Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Pinch grip strength

Connor Davies

Daniel Sarnowski

A great exercise I learned a long time ago is to fill large mason jars with water and carry them around using only your fingertips on the mouth of the jars. You'll probably have to experiment to find the right weight/size. I just tried it with a gallon jar and it was pretty effective. I learned this in a book about martial arts and was told that training like this would build enough strength to crush a human skull with your bare hands. Kinda scary.  

Connor Davies

I see so you need finger isometrics, then I change my mind, finger push-ups do help then

Sorry, is a towel hang not an isometric?

As far as fingertip pushups go I hyperextend at the middle joint of my fingers (more that 45 degrees) So I need to be real careful with them

Also I don't feel they train the thumb much at all.

Sorry, is a towel hang not an isometric?

As far as fingertip pushups go I hyperextend at the middle joint of my fingers (more that 45 degrees) So I need to be real careful with them

Also I don't feel they train the thumb much at all.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my current image of pinch grip is knuckles flexed, but fingers straight.  Whereas a towel hang is knuckles, flexed, fingers flexed.  Which is why I thought finger pushups in CC2 may be a good idea because they are performed pretty along the lines of knuckles flexed, fingers straight.

But it seems you want to strengthen just your thumb.  Cheapest solution would be to use a finger in opposite hand to push thumb up, while your thumb pushes your finger down.  You can decide how much you want resistance you want applied.  You can then progressing to using more and more fingers against your thumb.

If that's too boring, then equipment wise google Digi-flex.  They have various resistance (gotta buy separately though), and you can use your thumb to push down on it.

A great exercise I learned a long time ago is to fill large mason jars with water and carry them around using only your fingertips on the mouth of the jars. You'll probably have to experiment to find the right weight/size. I just tried it with a gallon jar and it was pretty effective. I learned this in a book about martial arts and was told that training like this would build enough strength to crush a human skull with your bare hands. Kinda scary.  

Martial arts books can be hilarious in their matter-of-fact derangedness. I wonder if there's a randomized controlled trial to show that this method will lead to skull crushing capabilities.

Edit: ...and not to nitpick, but the dome shape is one of the strongest structures in nature due to it's ability to disperse force. Actually, would you mind sharing the source? That book sounds so silly that it could come in handy for entertainment purposes. Nothing like a bit of hyperbole before bedtime.

• Upvote 1

Martial arts books can be hilarious in their matter-of-fact derangedness. I wonder if there's a randomized controlled trial to show that this method will lead to skull crushing capabilities.

Edit: ...and not to nitpick, but the dome shape is one of the strongest structures in nature due to it's ability to disperse force. Actually, would you mind sharing the source? That book sounds so silly that it could come in handy for entertainment purposes. Nothing like a bit of hyperbole before bedtime.

Actually I've heard that one a few times... :P

Jars for finger training works very well, but I don't think you are going to help your pinch grip that much by this.

We did something similar back in the day with pinch-gripping 4kg weight plates at arms length in an iron cross position (wrists flexed at 90 degrees) in low horse. Related drill with torso twisting to take the mind off the dull ache. It sucks to train, but it works.

A lot of people are working on pinch grip strength, when they should be worrying about ABH and ABR.  

First things first, people.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 1

Connor Davies

A lot of people are working on pinch grip strength, when they should be worrying about ABH and ABR.  

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

But ABH sucks....

Seriously, how did you ever convince small children to put up with them?  Or, do they not have the same difficulties with them that adults do....

Joshua Slocum

But ABH sucks....

Seriously, how did you ever convince small children to put up with them?  Or, do they not have the same difficulties with them that adults do....

I liked ABH. Mastering it made my rings swings way better. I may not have liked it while doing it, but I'm glad I did it...

• Upvote 1

Keilani Gutierrez

I liked ABH. Mastering it made my rings swings way better. I may not have liked it while doing it, but I'm glad I did it...

agreed, I'm starting to like them because few PE's pose the intensity that actually performing them is a struggle(not in a negative way) 

they remind me of Barspins. fun to do, once you're good at them, but the process to get them made my fingers start twitching from the nervousness sometimes. 

But ABH sucks....

Why should someone need to be convinced to pursue excellence?  

My students were all taught that proper physical preparation was part of the price of admission for becoming a champion.  And champions, regardless of age, take care of their business because it needs to be done.  It is a matter of character and desire.  Whether or not it is their favorite thing in the world is inconsequential.

No one can force someone else to become a champion.  The dream lives within or it doesn't live at all.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 8

Kamali Downey

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

I must have missed that one......

what is ABH and ABR?