Inconsistent progress with weight dislocates

Started by Ravn, December 2, 2013 · 3 Replies · 2,076 Views

Ravn

Ok, I think this topic should be in Mobility since I'm not discussing H1 material, but if it does turn H1 specific, Mods, feel free to move the thread.

 

Anyway, my dislocate performance is quite inconsistent. One day it's relatively easy to dislocate 3 kgs @ 85 cm, which is narrow in my world, next session I can barely get below 100 cm, lest I get that twinging sensation in the shoulders. On those days, it feels like there's a locking pin in the shoulders preventing me from dislocating.

 

Anyone else experiencing this?

 

Occasionally I also get significant DOMS in the Teres Minor and Infraspinatus - Is this normal?

 

At present I do dislocates three times/week, and I'm thinking that the pain response may be a sign that I'm not fully recovered between sessions.

 

Also, my left shoulder has had labrum repair done six years ago, and it's significantly more resistant to stretching than the right. For this reason, my progress on dislocates will inevitably be slow.

Adriano Augusto

If you think that you're working too much, is because you're working too much. 

 

Besides, dislocate work is a hell for ligaments and tendons, and we know that these tissues healing slower than muscles.

 

So, take a break; do two session a week, with fully recovery between them. 

 

More doesn't mean better, especially with GST.

 

Good luck ;)

Jon Douglas

I agree. I only work these 2x a week now, which is enough for me to maintain and keep slowly improving. When I was hitting them for 5x5, I made sure to warm right the hell up, do some unweighted ones, and stretch my biceps/pecs first (HBP PE11/122>IM is perfect to add to the other H1 IM's to prep for these).

 

I simply ignored my previous session each time. I put tape on my goal width, started at comfortable, and over the course of the first set, occasionally the 2nd as well, went a little narrower with each rep until I was working at my comfortable limit for the day. Sometimes it was a little less, sometimes it was a little more, but over 4weeks the trend was up. Once I was able to start at the taped width and get them all for 5x5 at that weight I upped it (I think I tested it with 6kg? Seems like a long time ago now). I have never reduced the weight, only increased the width (but obviously that only works if you are quite cautious about adding weight).

 

That was my approach, and it worked to very quickly loosen up everything in my upper back and shoulders :)

RJS

Not sure if i have a good technique, but i train these without weights for a week, then a week with weights. The week with weights becomes easier than without.