Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Best after workout shake - no suplements

Micha Trejgis

I like it, and often do it myself, but I have no idea if it is "The Best". It's got carbs and protein though, so it can't be totally off.

Edit: I go easy on the sugar or honey, since milk has contains quite a lot of carbs already.

Taaaaaasty! But isn't cocoa quite high in fat? Not really sure if it is the type of fat that slows digestion or not but if it does then probably not ideal. Also unless you are pretty lean that is a hell of a lot of sugar to digest for someone if they were trying to lose some fat while gaining muscle.

In saying all that it is freaking tasty and I used to do it as well a couple of years ago.

Josh Schmitter

I might be mistaken but 1:46 seems around 1:40 too long for the information contained ;).

• Upvote 1

Joshua Slocum

Ideally it'd have more protein, and a bit less fat would probably be good. 

I generally buy chocolate almond milk and mix in a scoop of protein powder. That results in plenty of protein, a good amount of sugar, and much tastiness. 

Micha Trejgis

True, and i like the idea. But - as in the title - I was going for "best no suplement shake" :) My fault I should have stated it clearer.

I generally buy chocolate almond milk and mix in a scoop of protein powder. That results in plenty of protein, a good amount of sugar, and much tastiness. 

Joshua Slocum

True, and i like the idea. But - as in the title - I was going for "best no suplement shake" :) My fault I should have stated it clearer.

Oh, ok. I don't usually consider protein powder to be a supplement. In that case, try this:

Blend together: 1c nonfat Greek yogurt, .5c chocolate milk, .5c frozen berries (or fresh if you don't live in the frozen North like I do)

Or you could eat 1c nonfat cottage cheese with a scoop of jam/preserves. Lots of protein, a good amount of sugar, quick and easy. 

Daniel Burnham

How about chicken breast and puffed rice cereal?  I do this as a pre-workout snack sometimes, and if I don't have any powder sometimes after.

Just know that powder would be better for post workout because of the speed of digestion.

If you don't want to use protein powder, I've found white beans to be an excellent replacement in shakes. I know it sounds gross, but if you put in some fruit, especially a ripe banana, it's fine. Just make sure you rinse them well to remove the salt (tastes bad) if you buy canned beans. Personally I'm soaking (and sprouting for more nutrition and fun) dry beans that I bought in bulk. I also add oats for extra carbs, calories, and protein. Raw pumpkin seeds are great too.

I can't take credit for these ideas... I saw them on a vegan bodybuilding website.

Bill Köhntopp

my choice is low fat curd cheese, never used whey or things like that. The good thing about the lfccheese is, it has no strong taste, so mix it with bananas, it will taste like bananas

milk, lfccheese, oatflakes, banana, berries and mix it - yummi! for more calories you can add some coconutoil

• 5 weeks later...

Nice combination. I make something similar by adding a banana and a small tablespoon of peanut butter and maybe a few ice cubes. Decent balance of macros and makes a change from the usual protein shakes.

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.