Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Arm Swing Conditioning for Back Handspring

sythiel

Hi all, I am an adult female gymnast trying to learn standing back handspring. My coach told me that my arm swing is too weak and that I need to go the gym and train it. The problem is that I have no idea which exercises to do or which machines to use to train the movement so that I can improve my power. Could anyone suggest me what are the best exercises to do? Is there anything I could do at home as well? I don't have daily access to a gym...

Thanks a lot, any help will be greatly appreciated!

Front raises?

If you had a set of therabands with handles you could do the theraband series from the GB seminar.

Arm circles with a small weight backwards.

Honestly, I've never heard of this issue in a standing back handspring.

Maybe your shoulders are super weak or tight?

Ralph Palutke

Honestly, I've never heard of this issue in a standing back handspring.

Maybe your shoulders are super weak or tight?

Or her coach is kindof ...  :facepalm: 

Why isn't he/she working on your armswing, instead of sending you to a gym?

Nevertheless, could you please specify your exact problem? Blairbobs suggestion using a terra band

is great.

My shoulder flexibility is ok, could always be improved of course but it should be enough to do a BHS and I am constantly working on it. On the other hand my arm swing is too slow (not explosive enough) so I tend to get stuck in the middle of the skill. I have a theraband, how exactly would you train with it? The only way I can think of is to hold the band with one foot and mimic the arm swing movement but I am not strong enough to swing my arms with a band over my head, I can only extend till my hands are face level.

Thanks a lot for your advices

Get a theraband or the kind with handles and wrap it around a pole chest height. Walk out with it till there is some tension on it.

Push it down to the sides of your hips like you are doing a support. Pull it up to overhead like you are in a hang.

Top to bottom or bottom to top. 10-15 reps.

Or you can do pretty much the same thing with a dumbbell.

• Upvote 1