Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Nutrition Expert Robb Wolf's new DVD - Eat Time!

Coach Sommer

Nutrition Expert Robb Wolf's New DVD - Eat Time!

As high performance athletes, there are many things that gymnasts do well. Most often competitive gymnasts are quite muscular, lean and ripped; we have a tendency to believe that all is within our grasp athletically. Yet despite our many successes on the field of play, we are generally woefully inadequate in one of the fundamental areas of athletic preparation - nutrition.

For years my friend and nutrition expert, Robb Wolf, has attempted to ease this situation; at least somewhat, with suggestions, options and fine tuning tips for my athletes' nutritional plans - elementary as they may be by his standards. This help has been invaluable. I personally have been fortunate enough over the years to simply call and seek Robb's guidance over the phone when needed. Now he has taken his philosophy and made it available to all on a new DVD;

Eat Time!

I will let Robb describe it in his own words; "On this DVD you will learn the success formula necessary to improve your athletic performance, improve your body composition, have greater energy, and optimize your grocery shopping experience and the value of nutrient timing. The foods, the preparation, the shopping experience and mystery of implementing a uniform eating routine will be addressed in this DVD featuring Robb Wolf and Michael Rutherford."

Robb's DVD may be ordered here: http://www.performancemenu.com/zen/inde ... ucts_id=86

If the DVD is currently out of your price range ($30), I urge you to at least peruse his blog ( http://robbwolf.com/?p=6 ) or his fine postings here in our own nutritional forum or at the nutritional forum over at www.performancemenu.com (another fine training board run by Olympic Lifting Expert Greg Everett).

As you have no doubt already come to know from visiting me here at my website, GymnasticBodies.com, I tend to be rather focused, intense and demanding with regards to the training of my athletes and clients. All facets and components of my training program must produce results or they are simply set aside. Robb Wolf and his nutritional expertise get my highest recommendation.

I am ordering my own copy of Eat Time! this morning.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• 1 year later...
Guest marktb68

Coach,

I was wondering what your thoughts were of the role of nutrition in HOW YOUR ATHLETES LOOK, especially the older ones? It appears to me, and I may be way off on this one, that they are not eating 5-6 meals a day and watching specifics like macronutrient ratios. Does a gymnasts body have more to do with the training than with the nutrition? I realize PERFORMANCE may be enhanced by proper dietary habits but I am speaking purely body appearances.

Mark Baldwin

My athletes' appearances are entirely the result of their training. Their diets are far from optimal and are not under my direct control. At this point, I can only stress the importance of staying away from junk food, soda and sugar and encourage them to increase their intake of healthy protein, fats and vegetables.

Robb and I have been working for some time on his coming out to present a nutrition seminar to my athletes; however both of our crazy schedules always seem to get in the way!

If you haven't already, I encourage all of you to spend time studying the material on Robb's website and to consider purchasing his DVD.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• 2 months later...

Hey Coach,

I know exactly what you mean when you say that your focal point is on the training of your athlete's and that their dietary behaviors are not under your control. I too deal with that with my student athlete's. It is frustrating at 6:00 AM when I ask all those who did not hydrate/fuel before training to raise their hands (about 85% of the hands go up and another 10% are lying to me). But we can only control so much right? :| Take care coach.

Stevie, I know where you are coming from when I asked the kids when was the last time they ate something and they may tell me lunchtime (roughly 4 hours ago) or maybe they skipped lunch.

At 6am it may be pretty rough since I'm sure those athletes would rather sleep in than eat at 5 or 530am meaning they'll need to wake even earlier.

But we can only control so much right?
Yes and no. Pretty much once they get on team, often during their team introduction there will be a nutrition lecture. One of the tricks is not to do this just once a year but keep current on it. Post it on a bulletin board, send data home (or via email/blog), talk about it constantly. I monitor what my gymnasts eat during snack time or can eat besides talking about it in the warmup, etc.

I will also note that I have seen gymnasts eat their fare share. Most will eat breakfast, have a snack time during school or homeschool in the late morning, eat lunch, eat 30m-1h before workout, eat during a break, go home and eat.

And it's not only the boys with the ferocious appetities. I've had my share of girls who ate quite a bit (while being some of the strongest and fittest amongst their peers). However, sometimes this dies off once they hit puberty while others don't care. Guess which ones tend to be stronger and have more energy?

An athlete that doesn't have enough gas in the tank and isn't properly hydrated is pretty much useless from the time they walk into the gym and it's pretty much too late by then to hydrate and replenish them at that point. However, if I can catch it, I will have some athletes eat before the workout starts and begin hydrating. I've taken to keeping stores of snacks and such at the gym or doling it out of my own pocket if need be since I can't train my athletes, it not only annoys me, but wastes my time.

It's also important to note, that many gymnasts are burning so many calories being active in the gym and before and after outside of the gym to go with young metabolisms that they can get away with it to some degree. However, this does not set them up for the future as athletes in their young adult years or adult years.

Mr. Blairbob,

Thnx for your posts and ideas. I'll just keep educating them and hold myself to the highest standard when it comes to nutrition so I can say, "Guys, I put my money where my mouth is." Btw... I used to push a patrol vehicle in Sacto on either graveyard or swingshift for some years. Moved back to socal in 06. Lots of action in Sacto. Can't say that I miss the 100 + summer days though. I do miss the 2 hr beautiful drive and access to Sierra Back Country climbing,camping,hiking,exploring,fishing, ect though. Aww those mid-late summer afternoons when the sun hits the mountains just right and I'm just lovin it in the high country... Go easy.

To also note, one thing I haven't had success is with gymnasts who do not like to eat or hydrate as much as they probably should. They may eat a little more or change their dietary habits ( to get more iron in or realize they are low on minerals/electrolytes).

Last summer wasn't that bad and I'll be visiting socal this weekend. I do dig it up here in Norcal, one cannot escape the craziness and smog a lot easier.

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.