82228756

I could see if you need the extra security if you're doing giants or whatnot. But it makes it harder to release the bar perhaps?

I dunno... I don't think it really matters that much.

Coach Sommer

Interesting point. On high bar using a 3 finger grip is substantially superior to swinging with a 2 finger; the 3 finger grip allows for a very light "grip" on the bar with the athlete's weight essentially supported by the dowel on the tips of the fingers and the buckles on the wrist. On high bar, if the grips are being used correctly, the palm of the hand should have minimal contact with the bar and the athlete will slip freely around the bar with little to no friction 8).

This is however the first time I have seen a 3 finger grip used on Rings. I am not sure if this is peculiar to Chen Yibing, or if the other Chinese are using the 3 finger grips on rings also. Notice that the length of his grip is slid all the way to the side of his hand, my assumption here is that he may be using this to increase the torque of his grip on the rings.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Coach Sommer

You should NEVER use ring grips on high bar for any reason.

Ring grips are much longer than high bar grips and using ring grips on high bar substantially increases the risk of "grip lock". Grip lock is where the leather rolls under itself and the grip will "lock" to the bar. The problem here is that even though the grip has ceased moving, the body has NOT. The end result is usually a sore wrist at best and a severely broken wrist at worst.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Richard Duelley

Well, right after I posted this my personal ring grips came in via UPS Man and I spent just about all of my training time today messing with them! (I still did my basic strength and handstand work as well as a bit of ring strength before I put the grips on) :mrgreen: In my basic strength workout I had front lever pulls (I do these on the rings) and Bulgarian ring dips and I did these with my grips on just to help break them in and get some addition time in the grips themselves. I also did a lot of swinging and all I have to say is swinging is a whole new ball game compared to ring strength and man am I SORE from it. 8) I havent really been swinging that much because a few months ago I peeled off the rings while aggressively swinging without grips and it was not fun, but with the grips I felt rock solid and my hands were not nearly as fatigued as they usually are after my workout, swinging or not! My wrists did take a beating though, I am not used to the grips around my wrist at all! :shock:

I also could do a muscle up with the grips on which was a little more difficult than with out but not as bad as some people have made it out to be. . . you just cant rely so much on a deep false grip. I was a little hesitant to roll forward back to support because the grips still felt a bit awkward while I was on top of the rings but I think I will get used to it in a week or so, after they are broken in more.

Ok, about the 3 finger grips, I kind of thought I was loosing my mind about the number of fingers. :mrgreen:

I just had a ton of fun at practice today messing with my new grips! 8)

Coach Sommer

Performed correctly, swinging on the rings is an outstanding conditioning element which quite literally cannot be duplicated with any other movement. The following essay will help you to make a productive start at incorporating rings swings into your workouts

The key is to begin with very small swings that gradually increase in height and power during the duration of the turn. At the first sign of jerking through the bottom, a symptom of attempting to swing higher than you are technically prepared for, terminate the turn. For raw beginners, I prefer for them to begin ring swings utilizing straps on the rings to secure their grip. Once you are comfortable with the basic swing mechanics, then is the time to switch over to ring grips.

image019.jpg

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Richard Duelley

This gets a SUPER thanks Coach! :mrgreen: I have no idea how I missed that post!

And one more thing about mixing the grips for high bar or rings is, that with mixing you destroy curve on a grips, grip is bad and grips can snap sooner (made this mistake to strech them on a high bar-never again).

Interesting, I came across Tom Meadows using straps on rings a few years ago but have yet to try it myself or with my athletes. Hmm...things to do.