Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Omega-3 Fish Oil Recommendation

Alan Tseng

Josh Schmitter

I rock the Carlson Lemon flavor in the bottle. Amazon and SwasonVitamins.com seem to be cheapest these days.

Josh Schmitter

Na, it's the regular fish oil. The cod liver is best to go Green Pastures since it has all the Vitamin A/D still in it...it's also crazy expensive, but people swear by it. Problem with all (afaik) the other cod oils is the Vitamins have been removed or extremely cut down due to the scare of toxicity. Check Chris Kresser and Chris Masterjohn for more info on why that is bogus.

Connor Davies

I just grab cans of sardines, no laboratory supplements needed.

I don't know about sardines but I looked into the cost of fish oil vs the cost of an equivalent amount in salmon.  Getting it from real fish turned out to be about 4 times more expensive.

Keilani Gutierrez

Nutrilite's Heart Health omega 3, here.

Iused their ocean balanced health, their basic one either standalone or in the Perfect Pack(for your health) for quite a while and didn't have this backround in experimentation under my belt but now that I bring it up, i'll take an existing readout of my cardio/cerebrovascular system and report in after 30-60days on this thread to report any(if any) difference.

I do the same thing as dmcmanam. I stock up on 25 or so cans of sardines at a time, the Season brand. It can be part of a breakfast, a supplementary food in case I didn't eat enough, something to add to a vegetarian meal, etc.. I also keep one can in my backpack alongside an MRE just in case. Great way to get omega-3 and other nutrients.

Sardines - A poem by Biren

25 grams of proteins,

20 grams of fatty fats.

The smell won't wash off my jeans

and I have to fight off my cats.

My breath defeats demons
My breath defeats Huns.
My friends are scared to sit next to me.
I smell like the glorious Morrocan sea.

My dad gets mad because it smells like pee,
I am slowly turning into a Kitty.

• Upvote 4

Try sardines on top of a quality piece of bread, sprinkle with some chopped raw garlic and sea salt flakes. 'Tis food that makes a man, and it will repel people for hours.

Alessandro Mainente

Consider the idea to integrate both omega 3 and omega 6, especially the second is undervalued.

For years everyone seems to be into fishoil/omega 3, we all read good things about it. I my self have eaten fishoil/omega 3 for periods of time. I even tried 2 months of eating loads of it just to see what I would experience from it but I did not realy notice anything special. 

What experience/good benefits have you guys got out of fish oil?

Have you guys experinced speedier recovery, better joint health or whatever?

I would realy love to hear benefits people have experienced from Omega 3 NOT what you have read about it.

I somtetimes get a little sceptical about all these supliments we are told to eat. I know that vegtables, frutis etc these days dont have the same amount of nutrients that they did a couple of decades ago but still do we realy need all these suplements or is it something we eat just to make sure we are not missing out?

Don't olive oil and nuts contain omega-3?

They do, but they contain more Omega-6. Omega-6 are not bad per se, but a good ratio must be maintained. I can't remember accurate numbers off the top of my head, but generally think about 1:1, don't worry if you eat a bit more Omega-6 (I think 4:1 is still a good ratio but I've seen various recommendations anyway). 

I don't really watch my own consumption of Omega, I've been more worried about getting way more veggies. Now that's done, I'm sorting out the protein intake and when that is done (shouldn't be too hard now I have whey protein), I'll worry about the macro ratio and the Omega ratio.

I think I eat way too much sushi anyway.

• Upvote 1

They do, but they contain more Omega-6. Omega-6 are not bad per se, but a good ratio must be maintained. I can't remember accurate numbers off the top of my head, but generally think about 1:1, don't worry if you eat a bit more Omega-6 (I think 4:1 is still a good ratio but I've seen various recommendations anyway). 

I don't really watch my own consumption of Omega, I've been more worried about getting way more veggies. Now that's done, I'm sorting out the protein intake and when that is done (shouldn't be too hard now I have whey protein), I'll worry about the macro ratio and the Omega ratio.

I think I eat way too much sushi anyway.

thank you very much for the info, I never really analysed my fats intake - i just used oil and butter (not too much) for cooking and condiment, knowing especially olive oil has omegas. and i eat some nuts and peanuts during the day, that's it

Daniel Burnham

I recommend smoked mackrel once a week and salmon at sardines another time during the week. The oil from real food tends to be processed more efficiently in our bodies. I gave up supplementing wit fish oil a little over a year ago.

• Upvote 1

Keilani Gutierrez

For years everyone seems to be into fishoil/omega 3, we all read good things about it. I my self have eaten fishoil/omega 3 for periods of time. I even tried 2 months of eating loads of it just to see what I would experience from it but I did not realy notice anything special.

What experience/good benefits have you guys got out of fish oil?

Have you guys experinced speedier recovery, better joint health or whatever?

I would realy love to hear benefits people have experienced from Omega 3 NOT what you have read about it.

I somtetimes get a little sceptical about all these supliments we are told to eat. I know that vegtables, frutis etc these days dont have the same amount of nutrients that they did a couple of decades ago but still do we realy need all these suplements or is it something we eat just to make sure we are not missing out?

I'd say it's good if it's needed and not taken if you're already eating it in your diet. I say that to all my customers/people who have doubts.

the fact that something is "good" ,like being able to front levers and planches, doesnt mean its applicable at the time being and in chemistry you see this happen systemically and quicker, so its good if you eat it from your food like Daniel said(im not a fan of sardines, so i typically eat tuna and then take my supplements. that in conjunction with doing F1 5days a week until the volume ramped up, i wasnt eating enough macros, and H1 came out so i went to 4days F1 and 2days H1 and my cardio/cerebrovascular system are compared from April(starting to eat, eat veggies frequently, do F1, drink supplements.) nothing else aside from working kung fu and riding my bike occasionally. the results speak for themselves.

so, so long as its relevant, eat what you can and supplement if you choose to.

Douglas Wadle

This is why I asked my question.  People often take supplements because they feel they're good for them, but they don't have a specific purpose in mind.  Fish oils have contributed to the overfishing of our seas, and they likely contain traces of mercury.  I'm not one to want to take drugs if there's not a really good reason to do so.  So far, the studies looking at outcomes, e.g. heart disease, have not been as optimistic as i would've liked.  I used to recommend fish oils in the past, but as the studies have caught up with what people are actually doing, the reasons to do so have become less and less.  I think we're always better off using our food as our drugs, and avoiding the need to take prepackaged morsels of specific nutrients.  If your diet is excluding nutrients you need, it's probably not a healthy diet.

• Upvote 1

Daniel Burnham

This is why I asked my question. People often take supplements because they feel they're good for them, but they don't have a specific purpose in mind. Fish oils have contributed to the overfishing of our seas, and they likely contain traces of mercury. I'm not one to want to take drugs if there's not a really good reason to do so. So far, the studies looking at outcomes, e.g. heart disease, have not been as optimistic as i would've liked. I used to recommend fish oils in the past, but as the studies have caught up with what people are actually doing, the reasons to do so have become less and less. I think we're always better off using our food as our drugs, and avoiding the need to take prepackaged morsels of specific nutrients. If your diet is excluding nutrients you need, it's probably not a healthy diet.

Dead on. There are a few things that are scarce in different regions and people engaging in very high athletics may need an excess but for the vast majority the diet should cover your needs.

• Upvote 3

I ate them for a while and couldn't feel any difference whatsoever, but then again, I suppose we aren't able to *feel* the changes occurring in the cardiovascular system.

Then I learned that all the brands in Denmark are selling rancid oil. After that, no thanks. I eat quite a lot of herring and mackerel anyway.

Daniel Burnham

I ate them for a while and couldn't feel any difference whatsoever, but then again, I suppose we aren't able to *feel* the changes occurring in the cardiovascular system.

Then I learned that all the brands in Denmark are selling rancid oil. After that, no thanks. I eat quite a lot of herring and mackerel anyway.

Mmm mackerel in the morning with eggs and spinach.  One of my favorite breakfasts..

Back to the topic, I also didn't feel any difference, though I have friends that swore by the stuff and claimed they felt much better in their joints after taking it.  I know there is some benefit to having a better omega 3 balance but it you notice a large difference after taking fish oil you may need to revisit how inflammatory the rest of your diet is.  

For balance I eat grassfed beef, butter and fish to balance out my intake of other meats a little higher in omega 6 (chicken, some pork).  For joint pain Id prefer broth and a nice nap to fish oil.

• Upvote 2

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.