Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Gaining too much weight

Seabird

So I've been doing a lot of bent arm work recently, and I've been putting on some weight as a result (along the lines of 17 lbs over the past 2 months, to 180 from 163). It seems to mostly be muscle, but I'd guess I went from maybe 12 to 15% or so bodyfat because I've changed up my nutrition so that I'm getting 5 meals or so per day with around 30 grams of protein in each. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I get the impression this will not be beneficial in the long run, especially given that the average poundage for a good gymnast is in the 130's. 

Daniel Burnham

So I've been doing a lot of bent arm work recently, and I've been putting on some weight as a result (along the lines of 17 lbs over the past 2 months, to 180 from 163). It seems to mostly be muscle, but I'd guess I went from maybe 12 to 15% or so bodyfat because I've changed up my nutrition so that I'm getting 5 meals or so per day with around 30 grams of protein in each. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I get the impression this will not be beneficial in the long run, especially given that the average poundage for a good gymnast is in the 130's.

We can't possibly know anything from just protein intake. How about carbs and fat. Are you doing any other work.

Also they weigh very little because they are also very short on average. I wouldn't worry that much about trying to be the weight of the average gymnast.

Carbs are generally low glycemic index, lots of beans and vegetables that I'll put in to a chicken stew or something similar that I am usually having a couple times a day, usually on top of eggs and chicken sausage for breakfast. I've been taking in more of the not mono saturated fats than I should, mostly through heavy cream in my coffee. I don't eat many fruits because they're so high in sugars, don't drink and I've been getting at least 2, often closer to 3 liters of water per day. Also recently started taking whey protein as well though that's really experimental at this point. And no, no other work.

• Upvote 1

Christopher Schwab

I know for me water weight was a huge amount of the weight I gained. It also can visually change body composition as you become more properly hydrated. 

I'd be interested to know if the majority of the weight you gained was water weight, or in fact pure muscle (because I'd have thought absolutely no more than half of that would be gained in 2 months.) 

Colin Macdonald

I've been taking in more of the not mono saturated fats than I should, mostly through heavy cream in my coffee.

Reasonable amounts of saturated fat is an excellent dense energy source for active people, as opposed to the "healthy" polyunsaturated fats that are extremely chemically unstable and oxidize in the body (and outside the body as well!) and completely loaded with omega-6 fatty acids which destroys your body's ideal omega 3/6 ratio.

If you're putting on excess fat, I think it will hinder your progress in gymnastics, since it's all about maxing power to weight ratios. Since your diet appears to be pretty good overall, just cut back to three meals a day. Your weight should come back down, not to mention all the time you'll save!

I know for me water weight was a huge amount of the weight I gained. It also can visually change body composition as you become more properly hydrated. 

I'd be interested to know if the majority of the weight you gained was water weight, or in fact pure muscle (because I'd have thought absolutely no more than half of that would be gained in 2 months.) 

I think even half of that as pure muscle is close to impossible unless it's an absolute beginner strength trainer with a perfect set of hormones at the right age.

I'd have no problem with cutting back but up til now these have all been fairly small meals that are mostly spaced the way they are to get a gram of protein per pound of lean body weight per day. I've heard that spacing it out like that and aiming for 30 grams per meal is preferable but I'm not particularly knowledgeable about building strength.

James Janssen

You cannot extend the average 130 lbs gymnast weight as to being your ideal weight, since it is an average and it is their height/weight ratio, plus really low body fat that usually results in these numbers. Also usually, every fiber in their body is not in excess, because it is induced by proper conditioning and form.

It is all is based on a simple principle: if you have an excess caloric intake on a daily basis, i.e. above your maintenance intake, you are going to gain weight. If you are not, you are going to lose weight. It also has to do with your daily activities and how much of the calories are getting used as fuel. I know it's a really simplistic way of explaining, but it is up to you to adapt your diet according to your goals.

Colin Macdonald

I'd have no problem with cutting back but up til now these have all been fairly small meals that are mostly spaced the way they are to get a gram of protein per pound of lean body weight per day. I've heard that spacing it out like that and aiming for 30 grams per meal is preferable but I'm not particularly knowledgeable about building strength.

I won't go in to tons of details, but if you look around a bit I think you'll find the protein requirements of strength training is highly contentious. Research supporting it is dubious, and in general, extremely biased with industry influence. In brief, training builds strength, not protein.

Regardless, the fact of the matter is that your current diet is putting on excess weight that you don't need, so simply cut back. And don't worry about eating constantly out of fear of catabolism and muscle loss. Just eat the right things when you're hungry. If you stick to whole foods and lots of veggies, simply cutting calories should do the trick. If you get a lot of industrial foods full of fructose and other nastiness, then simple calorie reduction probably isn't the answer, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.