Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Lentils.

Connor Davies

Srini Duggirala

A miracle fat-loss product that also causes muscle growth with gosh-darn sciernfic studies AND personal claims that it is incredible to boot? Who would have thunk it it was possible?

Are you being sarcastic? Because I don't get it. There is no product here that anyone is trying to sell.

Srini Duggirala

A miracle fat-loss product that also causes muscle growth with gosh-darn sciernfic studies AND personal claims that it is incredible to boot? Who would have thunk it it was possible?

BTW, That was only one study of the 1000's in the last 70 years. The precise reason you haven't heard about then is because there IS no money to be made in this RS business. Strike that...there is for smart people like Dr. Peter Attia. Go and read what he promotes heavily in his sports nutrition. Then go and do your own research to find out what is in his $3 per serving super supplement.

And there is absolutely no need to flame me. I am only a sharing a few ways to increase the nutrients in the food that you may ALREADY be eating.

If you don't like what you are reading here, GFY!

• Upvote 1

Jennifer Rodriguez

On another note, I prefer Lentils du Puy to other varieties, but can only find them in fancy schmancy shops around here.

Frankincensed

BTW, That was only one study of the 1000's in the last 70 years. The precise reason you haven't heard about then is because there IS no money to be made in this RS business. Strike that...there is for smart people like Dr. Peter Attia. Go and read what he promotes heavily in his sports nutrition. Then go and do your own research to find out what is in his $3 per serving super supplement.

And there is absolutely no need to flame me. I am only a sharing a few ways to increase the nutrients in the food that you may ALREADY be eating.

If you don't like what you are reading here, GFY!

There is no study of nutraceuticals without a product. I'm not calling you out but bringing this out.

It's not a miracle or unique though and not unlike fibre, sugar alcs or oglioacharides in promoting intestinal bioflora.

And this can be addressed through diet without supplementation.

Also a use of a curse acronym is still cursing, though I suppose you could have meant go feed yourself!  But we know you didn't.

Joshua Naterman

Guys, let's stay focused on nutrition.

RS is nice, and is one of the best parts of eating lots of roots: You cook them, cool them down, and then eat them later on. You are automatically getting a ton of resistant starch. You are also getting a ton of inulin-type fibers, which are very good for your gut bacteria as well. They get fermented into short chain fatty acids like propionate and butyrate as well. 

I am not totally sure that either does anything for lean mass directly, but when you are losing fat mass you now have extra energy available for lean tissue maintenance, so maybe there is something there. There are also a number of other factors that might need to be factored in, like microRNA content, but I think the basic takeaway of "slow cook your food, cool it down, and eat it later on" is not only incredibly healthy but also incredibly convenient.

This is all good research to read, if for no other reason than that you will start learning more of the truth regarding why your sources of carbohydrates do matter, and that THIS is where many people need to make changes... not by cutting carbs, but by switching their packaged food out for sources that are actually good for them.

T-Nat: I hear you on the par-boiled rice. I'm not the biggest fan of it, but you're definitely right about not needing to soak it :)

Also, you want to be careful about keeping water that you blanche or cook veggies with. Many times it's not a bad thing, and done correctly makes for a very healthy broth component, but be aware that if you are boiling foods with phytates or oxalates that they WILL be present in the water. You will want to swap that water. So if you soak brown rice, replace the soak water with fresh water before you cook it. Same goes with greens, brassicas (like broccoli), and other high oxalate foods : If you blanche them in water, don't intentionally drink that water. Swap it out. 

An example of this is cooking Collard Greens. Most people don't blanche them first and then cook them with other "fixin's" (as we say in the south) and that causes them to have a weird taste that most don't like. If you just thrown the chopped greens in boiling water for a minute and then cook them in a pan with fresh water and your "fixin's" you will have an incredibly delicious treat. 

If, on the other hand, you do what most do and just throw freshly rinsed collards into a pan with chopped bacon you will not get anywhere near as edible of a meal, though you can certainly still eat it.

Of course if the serving is small, you don't need to worry about it. A few oxalates are actually good for you. It's large doses that you want to steer clear of, as is the case with most everything.

• Upvote 3

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.