Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

pulley rings

John Sapinoso

John Sapinoso

i recently made a pulley attatchment for the xtreme rings set,

(when you pull down on the rings a belt attached to your body pulls up, aiding in strength moves)

someone who is good with physics or pulley mechanics know a way to decrease my assisted leverage without increasing any weight?

As of right now it helps way too much.

i was thinking instead of attaching the end to a belt, i'd attached each end to my arm and the closer it is to my body the easier it would be, similar to that iron cross trainer posted here a while ago.

I made a pulley system for my rings where I wear a belt and a length of cord is attached to either side of the belt runs up through some pulleys and I just hang some weights from it. Whatevr weight I hang on it is the amount of assistance it gives me. So it can be as little as 1 lb or say 50 lbs. At the moment I can hold an iron cross static hold with 20 lbs of assistance. My bodyweight is 150 lbs so if I weighed 130 lbs I'd be able to hold the cross without any help. The pulleys are a great help and it keeps the movement feeling very natural. The pulleys also helped me work up to full bodyweight cross pullouts and bodyweight rings turned out dips.

Paul.

Yes, I would like to see these systems as well, I'm working crosses a lot more and I rarely have a spotter, I was thinking about making a simple but cheesy pulley system.

John Sapinoso

paul, the rings are static on yous then ..right?

the reason i dont want to add weight is because i weigh 160 and the weakest point on my system has a safe working load of 125 (the pulley)

and that times 2 (i use one on each side) would be 250

you think if i set it up like you id be getting too close to the working load?

David Picó García

You can try this:

This is not me, is my nephew, simply moving the strap near the elbow decreses the leverage. In that way i can do a cross pull. Of course if you put it as in the video (about elbow height) you loose the elbow training but you can gradually move the straps far from the elbows. Although the pressure on the forearm is very intense and cuts the pass of blood easily, so is better to put a protection between the straps and the forearm.

Here's a couple of sketches of how I set up my simple pulley system. My rings hang from the rafters in my garage so it's easy to rig up something like this. You just use the rings as normal and whatever weight you add to the pulley system makes you lighter by that exact amount. I tested it by standing on bathroom scales and it's very precise. If you add 20lbs to the pulleys then you weigh 20lbs less so for static holds you can gauge improvements by very precise amounts. I use a thin nylon cord to run through the pulleys and it has a breaking strain of around 300lbs and as I only use around 20lbs on the pulleys it's more than strong enough. For the pulleys I use solid metal ones which were very cheap on ebay. First time round I used metal pulleys that had plastic wheels but they broke after a few months of use so go fo all metal ones. I use two pulleys each side to keep the weights far enough away from me that they don't interfere with any exercises.

I don't have a fancy belt/harness. All I did was make 2 loops from 2" nylon webbing and each loop is big enough to go over one leg. Tie one loop to the end of one cord and the other loop to the other cord. See second sketch. It's no good if you want to spin upside down, for that you would need a special harness belt but for crosses, dips, planches etc it works fine.

Paul.

pulley.jpg

rings.jpg

John Sapinoso

@ seretonin:

thanks, i've tried that but they slip, but i think some velcro straps could help me there

@ paul

that diagram helps i'll try a similar that setup today, btw i use a long heavy duty velcro strap as a belt and it works pretty well

• 3 months later...

I know this is an old post but i figured I would comment to spread some knowledge.

On the diagram, you use 2 wheel pulleys. The more pulleys you use, the less the weigh will weigh because it will have more resistance. Is there any reason you would not just use one? perhaps not enough room in the space? I would figure one pulley in the center of where 2 are placed in the diagram would be perfect and you still would not interact with the weights. I am not sure how much of a difference, but I am pretty sure the weight will feel different.

Any thoughts?

The pulleys in my diagram will have no effect on the weight because they are in a continuous train. I tested this also just to make sure with some scales that I stood on. Whatever weight was on the end of the pulleys was the weight difference that showed up on the scales.

I think what you are thinking of is where you have something called compound pulleys where they are mounted one below the other and this is different to having them set at the same height as I have. It's only the height difference that changes how they affect the weight. Look up compound pulleys on google to see what I mean.

Paul.