Jon Douglas said:This. Don't rotate your elbows. Straight back.
Rotation is coming in the dislocate series.
Sorry, Jon--are you saying refrain from rotating in HS/PE1>iM? Or both 1 & 2?
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Started by NoHiddenCosts, December 17, 2013 · 33 Replies · 1,160 Views
Jon Douglas said:This. Don't rotate your elbows. Straight back.
Rotation is coming in the dislocate series.
Sorry, Jon--are you saying refrain from rotating in HS/PE1>iM? Or both 1 & 2?
NoHiddenCosts said:Sorry, Jon--are you saying refrain from rotating in HS/PE1>iM? Or both 1 & 2?
Both. There is a little rotation inherent in the movement, but nothing like going up with the intention of dislocating the bar. I don't yet have have im2 at 20kg despite dislocate and flexion movements being very easy at that weight; the movement is quite distinct
Totally normal. Different kind of flexibilityOndra said:Well, I tried it just now without rotating elbows and I'm not able to extend to shoulder hight. Not without bending forward and tilting my head. Even with the widest grip I can take.
Interesting is I have enough flexible shoulders to get to the right position. When I grab rung of a stall bar behind my body and walk up with my hands until they are in my shoulder hight, I can stand almost completely straight. (Hope you got my point..)
That means enough flexibility, lack of strength.
Jon Douglas said:Both. There is a little rotation inherent in the movement, but nothing like going up with the intention of dislocating the bar. I don't yet have have im2 at 20kg despite dislocate and flexion movements being very easy at that weight; the movement is quite distinct
Interesting. I was guessing that once we got solid with the dislocates, we wouldn't really need to practice PE1 or 2>iM anymore, but this sounds like a counter argument. Do you still train those two frequently?
NoHiddenCosts said:Interesting. I was guessing that once we got solid with the dislocates, we wouldn't really need to practice PE1 or 2>iM anymore, but this sounds like a counter argument. Do you still train those two frequently?
Yes, before every HS workout (4x a week) I do 10 flexion, extension, prone overgrip and dorsal grip dislocates with an empty bar to loosen up. I find it works very well.
I dropped the flexion reps for a while, but found that I was a bit stiff when I then went for better bridges on my Foundation days, and began bending more from my lower back. Once I picked them up again, that fixed itself. And the building up extension reps weight is important for manna too, definitely something to keep nudging at.
Even if you only do a quick set of them like that as a warmup for dislocate work, consistency definitely adds up.
Jon Douglas said:Yes, before every HS workout (4x a week) I do 10 flexion, extension, prone overgrip and dorsal grip dislocates with an empty bar to loosen up. I find it works very well.
So this is your general warmup, but what kind of protocol do you follow on the days when you're looking to increase dislocate ROM or weight? And does the 10 reps flexion and extension warm up your shoulders enough for full ROM dislocates?
Bipocni said:So this is your general warmup, but what kind of protocol do you follow on the days when you're looking to increase dislocate ROM or weight? And does the 10 reps flexion and extension warm up your shoulders enough for full ROM dislocates?
Yes, they do. I can (standing) dislocate 20kg without a warmup at slighly more than shoulder width now. Building up to that weight (not interested in going heavier) I did them 2x a week, ideally after rings str but any heavy upper body is fine, 2 sets of 5-10. I try to stay at my regular handstand width; better to have that at a lower weight than heavier and wider for sure, but in building it up I've done both.
When I was still working on getting full rom with a light weight, the more shoulder work the better. I outlined a while back my approach in reply to IIRC Ravn's post... 2 secs.
Here we are;
Like Alex, I'm more interested in the prone dislocates now for building the pull from the traps. I'd like those to reach 20kg if I can, and then I would regard it as simply maintenance going forward.
For those of us on PE2, would 3x10 sec shoulder flexion(with increasing the weight gradually) be OK for warmup? Or could we do more? Or maybe less?
Jon Douglas said:....I try to stay at my regular handstand width....
Holding out for that manna dislocate to handstand, yeah?