Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Need help with diet

Matteo.Za

Hi!
Premise:  I'm vegetarian (almost two years).

I'm 1.70m for 66-67kg.

I can't afford a nutritionist, but it looks like some of you are really into nutrition science and come out with precious advices.

Until now my daily diet looked like this:

breakfast:

-a cup of cornflakes or 5-6 pieces of melba toast with some jam or a little cup of flakes and 3-4 m.toasts

-a glass of orange juice (I make it at the moment with oranges I buy)

maybe an espresso

mid-morning:

it depends wether I'm home studying or at university (in this case I dont eat)

If I'm home I usually eat some walnuts (3-4)

lunch:

-a portion of veggies (usually salad with olive oil, tomatoes, a carrot; if I have them: spinach, zucchini, eggplant, broccoli ecc...)

-a portion of pasta or rice

-200g of legumes: beans, lentils, soy if I have it (but usually eat it once per month)

pre-workout:

-1 banana or apple

in-wo:

-2/3 teaspoon of honey or some bites of an apple

post-wo:

-the apple left

-some eggs, sometimes only albumens

dinner (this can come right after the wo):

same as lunch

I also eat some cheese (usually ricotta) because my father keeps buying it, but I'd like to leave this if I can replace it.
I use olive oil and not butter for cooking.

My muscles grows nicely, but I feel like they could develop more with proper adjustments; I also would like to reduce my bodyfat (I have some bellyfat, not too much but I was never really defined).

I'm starting to cut out pasta and replacing the carbs with some fruits (especially bananas) and more legumes.
I found a cheap package with 1kg of albumens at the supermarket (when I go by myself).

We don't have too much money to spend on food and I don't buy it (my father does), so I need to maximize what I have and buy the cheapest.

Should I buy supplements? How can I gain strength and muscle mass while cutting the fat? Do you have any overall advice on my diet?

Thank you very much for your time :)

Daniel Burnham

More protein. Also don't replace pasta with fruit. Use starchy tubers instead. Try to keep fructose fairly low.

Replace your breakfast entirely. If you eat eggs do that here. Currently you are eating what is basically a lump sum of sugar.

Olive oil is ok but you should also use other cooking oils. Butter is very good. Coconut oil is also good.

I always recommend eating near because it tends to help most. But if you really don't want to find alternative protein sources and make sure you get the vitamins you need.

thank you for the responses!
These last days I ate the eggs at breakfast, always with some toast. should i replace the toasts entirely? If yes, with what?

For the protein: I'll start buying some soy milk, but what other sources can I get other than the regular legumes? More legumes seems like a killing for my intestine :P Maybe I'll buy veg burger?
What about the fat question?

Connor Davies

Cutting carbs or carb cycling should help you reduce body fat levels.  You may need to supplement protein, depending on how vegetarian you are.

Josh Schmitter

Step 1: Read and reread the 2 stickies in the Nutrition Forum by Joshua Naterman(aka Slizzardman)...then read them again.

Step 2: Continue posting questions here ^_^ .

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.