Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Influence of protein on insulin resistance

Adrien Godet

Adrien Godet

Some of you are rightfully concerned by the topic of insulin resistance and its consequence on general health; so I thought I'd share this.

Selected copy/paste from "Role of Dietary Proteins and Amino Acids in the Pathogenesis of Insulin Resistance"

Dietary proteins and amino acids are important modulators of glucose metabolism and insulin sensitivity. Although high intake of dietary proteins has positive effects on energy homeostasis by inducing satiety and possibly increasing energy expenditure, it has detrimental effects on glucose homeostasis by promoting insulin resistance and increasing gluconeogenesis. Varying the quality rather than the quantity of proteins has been shown to modulate insulin resistance induced by Western diets and has revealed that proteins derived from fish might have the most desirable effects on insulin sensitivity. Moreover, amino acid signaling is integrated by a nutrient sensor that operates a negative feedback loop toward insulin receptor substrate 1 signaling, promoting insulin resistance for glucose metabolism. This integration suggests that modulating dietary proteins and the flux of circulating amino acids generated by their consumption and digestion might underlie powerful new approaches to treat various metabolic diseases such as obesity and diabetes.

SUMMARY: High intake of protein promotes insulin resistance which strongly encourages fat storage. Protein quality does matter.

SUMMARY: High intake of protein promotes insulin resistance which strongly encourages fat storage. Protein quality does matter.

I don't get it, what is protein quality got to do with high intake?????if high intake of protein promotes insulin resistance, then it doesn't matter what quality is protein.

Other thing, I doubt you will see any difrence if at all. I can tell you I have high amount of proteins per day and I am every day more slim (slim by fat) :wink:

Adrien Godet

Hi Gregor,

After switching to a paleo-ish diet,I recently got myself tested with the following results:

- Cholesterol/Triglycerides: in the bottom of the normal range

- Nitrogen balance/Proteins: near the upper limit of the normal range

- Fasting blood glucose (indicator of insulin resistance / efficiency of glucose metabolism): in the upper part of the normal range

That last one was quite surprising and I'm trying to get it as well.

Regarding practical results, I am struggling to lose visible belly fat (182cm, 70kg).

Thanks for your input

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.