Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Best common brands of whey protein

Seabird

So Ive started supplementing with whey protein lately. Obviously hydrolysate whey is the best, with the isolate and concentrate both being slower to different degrees, but can anyone tell me which protein brand they prefer, and why? I got myself a couple of tubs of Body Fortress Super Advanced, Muscle Milk and Six Star, and I can't tell much of a difference except that the two that aren't muscle milk seem to have creatine monohydrate in them. They all have varying degrees of the different types of whey, but I can't find out how much of each, and I'm fairly sure that they're probably pretty much the same/that any advertising they are making is a scam. Seems like most of the industry is a scam tbh.

So could yall recommend any particular type of whey, or other protein powders? Conversely, if yall think that different types of whey (isolate/concentrate/hydrolysate) are pretty much the same in how the body reacts pre and post workout, then I'd be open to that as well given that I have next to no idea, though its my general impression that the faster absorbed the better. 

Daniel Burnham

I consider concentrate to be the best. I also have been experimenting with goats milk protein which seems to sit better.

My rule is no artificial sweeteners. All destroy me besides stevia which technically isn't artificial.

There isn't a terrible difference. Some do have enzymes which make them digest better but I suspect this has a negative effect on natural enzymes. Which is why I am trying goats milk.

My final suggestion is to get the cheapest whey with no artificial sweeteners. Although isopure is pretty amazing in solubility and mouthfeel.

• Upvote 1

Joshua Slocum

I use nutrabio. It comes with protein in it. No flavors, no sweeteners, no crap. Just protein. 

• Upvote 1

I had to change my ways because I use protein powder on a daily basis. The safe bet it to find something clean. Search for consumer reports articles regarding toxins and heavy metals found in Muscle Milk and other GNC products. I stopped using those products, and now supplement with About Time.  I'm not certain this product is 100% clean, but when the label shows fewer ingredients- it's probably a good bet.

• Upvote 2

Michael Blythe

I like warrior whey  its grass fed , i use to take any old whey till i meet rob wolff . now its only grass fed for me. 

the normal stuff  use to give me gas  i have not had a problem since changing to this , but also cut out all grain fed beef /chicken/meats so i cant say if it the whey 

http://www.warriorwhey.com/

read this there is plenty of other  research  out there if  you search , i think your better off  with nothing than a cheap store brand  

http://wyntersway.com/blog/?p=76

• Upvote 1

I've been meaning to ask about whey protein too. These all seem like great suggestions, I especially like Warrior Whey and Pulsin. Now to see if I can get these to/in France...

Daniel Burnham

Just FYI. The benefit of eating grassfed is that the fat profile of the milk and beef is more balanced towards omega 3 fatty acids. In whey they remove the fat. So there is no difference between grassfed and grainfed whey that I am aware of. Besides price that is.

Colin Macdonald

Just FYI. The benefit of eating grassfed is that the fat profile of the milk and beef is more balanced towards omega 3 fatty acids. In whey they remove the fat. So there is no difference between grassfed and grainfed whey that I am aware of. Besides price that is.

Probably not. But the company seems to have a good philosophy and I like to support certain types of industry. And the price isn't that much more for the amount I use, the 5kg bucket lasts me a good long time.

It's speculative, but cheaper whey proteins have had problems with excess heavy metals. So while I can't say with certainty, it's probably better to get it sourced from non factory farmed cows.

I've been meaning to ask about whey protein too. These all seem like great suggestions, I especially like Warrior Whey and Pulsin. Now to see if I can get these to/in France...

I got mine shipped to Italy, so I don't think it's a problem.

Bryan Wheelock

Optimum Whey Nutrition is good. I've never had an intestinal issues with it .

French vanilla and mocha are my favorite flavors.

Michael Blythe

Fair enough but

There's a much simpler reason to choose grassfed. It contributes to farmers who raise their animals the right way, and we want those people to thrive, so that we change the entire way we grow and raise our food.

Also there is no way some cheap factory made crap can be good for you !

• Upvote 1

Kate Abernethy

I have been using Maximuscle Promax Lean, it contains fat burners (i.e. caffeine) which hit about an hour later - I get a very hot feeling  :huh:

When it finishes soon, I will switch to poor man's whey - a glass of semi-skimmed milk, because I think I'm getting a lot of excess sugar calories in the whey protein and need to gradually lean up so there's less of me to lift into a manna (are you listening Jon?! :ph34r: ).

• Upvote 1

Colin Macdonald

thecolin, how much do you spend with the shipping? I live in Padova :D

I'm not sure, I bought it a while ago. I think if you go to their store (http://www.pulsin.co.uk/) and start an order, it will tell you the cost of shipping before the confirm the purchase.

Colin Macdonald

I got an e-mail from Pulsin' the other day with a discount code good for 25% off one order before Febuary 28th. It doesn't look like a personal code, so go nuts: HEALTHY2014

Klemen Bobnar

I'm thinking of buying Olimp 100% natural whey protein concentrate. Has anyone tried it? The reviews seem good, except for the taste, which I can live with.

Yes, I might as well try and ask. Doubt it will work, since you probably were given this code because you had already ordered something from them. I might reorder before Feb 28th depending on how fast I go through it. I also need to get a job or my modest student savings will die from whey attacks.  :lol:

I get mine from www.truenutrition.com.  You get to choose exactly what goes into it.  You can even create your own custom mixes.  They also have forums where people are pretty helpful.

If you go for a reputable company the quality should be good. My recommendation is to find a flavour you like otherwise you will stop taking it quickly.   

Matthew Rider

I use Allmax Isoflex in Vanilla.  Tastes good, even in plain water.  It does have a small amount of sucralose and artificial flavouring, but the rest of my diet is real clean so I'm not too worried.

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.